The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1, 2020

Andrew P

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, kipford said:

Until the last Q3 run Alex had possibly done enough not sure now, depends on how he races.

But a McLaren has qualified ahead of him - and Horner has spent years telling us all what rubbish Renault engines are....

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

7 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

But a McLaren has qualified ahead of him - and Horner has spent years telling us all what rubbish Renault engines are....

And still no word on an Engine deal and CH said he needed it sorted before the Season end, (which I presume is tomorrow), so he might still be eating humble pie and having a Black and Yellow Diamond on the Bulls and Touri's

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

5 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

LH not 100% so why didn't he let George have another go?

https://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/30502517/hamilton-not-100-percent-covid-19-recovery

Because you don't win 7 world championships if you're the kind of character who takes a day off for not being 100%

He probably absolutely hated seeing someone else do well in his car.

• Agree 9

• RMweb Gold

Alex Albon, HMMMMMMMMMMM. I must admit to being torn. I never like to see a Brit losing his seat, his father is British was born and lived all his life in the UK and has dual nationality so he is not really Thai. He races extremely well most of the time, but he has not performed relative to Max this year and I think Perez actually deserves the seat and would be a great back up to Max. Talking of Max he absolutely drove the b...s off the that car today. As said in an earlier post he is as fast as Lewis on raw pace but is not yet the complete driver.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, kipford said:

Alex Albon, HMMMMMMMMMMM. I must admit to being torn. I never like to see a Brit losing his seat, his father is British was born and lived all his life in the UK and has dual nationality so he is not really Thai. He races extremely well most of the time, but he has not performed relative to Max this year and I think Perez actually deserves the seat and would be a great back up to Max. Talking of Max he absolutely drove the b...s off the that car today. As said in an earlier post he is as fast as Lewis on raw pace but is not yet the complete driver.

RB is centred around MV so would Perez get enough support within the team? They have a bit of a reputation for destroying their number two driver.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

2 hours ago, Zomboid said:

Because you don't win 7 world championships if you're the kind of character who takes a day off for not being 100%

He probably absolutely hated seeing someone else do well in his car.

Exactly. Also you could add that he hasn't signed for next year yet, so showing his commitment to the cause. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Hobby said:

Unless I've misread that it states that it's 15% rising to 33% so they haven't "sold" it. Its an equity injection isn't it? 

Yes, I had already amended it but just after your post, still quite interesting though.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, kipford said:

father is British was born and lived all his life in the UK and has dual nationality so he is not really Thai

Or if you look at it the other way, His mother is Thai, so he's not really British.

In reality he's both "Really British" and "Really Thai". Had to pick one for F1, but one does not diminish the other.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Kept up with developments on the BBC live service, good result - the right top four over the year and RP lost third place as Stroll is not as good as Perez who kept his well deserved fourth overall in the championship.  Pleased to see McLaren got their target third place plus new investment which will be useful next year, Ricciardo's move still looks a better one than Sainz's at the moment.

Roll on 2021 - just three months away.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

I wonder if a 2022 salary cap could influence 2nd driver choices for 21 & 22

George cheaper than Bottas (assuming Lewis doesn’t retire on a high next year)

Albon cheaper than Perez so more for Max

plus, if Perez has a contract elsewhere for 2022, who do RB have ready to take the step up in 2022? I think Albon might just keep his seat after all.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3