The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1, 2020

Andrew P

8 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Both Perez & Hulkenberg are good, consistent drivers but not quite world champion quality.

I think there have been a number of  consistent drivers(and even some inconsistent ones) who weren't quite "world champion quality" who have gone on to win championships, although usually when the field is either somewhat depleted in terms of World Champions, or just that the season has been closely fought with the various drivers all taking points off each other.

Keke Rosberg and Mike Hawthorne each only won one race in their Championship seasons, but had a lot of second places. James Hunt won his championship in a year when his main rival was missing for a large chunk of the season, etc.

Of course, there were other drivers who were World Champion quality who never won one....

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, ejstubbs said:

They turn up from time to time on the Antiques Roadshow.  In good nick they can apparently fetch a surprising amount: this one went for £1,725 (including buyer's premium) at Bonhams no less!

EDIT: Phil's numbers certainly beat the one I found with a quick Google!

Yes but note the date, 2010. 

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Those J40 pedal cars fetch a lot of money for a good'un. £6,000-7,000.

4 hours ago, ejstubbs said:

They turn up from time to time on the Antiques Roadshow.  In good nick they can apparently fetch a surprising amount: this one went for £1,725 (including buyer's premium) at Bonhams no less!

EDIT: Phil's numbers certainly beat the one I found with a quick Google!

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Yes but note the date, 2010. 

Just search ebay for "Austin J40" and see how much some folk think even a rust riddled bodyshell is worth.  You can get a real car for what others are asking for a good example!

As I said...  :(

Edited by Hroth
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, Hroth said:

Just search ebay for "Austin J40" and see how much some folk think even a rust riddled bodyshell is worth.

And then click the "Sold items" filter to see what people actually paid.  Recent going rate on the 'bay for one in decent nick seems to be around £2K.  I suspect that people buying the "barn finds" and such like for several hundred are getting in to it as much for the enjoyment of the restoration project as for any expectation of making lots of money.

Edited by ejstubbs
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Hroth said:

Just search ebay for "Austin J40" and see how much some folk think even a rust riddled bodyshell is worth.  You can get a real car for what others are asking for a good example!

Auction just finished (5/12/20) £3220.

https://www.handh.co.uk/auction/lot/austin-j40-pedal-car/?lot=51602&so=0&st=&sto=0&au=488&ef=&et=&ic=False&sd=0&pp=48&pn=1&g=1

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

2020 has been a brilliant season for watching lesser-mortals cut it at the front. Gasly, Perez, Russell - even Stroll, in fairness. Perez won't truly challenge Max - who still has that gorgeous youthful impetuosity - but he will be a much better team-mate than Albon was found to be. Whether Checo will suffer from loss of the Merc engine is to be discovered. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

J40 peddle cars go for so much now because they are eligible for Goodwood Revival;

https://www.goodwood.com/grr/event-coverage/goodwood-revival/2019/9/video-the-worlds-tiniest-race--the-settrington-cup/

Apparently they have had to get tough on scrutineering in recent years after people were found to be using modern bearings etc.

• Like 2

I’m not so sure that Checko and Max will be a lopsided pairing.  Perez appears to have matured since Ocon was replaced by Stroll as his team-mate (and since he was supposedly no. 2 to Jensen Button), but both have had periods of impetuosity and I have a feeling they might revert to type.  Cue Christian Horner tearing his hair out...

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, SR71 said:

Apparently they have had to get tough on scrutineering in recent years after people were found to be using modern bearings etc.

I wonder if the breaks get tampered with too?

(Originally just a handbrake pulling on a strap around a drum on the rear axle...)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Not sure the rest of the paddock will be rejoicing that it may be business as usual at Merc for the next three years. Toto's vague mentions of other things in life had suggested he'd had enough of a tough schedule year-in, year-out. This paves the way for Lewis to sign up for another season or two, and the team will look very familiar. 

• Agree 7

16 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Lots going on.

Ineos buy in to Mercedes F1, Wolff to stay on as Team Principal/CEO for three years.

Barcelona circuit to be remodelled at turn 10.

https://www.autosport.com/

Re Barcelona - That's great - get rid of a potential passing place on a track that is notoriously hard to pass on!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Not sure the rest of the paddock will be rejoicing that it may be business as usual at Merc for the next three years. Toto's vague mentions of other things in life had suggested he'd had enough of a tough schedule year-in, year-out. This paves the way for Lewis to sign up for another season or two, and the team will look very familiar. 

It's hard to imagine that they'll be far from the front in 2021, but it's possible that someone else will come up with the best car for the new regulations in 2022. After all, a rule change is what knocked Red Bull off their perch.

• Agree 3

11 minutes ago, Zomboid said:

It's hard to imagine that they'll be far from the front in 2021, but it's possible that someone else will come up with the best car for the new regulations in 2022. After all, a rule change is what knocked Red Bull off their perch.

It was, but slightly different.

I saw a documentary about Merc's current dominance. They claimed this developing the car throughout the season is RB's ethos. When they felt they could no longer catch up in the 2013 season, they switched their focus to 2014. They were also quite pleased to win the first race after the summer break because this sold RB the dummy that they were still pushing with their 2013 car, ensuring RB would keep focusing on the 2013 one & be less well prepared for 2014.

We have seen this again in 2020: RB took updates to Abu Dhabi. Why? The only thing which was not decided was P2 in the driver's standings, but Verstappen would have to win & Bottas DNF so what difference would a 0.1s/lap update make to that? An update usually provides less that that anyway.

Merc have not taken any updates to a race since September, which in 2020 terms was a lot of races ago. I therefore expect them to re-establish some of their advantage that RB have been slowly reducing over the past 2-3 months.

I also expect to see something similar after the next major rule changes. The team who start focusing on this first will be in a better position when the rules are in force.

Ferrari conceded the 2020 season as a bad one before it even started & they said they would not recover next year. So are they ploughing their resources into 2021?

• Like 5
  • Agree 2