The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1, 2020

Andrew P

12 minutes ago, Darius43 said:

I don’t think the author would score very highly if this effort was being marked by professional sports reporters, i.e. not his peers.

Awarding George Russell only two stars for not scoring enough points in the Sakhir GP is nothing short of stupidity.

Darius

Yeah, I have agree with that last comment, in fact NO, ALL of your post.:good:

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

The infamous Brabham fan car was a good example. The fan was for downforce but it would never have been allowed just for that....

If it was a part of the cooling system, then this could be classed as its 'primary function'...so it was made an integral part of the cooling system & the authorities were forced to allow it. It was later abandoned by an agreement by all teams, not by rules.

That's not quite how it's described in Wiki and other places.  It's difficult to put together a completely coherent picture of the exact sequence of events but the gist of it seems to be that Bernie Ecclestone - at that time the owner of Brabham - was either in the running for, or had just been chosen to be, the president of FOCA.  Gordon Murray claims that he'd done "due diligence" with the FIA regarding the legality of the car prior to it being raced.  However, after Niki Lauda won the 1978 Swedish GP by a country mile in the BT46B the other FOCA teams either threatened to withdraw their support for his appointment, or to withdraw from FOCA altogether, if the car raced again, so Bernie - with a keen eye for the long game - buckled and withdrew the car from further competition.  So not so much an "agreement" as an ultimatum...

At some point subsequent to that the FIA's International Sporting Commission ruled that fan cars would no longer be allowed; however it seems most likely that this only applied from the start of the 1979 season.  So the concept did end up being banned, but the BT46B itself was legal at the time of the 1978 Swedish GP and Lauda's win stood.

It seems that Lauda himself wasn't keen on the fan car concept, regarding it as being a rather inelegant solution to a problem that only existed because the Alfa flat-12 that Brabham was using would have obstructed proper ground effect venturi tunnels as used on the Lotus 79.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

I find it unlikely that "business skills", honed in the wake of the Eastern Bloc collapse to the extent of becoming a billionaire, will be caring for F1 or seeing any sort of bigger picture in life than money and fame. 

• Agree 13

1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

Tsunoda replaces Kvyat as expected, they would have been better off with Perez or the Hulk IMHO.

https://www.racefans.net/2020/12/16/tsunoda-replaces-kvyat-in-alphatauri-line-up-for-2021/

Maybe they would, but I can understand them taking a risk.

Does he bring any money with him?

Both Perez & Hulkenberg are good, consistent drivers but not quite world champion quality. Tsunoda may be. He may flourish or sink once into F1. It is impossible to tell without giving him a chance.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Hroth said:

That'll be a relief for RB, imagine having to pedal their cars around the track....

They'd never have to resort to that, they have enough hot air from their team principle to cover most race weekends... ;)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

Will these engines also be available to other teams?

I thought that was part of any engine suppliers remit.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Interesting - has the bribery charge against daddy Stroll also gone away i wonder?

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

3 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Maybe they would, but I can understand them taking a risk.

Does he bring any money with him?

Both Perez & Hulkenberg are good, consistent drivers but not quite world champion quality. Tsunoda may be. He may flourish or sink once into F1. It is impossible to tell without giving him a chance.

Tsunoda may be the link that lets them continue to use the Honda Engine after 2021.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

I used to have one of those Austin J40 pedalcars in light blue, they were murder to pedal!

Complete with working lights and horn, powered by 2 EverReady 126 batteries. If you lifted the bonnet there was a fake rocker cover and 4 genuine sparkplugs!

Wish I still had it... 

• Like 2

They turn up from time to time on the Antiques Roadshow.  In good nick they can apparently fetch a surprising amount: this one went for £1,725 (including buyer's premium) at Bonhams no less!

EDIT: Phil's numbers certainly beat the one I found with a quick Google!

Edited by ejstubbs
  • Like 1