The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1, 2020

Andrew P

• RMweb Gold

Well he may be annoyed but like I said above it actually proved something positive about George when it goes wrong so not a total loss ;) 

If they are going to make a mess up best to do it once both titles are sewn up. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, PMW said:

Contracts can be bought out, but not this one as Mercedes have already tried, they tried to get him released to replace VB for 2021 before extending his contract, Williams refused point blank. 

That was with the old Williams Management I believe. The new one was willing to allow him to drive for Mercedes this weekend so might also be open to offers for his contract to bolster the Williams finances.

Perhaps the question should not be whether George Russell is good enough for Mercedes but whether Mercedes are good enough.............

Izzy

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium

A bit more on the tyre cock up .

From Jenny Gow .

I fear that George Russell will get either a penalty or DQ’d after that tyre mix up….if it was a mixed set that is one thing but if it was one tyre from Bottas’ set, that is another matter. Up to the FIA to decide. #F1

And from Sky ,

Bottas' tyres were first incorrectly fitted to Russell's car,

Edited by Sidecar Racer
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well it proved he can handle the ultimate car in traffic and having to fight. That might well have been a question after his safety car crash and I think he’s answered it rather well. 
Gutting for him but I suspect ultimately has guaranteed him a seat in 22. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

1 minute ago, ess1uk said:

Which is what I ssid

and I think we are both wrong, I'm fairly sure the reference to tyres of differing specifications refers to mixing hard and medium for example, but from one cars own allocation, not using tyres allocated to another car. 

I can find no specific penalty for running on someone else's tyres, which normally means it is not permitted full stop and therefore, I fear, a DQ

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gareth Collier said:

Crofty has just explained that it looks like George will be disqualified as one lap on 2 of Valteries meant he exceeded the tire allocation.

Which is what I originally said .....

He might get away with it if he has a set of unused softs that he didn't use in qualifying but that's unlikely as the mercs did an extra run in Q3

Edited by PMW
  • Like 1

Agreed, and the problem is they are often incomplete or open to interpretation, then there is always the option for the FIA to over turn any regulation if it sees extenuating circumstances, so even if the rule is clear the outcome might not be ... 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, PMW said:

Agreed, and the problem is they are often incomplete or open to interpretation, then there is always the option for the FIA to over turn any regulation if it sees extenuating circumstances, so even if the rule is clear the outcome might not be ... 

Unfortunately George wasn’t driving a Ferrari... 

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Bulleidboy100 said:

I turned off the TV as soon as the trophies had been presented. Did they not say  the first lap incident would be considered after the race - what was the outcome?

3 place grid penalty for Leclerc at the next race

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Just catching up on Teds notebook - apparently there is an FIA email saying that if any attendees from the GP’s in Bahrain test positive for COVID-19 they they can’t travel to Abu Dhabi next week. It’s not clear if that applies to drivers as well. I’d like to see Lewis well enough to race but it would be good to see George race in the Mercedes again next week.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2