The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1, 2020

Andrew P

10 Minutes to go in FP1

Russell (Mercedes, 54.546)

Verstappen (Red Bull, +0.176)

Albon (Red Bull, +0.265)

Bottas (Mercedes, +0.322)

Kvyat (Alpha Tauri, +0.465)

Gasly (Alpha Tauri, +0.62)

Ocon (Renault, +0.727)

Vettel (Ferrari, +0.735)

Ricciardo (Renault, +0.833)

Leclerc (Ferrari, +0.903)

• Like 4

I know this is the F1 thread but watching the first full day of WRC action at Monza has been very interesting. Getting to see some of the 'offstage' areas of the F1 circuit is a highlight and the amount of rain they are getting has made things very tricky for the Drivers.

Wales Rally GB on slick tyres has been mentioned with all the mud sections on the stages. Many opting for Snow tyres!

Edited by LNERandBR
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

10 Minutes to go in FP1

Russell (Mercedes, 54.546)

Verstappen (Red Bull, +0.176)

Albon (Red Bull, +0.265)

Bottas (Mercedes, +0.322)

Kvyat (Alpha Tauri, +0.465)

Gasly (Alpha Tauri, +0.62)

Ocon (Renault, +0.727)

Vettel (Ferrari, +0.735)

Ricciardo (Renault, +0.833)

Leclerc (Ferrari, +0.903)

Nearly 0.2 of a second is impressive on a short track. And more than 0.3 over the guy in the same car!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Bottas 4th which does NOT bode well, Is there a clause that says Toto can swap Bottas for Russell as they are both Merc Drivers?

Probably not a specific clause but I expect both contracts have the ability to be bought out...

However we're only on FP1, and it looks like Bottas just couldn't get the balance right - if they can sort the setup out for him, he may make a come back

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, Derails Models said:

Probably not a specific clause but I expect both contracts have the ability to be bought out...

However we're only on FP1, and it looks like Bottas just couldn't get the balance right - if they can sort the setup out for him, he may make a come back

Yes, I was getting a bit over excited, haha.:laugh:

• Funny 4

2 hours ago, Gareth Collier said:

Nope, DAS is correct. It's the Merc's system to change the angle of their front wheels to warm the tyres quicker.

DAS is not primarily a tyre warming device. A formula one car normally uses positive toe or "toe in" on the front wheels meaning the wheels are pointing ever so slightly towards each other. This improves stability when steering and allows the car to corner much faster. The down side to this is that on long straights the tyres are not pointing straight down the track so scrub slightly, adding to tyre wear and inhibiting top speed. It is therefore a trade off, add more for better cornering and lose speed on the straights, which could limit your ability to overtake, or add less for better straight line speed but slower cornering meaning it is more difficult to create an overtaking opportunity. 

DAS changes the toe angle when the steering wheel is pulled towards the driver removing the positive toe so the wheels point straight ahead. This means Mercedes can have the best of both worlds. They can add more toe than normal to improve cornering then the driver can remove it on the long straights to reduce wear and improve top speed. Originally seen as something of a gimmick it is thought that on some circuits it can be worth as much as three tenths of a second per lap, which in F1 terms is massive. 

It can be used to warm the tyres, by not using it and leaving the higher angle on the front wheels the tyres will scrub harder and warm faster. DAS was deemed legal at the start of this season despite a number of protests from other teams but has been outlawed for next year by a technical rule revision. With this in mind Valtteri is not using it this weekend, though Russell does have it. I sense a prebuilt excuse for Bottas just in case Russell beats him. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Zomboid said:

Steady on. He was a good driver yesterday, he's a good driver today.

It couldn't have started any better for him today, and I doubt he's going to be driving for Williams in 2022, but it's only FP1. He could yet qualify in 15th.

Your a bundle of joy today Zomboid, haha:laugh:

• Funny 4

6 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Your a bundle of joy today Zomboid, haha:laugh:

Not at all, I'm really happy to see him succeeding in FP1.

But that is all it is, FP1. It means nothing much really. It's better to do well in it than not, but if he'd come 10th then we wouldn't be writing him off, because it's only FP1.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

27 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Bottas 4th which does NOT bode well, Is there a clause that says Toto can swap Bottas for Russell as they are both Merc Drivers?

You know better than to judge performance from FP1. :biggrin_mini2:

Some drivers will be wanting to see how hard they can push. Russell will certainly be trying to do that. If I had a genuine chance of finishing fastest in any F1 session for the first time, I would certainly go for it.

Others will be trying slightly different setups, experimenting with attacking different kerbs (especially on the lesser known part of the circuit), gathering data for the team or simply saving the engine for when it is needed most.

That raises a question..what engine/gearbox etc. allocation limit is Russell restricted by? Hamilton's quota? It can't be his own Williams one. What if it is Hamilton's & he blows the last available engine? Does this mean Hamilton has to take a grid penalty in Abu Dhabi because someone else has blown his engine?

Drivers seemed to be regularly exceeding track limits on the section new to this week. They wouldn't do if they weren't gaining an advantage. We may therefore see times deleted for doing this tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

27 minutes ago, PMW said:

DAS is not primarily a tyre warming device. A formula one car normally uses positive toe or "toe in" on the front wheels meaning the wheels are pointing ever so slightly towards each other. This improves stability when steering and allows the car to corner much faster. The down side to this is that on long straights the tyres are not pointing straight down the track so scrub slightly, adding to tyre wear and inhibiting top speed. It is therefore a trade off, add more for better cornering and lose speed on the straights, which could limit your ability to overtake, or add less for better straight line speed but slower cornering meaning it is more difficult to create an overtaking opportunity. 

DAS changes the toe angle when the steering wheel is pulled towards the driver removing the positive toe so the wheels point straight ahead. This means Mercedes can have the best of both worlds. They can add more toe than normal to improve cornering then the driver can remove it on the long straights to reduce wear and improve top speed. Originally seen as something of a gimmick it is thought that on some circuits it can be worth as much as three tenths of a second per lap, which in F1 terms is massive. 

It can be used to warm the tyres, by not using it and leaving the higher angle on the front wheels the tyres will scrub harder and warm faster. DAS was deemed legal at the start of this season despite a number of protests from other teams but has been outlawed for next year by a technical rule revision. With this in mind Valtteri is not using it this weekend, though Russell does have it. I sense a prebuilt excuse for Bottas just in case Russell beats him. 

Indeed but I was just pointing out that DAS was correct with a brief description of what it is rather than the technical manual;)

• Like 2