The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1, 2020

Andrew P

• RMweb Gold

A great opportunity for George. 

I don't expect him to qualify much higher than 4th or 5th, but given that he does appear to look after his tyres (wamup error ignored), he could give Bottas an interesting battle. Hopefully he can have a good race, finishing somewhere around Perez (assuming engine holds up) and beating Albon. Can't see him beating Bottas or Verstappen though.

Will Perez have an engine penalty,  surely must have used his allocation?

• Agree 2

In theory I think Bottas and Max will outqualify him. Albon I'm not sure given that he's often ending up lower down the starting grid then you'd expect a RB to be.

Hopefully he'll be in the top 5 positions but exactly where I'm not sure. It all depends on how he gells with the car in Practice.

No matter what happens, I've got two Britons that I'm rooting for this weekend. George Russell in F1 and Elfyn Evans in the WRC :good: 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, LNERandBR said:

In theory I think Bottas and Max will outqualify him. Albon I'm not sure given that he's often ending up lower down the starting grid then you'd expect a RB to be.

Hopefully he'll be in the top 5 positions but exactly where I'm not sure. It all depends on how he gells with the car in Practice.

No matter what happens, I've got two Britons that I'm rooting for this weekend. George Russell in F1 and Elfyn Evans in the WRC :good: 

And also Jack Aitken in the Williams to beat Latifi.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

46 minutes ago, Hobby said:

Perhaps we should have a prediction competition?! No prizes though!! 

I'll go for 4th in qualli and same in the race. 

Lewis's first Race with McLaren he qualified 3rd, GR is at about the same level with a Car that was at the same Level back then. He also set faster times in the Merc than both Lewis and Bottas in testing.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Zomboid said:

What colour will "Aston Martin" paint their Merc, that's the real question...

I've read the decision has already been made - it will be British Racing Green - incorporating a shade of pink!

Edited by Bulleidboy100
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Zomboid said:

What colour will "Aston Martin" paint their Merc, that's the real question...

58 minutes ago, Bulleidboy100 said:

I've read the decision has already been made - it will be British Racing Green - incorporating a shade of pink!

I was going to suggest British racing green. Now we just need to see Renault in French Blue.:jester:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andrew P said:

And also Jack Aitken in the Williams to beat Latifi.

Latifi did well in F2, is there any reason to really expect someone to come in at 5 minutes notice and be better than someone with a good history in lower formulas and a season of experience in the car?

I'd back Latifi in that particular battle.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

I was going to suggest British racing green. Now we just need to see Renault in French Blue.:jester:

And Mercedes back in silver....

Incidentally, this will be the first Formula One race in which Mercedes haven't had a World Champion driving for them!

Edited by RJS1977
  • Informative/Useful 3

2 minutes ago, black and decker boy said:

Maybe not a current World Champion but maybe, just maybe, a future one in dear old George 

And of course nothing to say Bottas might not win a Championship or two as and when Lewis decides to call it a day...

Mischeivous thought I had earlier in the day though - if Lewis fails to test negative in time for Abu Dhabi, and George wins both, how might that affect Lewis's contract renegotiations? ;-)

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

31 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

And Mercedes back in silver....

Incidentally, this will be the first Formula One race in which Mercedes haven't had a World Champion driving for them!

Since they took over Brawn... Were they in that situation the first time round too?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zomboid said:

Since they took over Brawn... Were they in that situation the first time round too?

Yes - Mercedes were only in F1 for a very short period in the 50s - they joined F1 partway through the 1954 season. The 1955 season was curtailed following the Le Mans disaster, and Mercedes withdrew from all forms of motor sport at the end of that year.

Juan Manuel Fangio drove for them in every race in that short period.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zomboid said:

Worst case is were both misinformed in the same way then

To be fair, I'd first read that this would be Merc's first race without a World Champion from a post on their Facebook page. However I wasn't sure whether that included the 1950s or was just in reference to the post-Brawn era.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

And of course nothing to say Bottas might not win a Championship or two as and when Lewis decides to call it a day...

Mischeivous thought I had earlier in the day though - if Lewis fails to test negative in time for Abu Dhabi, and George wins both, how might that affect Lewis's contract renegotiations? ;-)

And another mischevious thought, how about he beats Bottas, and Bottas decides to retire having seen Grosjeans Crash, even though he has a contract.

Vettle decides to do the same leaving the seat free for Perez.:dancer::haha:

I'm off now for my medication:laugh:

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

11 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

To be fair, I'd first read that this would be Merc's first race without a World Champion from a post on their Facebook page. However I wasn't sure whether that included the 1950s or was just in reference to the post-Brawn era.

1954 and 1955 Juan Manuel Fangio

2010 to 2012 Michael Schumacher

2013 to 2020 Lewis Hamilton

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hroth said:

Might be embarassing for Bottas if he did...  :taunt:

Bottas can out qualify Lewis on occasion, so he'd probably have to have a proper off day to be beaten by Russell given the experience and familiarity gap. But on a track with a likely lap time under 60s, the margins are going to be so tight that anything is possible.

Not that I'd wish the plague on anyone, but having Russell in the Merc (and Aiken in the Williams) provides some extra interest to a race where nothing much is at stake in championship terms. I'm quite excited to see how they both do.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3