The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1, 2020

Andrew P

Lots of tests I expect...

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Whoever gets Hamiltons seat, It'll give Verstappen a chance to finish first!

Or Perez...

Or...

:)

Bottas... Give the guy a break, for Pete's sake!! ;)

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, Hobby said:

Bottas... Give the guy a break, for Pete's sake!! ;)

Why? Race in, race out, Bottas has what we believe to be the best all-round car on the grid, and he is often not even second to Lewis. Max has a car that is only nearly as good, but is seen to wring its neck every lap. Sakhir is indeed Bottas's chance to get 26 points. We will see. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

You could be spot in there Ian.

Mazepin senior tried to buy Force India. Gene Haas was going to close the team down, but a deal was allegedly struck. No official confirmation likely until the season is over. 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

I'd love to see Russell get it, but I suspect Vandoorne must be favourite. I suspect Bottas would prefer Vandoorne as well, he really doesn't want Russell potentially showing him up.

Edited by Hobby
  • Agree 5

1 hour ago, Hobby said:

I'd love to see Russell get it, but I suspect Vandoorne must be favourite. I suspect Bottas would prefer Vandoorne as well, he really doesn't want Russell potentially showing him up.

Yes, I too would like to see Russell be able to show his true speed and potential, but I think your right about Vandoorne.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Had Vandoorne been first choice, Mercedes would have announced straight off, so they must be considering their options? Bottas will not cares who his partner is, he has a contract for next year! Also they will not be as quick as Lewis and an inform Bottas can match Lewis in qualifying and just about on race pace, he is just not a complete a driver.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I'd love to see Russell having a go in a top car, but would it be setting him up to fail to do so at such short notice? If it were a few races so he'd have a chance to get his feet under the table and then show what he can do that would be one thing, but this will most likely only be the one race, in a relatively unfamiliar car on 3 days notice.

• Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

I suspect Williams would be loathe to let their driver with the best potential to get them off the ground with some points go for the last two races. The team isn’t in need of any points so they don’t need to upset another team but just put on a good show so Van Dorne seems a sensible option. 
George Russell isn’t doing his standing any harm with his mature reactions to the frustrations of the weakest car. When he does get the  right machine he’ll have really earnt it and those who matter appreciate how he’s dealing with it and no doubt know he’s learning a lot about developing the car. It’s clear he’d rather be higher but he’s focused on the reality so he’s been paying attention to what Toto has said about teamwork. Smart lad ;) 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PaulRhB said:

I suspect Williams would be loathe to let their driver with the best potential to get them off the ground with some points go for the last two races. The team isn’t in need of any points so they don’t need to upset another team but just put on a good show so Van Dorne seems a sensible option. 
George Russell isn’t doing his standing any harm with his mature reactions to the frustrations of the weakest car. When he does get the  right machine he’ll have really earnt it and those who matter appreciate how he’s dealing with it and no doubt know he’s learning a lot about developing the car. It’s clear he’d rather be higher but he’s focused on the reality so he’s been paying attention to what Toto has said about teamwork. Smart lad ;) 

The downside of Russell being at Williams is that he isn't learning anything much from being in a slow car with a slow team driver. If he was in a better car with a more experienced fellow driver, it would probably improve his performance more.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

The downside of Russell being at Williams is that he isn't learning anything much from being in a slow car with a slow team driver. If he was in a better car with a more experienced fellow driver, it would probably improve his performance more.

True as well but when the Williams is the only option you’re in a better position than the Hulk has been this year I suppose. Very hard to judge until he gets a better car or the Williams moves up a gear. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The 2 track marshalls have been recognised for their efforts.

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/24096/12147865/martin-brundle-romain-grosjeans-crash-escape-and-the-miracles-of-bahrain

"Pivotal to all this was Corporal Thayer Ali Taher who crossed the track after the pack was gone and the medical car had stopped, his extinguisher appearing to create a protective cell around the cockpit zone.

Another marshal Sergeant John Matthew on the other side of the barrier was effective too. Both men were from the Bahrain civil defence and were promoted the very next morning, Taher to Sergeant and Matthew to Sergeant Major."

Edited by Night Train
  • Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

On Autosport site. Russell is favourite. Decision tomorrow, with negotiations currently ongoing. Seems Vandorne and Russell are the only two to have had seat fittings, which rules out the Hulk. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4