The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1, 2020

Andrew P

• RMweb Gold

As for the intended increase in wheel diameter to 18", presumably this will make an F1 car feel even less sprung, as the tyre profile will be lower. Bouncing across kerbs would become even more painful on the driver's body. Is that part of the intention? 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

A lot of an F1 cars suspension comes from tyre deformation. With smaller tyre walls the teams will need to design more suspension movement to compensate. Of course, they'll want to minimise movement as much as possible due to the tight 'car to track' height tolerances and effects moving suspension has on airflow over the car.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

As for the intended increase in wheel diameter to 18", presumably this will make an F1 car feel even less sprung, as the tyre profile will be lower. Bouncing across kerbs would become even more painful on the driver's body. Is that part of the intention? 

I seem to recall the move to 18" wheels was to make the tyres more relevant to road cars. Because F1 cars are so so similar to our everyday drivers and we all drive on tyres that last 200 miles...

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, 57xx said:

I seem to recall the move to 18" wheels was to make the tyres more relevant to road cars. Because F1 cars are so so similar to our everyday drivers and we all drive on tyres that last 200 miles...

And so many of us have the sort of car that is delivered with 18" wheels........

20 years ago I bought a hot hatch that came with 195/45 tyres on 15" rims. Now I drive a modest estate car that has 195/55 tyres on 16" rims. Evidently I'm getting there....

Edited by Oldddudders
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 57xx said:

1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

And so many of us have the sort of car that is delivered with 18" wheels........

20 years ago I bought a hot hatch that came with 195/45 tyres on 15" rims. Now I drive a modest estate car that has 195/55 tyres on 16" rims. Evidently I'm getting there....

Most of the cars I've seen on the road with 18" rims and skinny tyres don't have indicators, just like F1 cars.:jester:

• Like 2
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

My car has 20” wheels, W speed rated tyres (168mph) with reinforced side walls and Mud and Snow rating. I don’t think it is fast enough even to be a pace car though in F1. 
It does have indicators!

Edited by Tony_S
Added for indicators!
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

My car has 20” wheels, W speed rated tyres (168mph) with reinforced side walls and Mud and Snow rating. I don’t think it is fast enough even to be a pace car though in F1. 
It does have indicators!

Quite high speed ratings for a tractor.

Having said that, my Landrover has similar rated boots.....

.....   well, you never know when the moment will strike.  :boast:

Julian

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Half a second off Verstappen still. McLaren’s bad day belies his underperformance! If he’s in the seat in March I’ll eat my hat. Would like to see Perez or the Hulk; possibly the latter given the number of people who’ve backed him, yet he’s never had a podium!

The wheel size thing is a bit odd, I think the 18s look totally odd! Does it somehow mean more technological relevance for Pirelli, rather than an aesthetic relevance? My Golf has 19” wheels though, and indicators. It’s brilliant for pootling along at 30mph in traffic!

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, njee20 said:

Half a second off Verstappen still. McLaren’s bad day belies his underperformance! If he’s in the seat in March I’ll eat my hat. Would like to see Perez or the Hulk; possibly the latter given the number of people who’ve backed him, yet he’s never had a podium!

The wheel size thing is a bit odd, I think the 18s look totally odd! Does it somehow mean more technological relevance for Pirelli, rather than an aesthetic relevance? My Golf has 19” wheels though, and indicators. It’s brilliant for pootling along at 30mph in traffic!

I feel the fact that Perez is always there, or there about's, and the Hulk hasn't had a Podium makes more sense for Perez to have the seat, and maybe the Hulk to either Haas or Alpha Touri.

The one that worries me is Russel, yes he is learning his craft, but another year in a slow Car, to wait for a decent seat at probably Merc, AND, that is always assuming Merc are as good in 2022 under the new Regs.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Yes, I'd really like to see Russell in a real car, given the vein of form he seems to have found - he's been crushing Latifi in quali. Such a shame he crashed at Portimao when on for points. But as you say, all the time he's part of the Mercedes development program he'll probably be waiting for a seat in the silver black arrows.

• Like 4