The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1, 2020

Andrew P

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Gareth Collier said:

Lewis has just proved he is a class above everyone else. What a stunning race from him. Congratulations.

Ps, blimey Seb.

And a strong race from Sergio Perez. It'll be an injustice if he doesn't get an F1 seat next year, against some of the "less expert" pay drivers,

• Agree 13

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, john new said:

Should be a mandatory thing, if you want to be a British citizen, wherever you choose to be domiciled, you must pay British taxes.

Really.

My father was a Merchant seaman and spent more than 330 days a year out of this country, by default he didn't pay UK tax. Did this mean he shouldn't have qualified for British Citizenship ?

There is a parallel with F1as all the races bar one are in other countries, and with a long season the amount of time spent here could easily mean that the amount of time spent here is less than the 90 days that you currently have to be to pay tax.

• Agree 5
  • Round of applause 1

So by that logic anyone with a foreign nationality but living in the UK shouldn't pay any taxes to the UK... Should make things interesting... 

I feel we have to accept that people will always try to reduce the tax they pay... 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, john new said:

personally I think if you want to be British, with the associated benefits, you pay our taxes.

What benefits do you think you get ?  I well remember Dad having to pay for things like his medicals as he wasn't allowed them on the NHS and yet he worked for one of the biggest companies in the UK that still form one of the bigger holdings in UK pension funds due to the dividend paid. 

There is a lot of 'fake news' about those that work overseas and what tax they pay when there is little understanding of what being a British Citizen actually gives them. HMRC at the time were very generous with their allowances for those that worked overseas,  as there was the realisation that they brought back wealth to this country.

Apologies to all for :offtopic:

Edited by chris p bacon
  • Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

When it comes to paying taxes as long as none of his income does not come from the British taxpayer I don't see a problem. It's when certain very wealthy people* who do not pay any tax profit by providing 'services' to government departments such as the NHS avoid taxes. If they want the business they should pay tax in this country.

*RB is a prime example.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I have now voluntarilly deleted my earlier posts - too hasty a comment and yes it is off topic. 

I have very strong views about tax havens, especially the UK one's, but inappropriate for this forum thread.

Edited by john new
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Hobby said:

Back on topic... 

Vettel voted driver of the day... 

Mmmm... 

Well, it was a much better drive than he had managed in the rest of the season, and he was pretty well there with Leclerc in the same car. Like Lewis, the Ferrari drivers seemed to learn how to handle the track as it evolved. And Seb, having made a cracking start from 11th, to be 3rd at the end of lap 1, fended off Lewis for ages. He also survived a laggardly pitstop. I'm no Vettel fan, but today he earned his fee. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

Listened today on 5Live, I'll definitely have to watch the highlights show!

I think ALL the drivers must have demonstrated their skills, on a wet track that was newly laid with a grade of tarmac that any of the tyres were not designed to interface with.  Amazingly, you can't even blame Pirelli for that!  Hamilton once again showed why he is the champion driver once again, but hats off to Perez for doing so well, and to Vettel, who found that Ferrari had designed a car for such conditions and who demonstrated his off-track sportsmanship by being the first to congratulate Hamilton.

So, will Hamilton go on to make a clean sweep of the rest of the races, or take things easy for the rest of the season?  :scratchhead:

• Like 3

There have been comments on this thread, not unreasonable ones, asking if Hamilton is seriously worth six or eight times the salary of the likes of Verstappen or Leclerc. 

He has just proved he is, and why Mercedes are offering him a blank cheque, quite possibly making him the highest paid sportsman in the world to go back next season. 

• Agree 5

Interesting to see how much outward distortion there is across the tread, when stopped and cold, compared to the level profile when warmed and subject to the outward rotational forces.  Often spoken about but seldom so clearly illustrated.

Julian

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Well done Lewis :)  He never stops wanting and so glad he decided to take the punt on tyres with two laps to go. Nice to see gut feelings crown it with style rather than playing it safe. 

What fun, 2020 may be hell generally but boy has it made F1 more interesting. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 11

2 hours ago, jcredfer said:

It's rumoured that Verstappen and Bottas have been approached to do Strictly, next year.....

To quote one K Minogue "I'm spinning around ". Its usually on Seb Vettels play list, but I think he managed to keep it feet first for a change. 

• Like 4

O.K. So I've kept away until now having watched the C4 coverage, and what a Race it was.

As pointed out, and in no particular order.

No Crashes.

Hard, but probably a good lesson for Stroll.

Great for Perez.

Great for Norris, Fastest Lap.

Excellent for Seb, He must have brought his lucky pants with him this weekend.:o

But once again, Lewis Hamilton has show, just why he is the 7 times World Champion. He trusted his Tyre's, He trusted his instincts in deteriorating  conditions on the final two Laps, and hardly put a wheel wrong all day today. And this is from a Driver who missed most of FP3 yesterday, and had some real work to do today.

Arise ...........? Lewis Hamilton.:good: 

• Like 8
  • Agree 4

Commentary highlight from DC: “Vettel’s had an out of body experience as he’s gained six places on the opening lap”.  After all the knocking we’ve given him, he drove an excellent race, and helped prove that being that bit older and wiser can outsmart the young guns - sometimes.

Lovely to see him being the first to congratulate Lewis.

• Like 1
  • Agree 11