The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1, 2020

Andrew P

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

They are supposed to be drivers at the top of the pile.

Just get out there and prove it.

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Slippery Turkey?

14 hours ago, newbryford said:

They are supposed to be drivers at the top of the pile.

Just a blog headline, the (middle tier) drivers quoted seemed to be commenting rather than complaining. Looking at the practices so far, there's not much info to be drawn as an onlooker, its just drivers getting the feel of the track with the tyres their teams are considering using.

No point in getting excited by the times posted either.

Its what happens in Q1/2/3 that matters!

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Practice, not Quali! ;)

I saw some of each session. The track has recently been resurfaced & it is so smooth that it is shiny. They also seem to be washing it overnight, which is not helping matters at all. Grip levels are expected to improve over the weekend.

Pirelli supplied their 3 hardest tyre compounds for this race but conditions are a lot cooler than expected so they are not ideal tyres for the conditions. Some teams are therefore keeping back their softer sets for qualifying & the race. Verstappen set his best P2 times on soft tyres, but Hamilton was on Mediums.

P1 times were about 10 seconds slower than 9 years ago when the last GP was held there.

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

25 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

First corner could be fun.:sungum:

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

First corner could be fun.:sungum:

Maybe it is good news for George Russell being at the back, let all the others crash into each other, avoid the mayhem and end the first lap on 10th place....

• Like 5

1 minute ago, 37114 said:

Maybe it is good news for George Russell being at the back, let all the others crash into each other, avoid the mayhem and end the first lap on 10th place....

It will save the trauma of trying to pass Vettel and Gosjean on the Track

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Another 2020 random factor drops in but before the race this time ;)  This year is full of surprises and challenges on track too. Even with Lewis’ usual mastery in the wet the psychological problem is seeing dry but it feeling like wet so it’s going to be tiring and mistakes are likely near the end. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Are F1 using Covid as a cover to select tracks that haven't been used for F1 in decades, requiring a resurface for when the circus rolls into town just because they want to make things more "entertaining" and difficult for faster cars to navigate?

Personally, I think there are too many races in the calendar now and some of the "newer" tracks could do with being stripped out and these older tracks used more frequently to bed their surfaces in for F1 use.

Of course, money talks, and the investors need to recover their pound of flesh...

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Even if they do get some rubber down on the track I predict chaos whenever anyone goes off line to overtake. 

10+ seconds of past quali times is an age, even if that’s just practice times. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

All across a particular race weekend, physiotherapist Angela Cullen is a near-constant presence at the side of her charge Lewis Hamilton – a fact which has even earned her cult status among some F1 fans. And standing on the brink of his seventh championship, Hamilton has hailed the relationship the pair enjoy as “the greatest partnership”. New Zealand-born Cullen – who like many performance coaches working in F1 is part of the Hintsa Performance company, started by legendary fitness guru Dr Aki Hintsa – began working with Hamilton at the start of the 2016 season, with the six-time champion praising the positive impact Cullen had had on his performances.

“People for sure won’t understand it, naturally, because they see it from a distance, but she has been one of the greatest things that’s happened to me in my life,” said Hamilton. “I’ve been fortunate to work with a lot of people… and she’s the single hardest-working woman that I get to be around.”

image.png.a2d398d2a6edeaf5dee7e2a4e780b06d.png

“She’s focused, selfless, and she makes my weekends peaceful,” Hamilton added. “Every day I wake up, whatever time it is, she’s just positive – never a single day has she been negative, so that’s very, very important.

“I think it’s important in life to put positive people around you. You can’t be going around with deadweights, you can’t be going around with people who don’t inspire you to be better and lift you up when you’re down. You need to be around people who can do that for you, and she’s one of them.”

“When you come into Formula 1, there’s this whole idea of physios, but a lot of them, or some of them, are just trainers,” said Hamilton. “They still take on the title of ‘physio’ – but a physio is a physiotherapist, and for years, I’d always had a male trainer, but I noticed that I was always having different problems. I’d have, like, muscle tightness in my neck, or I’d have problems with my lower back, or glute, whatever it might be, and my trainer could never fix it.”

Of course whatever Cullen has done for Hamilton appears to be working, with the Mercedes driver in a position to be able to claim his seventh drivers’ title – and his fourth since the he and Cullen began working together – at this weekend’s Turkish Grand Prix, should he fly out of Istanbul with a more than 78-point advantage over team mate Valtteri Bottas.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2