The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1, 2020

Andrew P

17 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

F1 is essentially a European sport. Races in these rich backwaters hold little appeal, be they circuit or street. 

I understand the feeling, but I also believe a world championship should be just that, not a European series. F1's core may be Europe, but it usually includes other continents, except Africa. Maybe a South African, Nigerian, Kenyan or Egyptian GP would be more appropriate?

In the US, some of national championships are labelled "World Series" which is pretentious.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I understand the feeling, but I also believe a world championship should be just that, not a European series. F1's core may be Europe, but it usually includes other continents, except Africa. Maybe a South African, Nigerian, Kenyan or Egyptian GP would be more appropriate?

In the US, some of national championships are labelled "World Series" which is pretentious.

The European F1 circuits grew organically over time and tend to be more "atmospheric". Recently created circuits, backed by regimes that see F1 as a way to improve their world wide credentials, tend to be less attractive from a spectator/viewer perspective. The ultimate worst cases are the so called street circuits used in FE. Night races also lack the natural surroundings of day races that add to the visual experience. Singapore has some delightful trackside architecture but during a night race you could be anywhere.

Sadly, FOM's chase for greater revenue and profits, with more races in the calendar will only make things worse. If there could be more races at some of the older F1 tracks (brought suitably up to date for FOM's hospitality/celebrity party requirements) I am sure it would be better than more desert venue/nighttime events.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Pete the Elaner said:

A few more races in the Southern hemisphere would be better than some of the current ones.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Historically because they were sponsored by the 'World' newspaper as I understand it...

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

I does seem that F1 is rather taking the P**s with it's statement and hoping that most of the readers - can't.

"We take our responsibilities very seriously and have made our position on human rights and other issues clear to all our partners and host countries who commit to respect human rights in the way their events are hosted and delivered."

News of the race follows the addition of Saudi Arabia's state-owned oil company, Aramco, as a global partner of Formula One in March.

Endquote.

I don't know about anyone else, but that doesn't quite seem to be in line with the International interpretation of how and where Human Rights should be applied.  "Well we haven't had anyone murdered and dismembered at any recent motor races, so we are completely able to demonstrate our perfectly acceptable Human Rights record."  Are a few blood stained Shekels really worth that much?

Julian

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 minute ago, Oldddudders said:

I'm afraid you already know the answer to that. Liberty are not interested in human rights or motor racing. Money is the only objective. 

Indeed I do, sadly.

Nice to know that our high minded investigative freedom of the Press will have them be setting their "Hounds" free on the chase, or will they cower in the gutter, overshadowed by all that money - again?

Got the answer to that one too.

Julian

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, jcredfer said:

"Well we haven't had anyone murdered and dismembered at any recent motor races, so we are completely able to demonstrate our perfectly acceptable Human Rights record."  Are a few blood stained Shekels really worth that much?

Julian

So will you stop watching?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

14 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

I'm afraid you already know the answer to that. Liberty are not interested in human rights or motor racing. Money is the only objective. 

All of which makes an irony of the company being called Liberty...

steve

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

And the teams aren't exactly whiter-than-white, either. They happily strut their stuff on circuits where the governing regime is far from benign, and at least one team is in considerable hock to a Middle-East Wealth Fund. 

It's a trough, and everyone wants their snoutful.

• Agree 8

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

And the teams aren't exactly whiter-than-white, either. They happily strut their stuff on circuits where the governing regime is far from benign, and at least one team is in considerable hock to a Middle-East Wealth Fund. 

It's a trough, and everyone wants their snoutful.

That can be said of many organisations other than the FIA. But thats for discussion elsewhere.

• Agree 4

8 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

So will you stop watching?

Yes you're quite right, probably not, as whether I do or not, won't have the slightest effect and to be honest, it would be the racing teams I will be watching, not the F1 Board in action.   :nea_mini:

I simply don't like hypocrisy and public statements intended to cover it up.

Julian

Edited by jcredfer
  • Like 1

On 06/11/2020 at 09:55, Oldddudders said:

F1 is essentially a European sport. Races in these rich backwaters hold little appeal, be they circuit or street. 

It's mostly a TV sport, as this year has proven. They could hold the races anywhere, and there's no reason why they couldn't build a decent circuit outside the traditional places, they just haven't.

Also there's a strong history of F1 in South America (at least two of the greatest ever are from there in Senna and Fangio), plus Australia, Japan and Canada have held races for a very long time.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

There have been several cases in F1 this season & they seem to carry on with minimal fuss.

Their test & quarantine procedure seems to be working well.

• Agree 5