The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1, 2020

Andrew P

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

Thankyou. I managed to miss the first 15 laps or so, but Vettel seemed to be driving rather well, until the buffoons in his pit got it wrong. But if he was the cause of Bottas's floor damage it was indeed justice. 

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I understand that he hit something and bits of his car were left on the track. A very bad performance from the stewards.

Can SV claim that part of his car finished second?

Although technically, it would be a lap down........................

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

7 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

I'm not sure when Vettel would have had chance to hit Bottas though - Bottas started on the front row and ran at the front for the first part of the race. Vettel was well down the field.

7 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I understand that he hit something and bits of his car were left on the track. A very bad performance from the stewards.

The Vet hit and spun the Haas on one of the opening laps, that must have been when it was broken and Bottas  went over it next time around

• Agree 4

10 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

"Let’s continue to make history together"

Which is consistent with the article. If you ignore the headline what he actually says in the article is that he wants to continue racing but wants Toto to stay in charge, something which is also currently in doubt as he hasn't renewed his "contract" beyond this year. I can see his point, under Toto he always knows where he stands, a new manager could change all that.

Perhaps they'll have a joint signing of contracts... Hopefully!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

To some extent, Lewis and Toto have done it all, and are reflecting on life's values.

I think this week's location may be relevant, as may last week's broken record. Neither Senna nor Schumacher were able to bask in their achievements after retiring. Lewis is thus being confronted with previous greats that he may wish not to emulate off the track. He has a zillion other things he wants to do. Toto may be less comfy with new directions at Daimler-Benz. And for anyone in F1 in 2020, it has been a difficult year, with even less time available for friends and family, or other refreshing pursuits.

We will see. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

I liked the exchange on the radio during the late safety car:

Mercedes Engineer (in highly agitated voice) "Delta! Delta! Delta! Delta! Delta! Delta! Delta! Delta!" (Not sure of the number, could have been more!)

Lewis (in quiet voice) "Calm down, Man"

:lol:

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

It would be ironic, if Max's puncture was caused by shards of carbon fibre dropped from the piece of Sebastian Vettel's front wing that was trapped under Valtteri Bottas's car.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, steve1 said:

Is this outbreak of 'satin' finish liveries merely aesthetic or is there some technical reason?

steve

Several teams have been quoted as saying it's a weight saving measure.

Jo

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

18 minutes ago, Steadfast said:

Jo

Wouldn't surprise me - after all Mercedes' traditional silver livery apparently harks back to one of their very early races when the car was found to be slightly overweight, so they stripped the paint off!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Once again Lewis shows how much he has progressed even this year. For the second week running he did not panic when the start did not go his way. Patiently waited until VB and MV pitted the put the hammer down in free air. Yes, the VSC made things very straightforward for him, but the message to Bottas just before confirmed that Lewis had time in hand over him to pit and get out in front. 

Class, flawless

• Agree 8

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, steve1 said:

Is this outbreak of 'satin' finish liveries merely aesthetic or is there some technical reason?

steve

1 hour ago, Steadfast said:

Jo

And its also more 'slippery' than other finishes.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Hobby said:

I liked the exchange on the radio during the late safety car:

Mercedes Engineer (in highly agitated voice) "Delta! Delta! Delta! Delta! Delta! Delta! Delta! Delta!" (Not sure of the number, could have been more!)

Lewis (in quiet voice) "Calm down, Man"

:lol:

That probably explains why Lewis is where he is in the championship.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

And its also more 'slippery' than other finishes.

In cricket, I believe reverse swing, when the ball is older, involves the rougher side going through the air faster than the highly polished shiny side (hence reverse).

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Informative/Useful 2

7 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

In cricket, I believe reverse swing, when the ball is older, involves the rougher side going through the air faster than the highly polished shiny side (hence reverse).

& also a standard dimpled golf ball travels much further than a smooth one.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

In cricket, I believe reverse swing, when the ball is older, involves the rougher side going through the air faster than the shiny side (hence reverse).

How does this work? Micro vortices of air trapped in the surface offers less frictional resistance? Genuinely interested.

C6T. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

How does this work? Micro vortices of air trapped in the surface offers less frictional resistance? Genuinely interested.

I think theoretically the physics says it is rubbish but fortunately no one has told Jimmy Anderson that!

Conversely of course, everyone knows a shiny new bike goes faster.

• Like 2

Designers of aircraft have played about with getting additional lift from none smooth surfaces, it was quite a popular idea back in the 60s - 70s.  It doesn't seem to have got anywhere, as modern passenger and fighter aircraft still seem to go for "as smooth as possible".

Julian

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Classsix T said:

C6T. 

It’s something they observed with shark and dolphins skin, it seems to break up the airflow so it doesn’t settle into a big drag vortices. Keeps it to lots of small ones near the surface where they can predict airflow to other aerodynamic elements much better. From what I was told it’s more about controlling where it is than actually reducing it but they don’t get unpredictable large vortices that might stall a wing killing downforce or starving a duct of cooling. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3