The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1, 2020

Andrew P

1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

I found Lewis's fewer starts surprising, given the crowded calendar these days, even compared to the MS glory years. 

It seems to indicate that Lewis simply got up the points ladder quicker than MS...

Julian

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

I found Lewis's fewer starts surprising, given the crowded calendar these days, even compared to the MS glory years. 

From the dates Schumacher did it over 18 years while Lewis has only had 14 years for another stat’. ;) 

• Agree 5

2 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

From the dates Schumacher did it over 18 years while Lewis has only had 14 years for another stat’. ;) 

I think these are career figures - IIRC Michael didn't win any races during his three(?) years with Mercedes, so he may well have reached his 91 wins quicker than Lewis. He was also out of F1 for several years, as well as missing part of the 1994 season due to disqualifications and part of the 1998 season due to injury.

Edited by RJS1977
Corrected 1996 to 1994
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

8 hours ago, Hobby said:

Pretty much what it was back in the late 60s and 70s with the Cosworth DFV.

Late 50's and early sixties with the Coventry Climax FPF and FWMV engines,. These powered the F1 champion winning cars in 1959, 1960, 1963 and 1965. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

I think these are career figures - IIRC Michael didn't win any races during his three(?) years with Mercedes, so he may well have reached his 91 wins quicker than Lewis. He was also out of F1 for several years, as well as missing part of the 1996 season due to disqualifications and part of the 1998 season due to injury.

That is pretty much it , according to one of the lists on the Sky site they gave

Shu scored his 91 wins over 246 races , Ham scored his 91 over 261 , so 16

more races .

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

49 minutes ago, Sidecar Racer said:

How can it not be clear cut ????

Shu won 91 races from a total of 306  race starts .

Ham won 91 races from 261 race starts .

How can that not be clear ???

Apparently it just makes some people just see red.....

Julian

Edited by jcredfer
  • Funny 4

I was referring to his earlier post quoting the sky figures, they just show that he had his quiet patch at the end and not in the middle, like Lewis. Also look at the podium finishes and pole positions, where Lewis is much better than Michael, quoting one statistic on it's own doesn't prove anything. I don't know why people do it. Lies, damned lies and statistics.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

14 minutes ago, Hobby said:

I was referring to his earlier post quoting the sky figures, they just show that he had his quiet patch at the end and not in the middle, like Lewis. Also look at the podium finishes and pole positions, where Lewis is much better than Michael, quoting one statistic on it's own doesn't prove anything. I don't know why people do it. Lies, damned lies and statistics.

Calm down dear, please, :fie:. it's supposed to be F U N on here. 

Love your input, and thanks for that.:good:

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Lewis is top of the tree at the moment, the rest can be debated endlessly without anyone changing their mind because the differences in rules and what machinery they had leave it wide open. 
Lewis moans a bit, but shock horror so do all racing drivers all the time, and it’s highlighted because he’s interviewed more so it makes a controversy for a story. Generally he’s outstripped Bottas in similar machinery and Rosberg took advantage of reliability problems and a mind games in the team that ultimately made Lewis even stronger! It was a savvy move to bail out by Nico! ;) 

Everyone goes on about Alonso being the best but he’s made bad choices and then thrown the toys out of the pram when it goes badly upsetting those with the machinery so hardly the complete sportsman. Schumacher had his sportsmanship called into question a few times on the track too ;)
How do you compare modern safety and speed, where you’re very unfortunate to be injured in a crash, to the 70’s and before where a crash was a 50/50 or worse chance of death or serious injury? That took balls, madness?, as well as skill. 

The question is when will Lewis start to lose his edge, rather than improve it, compared to when he’s had enough? I suspect the next major upset possibility to that armour is 22 if Merc make a misstep in the car. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

51 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Calm down dear, please, :fie:. it's supposed to be F U N on here. 

Love your input, and thanks for that.:good:

Wasn't wound up at all, just pointing out that stats can be used to prove anything! 

• Like 2

On 14/10/2020 at 17:19, Andrew P said:

One thing that bugs me is this. They / Lewis etc say they want to see more Black Drivers in F1, and yes I agree, but they have to start by doing something for themselves in the first place. It's not a god given right to be given a drive, you have to first of all be like Lewis, and want it, then if you want it, you have to work for it.

Now this DOES NOT ONLY APPLY TO BLACK or any Ethnic or Gender alone, it also applies to White Kids as well, if you want a top job, be it in sport, or Business, you need to get off your butt and go for it. That is exactly what Lewis and his Dad did, put every spare penny into Lewis's future and his dream.

Even people like footballers, who I personally think are over paid, but that's not for discussion on here, got where they are by working, training, getting up early on a Sunday Morning, joining in and getting into a small Team, they all hope their talent will get them noticed, some do, some don't, but IF you don't try you will never succeed in any thing, be it sport or work.

I hope that in my Lifetime we will see, maybe a Black, White, or other, Girl winning an F1 Race or Championship, there are by all accounts some great Girl Drivers out there, they just need the break, be seen, be quick, and most of all be humble.

Just picking your post as the first in a string of the subject focus Andrew, not targeting you. But as I understand it, Lewis is pointing out a desire to see more inclusivity in the entirety of motorsports, not necessarily just drivers.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/amp/formula1/54273775

C6T. 

• Agree 2

10 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

Just picking your post as the first in a string of the subject focus Andrew, not targeting you. But as I understand it, Lewis is pointing out a desire to see more inclusivity in the entirety of motorsports, not necessarily just drivers.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/amp/formula1/54273775

C6T. 

Yes, that's why I quoted Jobs as well, be it Engineers, Pit Wall Crew, or just the Back room boys.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Yes, that's why I quoted Jobs as well, be it Engineers, Pit Wall Crew, or just the Back room boys.

That has been my thinking since Lewis made his statement about more diversity .

You cant 'magic' up people if they don't want or have no interest in that line of

work .

People get into the line of work that they want .

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Hobby said:

https://www.essentiallysports.com/f1-news-max-verstappen-and-valtteri-bottas-edging-towards-one-of-the-most-unwanted-f1-records/

I really hope Max gets a World Championship before he retires. With new talent coming through he's going to have to get a move on, though.

As he is only 23 I would have thought that he stood a reasonable chance especially if he can get a decent car.  His F1 Championship finishing position has improved more or less consistently since he started driving in F1 so it hardly makes sense to say he'll never get the championship.  Yes some rare talents have got to the top more quickly but such talents really are pretty rare in F1 and that is what puts them above the 'very good' although again i think it might be argued that having the right car under them does have its benefits.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2