The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1, 2020

Andrew P

52 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

That depends. If Hockenheim have a contract with Liberty to host the German Grand Prix for  x years, but there won't be a race there this year for reasons outside Hockenheim's control (e.g. that it doesn't have the facilities to host a Covid-secure race), then Liberty would be prevented from calling a race at the Nurburgring by that name.

Edit - or at least, they may feel it undiplomatic to call it as such. All pandemics end eventually, and I'm sure Liberty would not want to unduly antagonise any circuits they would normally have used, which might cause difficulties once normality is restored.

This is how ESPN F1 have listed it

9 Oct-11Mercedes-Benz German GP

Hockenheimring

Oct 11 - 1:10 pm

And BBC

Fri

OCT

Friday 9th October Eifel Grand Prix

Eifel Grand Prix

Nuerburgring, NuerburgNuerburgring, Nuerburg

9th October to 11th October

09 OCT - 11 OCT

And C4

Germany - Nürburgring

9th - 11th Oct

And Racefans

11Eifel Grand PrixNurburgringOct 9-11

And Confused of Amp Sher, but Eifel gets the vote I think.

• Like 3

Slightly off-topic for this thread, but just found some good colour footage of Monaco 1962. Also some good views of the station exterior, Portier viaduct and some aerial footage of the railway line (I've often thought a combined model railway/slot car layout based on Monaco in this period would make an interesting display!).

Hard to tell exactly where the pits were at this time - the pit wall appears to be about where we know it today, but the start line is on what we now know as the pit lane, but facing in the opposite direction, as part of the circuit.  I can't help thinking the circuit flowed a lot better like this, without the Nouvelle Chicane and the swimming pool section.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

(I've often thought a combined model railway/slot car layout based on Monaco in this period would make an interesting display!).

Miniatur Wonderland are doing just that..... but it's a bit more hi-tech than slots.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

Slightly off-topic for this thread, but just found some good colour footage of Monaco 1962. Also some good views of the station exterior, Portier viaduct and some aerial footage of the railway line (I've often thought a combined model railway/slot car layout based on Monaco in this period would make an interesting display!).

Oh that lost me an hour on Google Maps and the internet researching the railway!

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Someone from the Mercedes team has tested positive for Covid - https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.mercedes-confirm-one-team-member-has-tested-positive-for-covid-19-ahead-of.2BzgXUSop7cPyN69g6t3vU.html

bit more detail on Sky website - doesn’t affect drivers https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/12098953/mercedes-team-member-tests-positive-for-coronavirus-ahead-of-eifel-gp

Edited by StuAllen
Adding more detail
  • Informative/Useful 3

3 hours ago, EddieB said:

Plus ça change.  Even in 1962 there was a red car spinning on Loew’s hairpin!

Except it was still the Station Hairpin then. Loews Hotel (later Fairmont) was built on the station site, the headland, and over the approach to the tunnel, after the railway was diverted.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

You'd think there would be enough tree free land in Brazil to build a new track!!

Putting "Green" and an international motor (or any sport I suppose) sport together makes me laugh, even if it used hydrogen (though that depends on how its produced) and electricity (ditto) using batteries (ditto again) there is no way it will be clean and I really hope they don't try using "carbon offsetting" to justify it...

Edited by Hobby
  • Like 1
  • Agree 5

3 hours ago, ess1uk said:

Groan is for the article not the post.

The personal hypocrisy! To then admit faux ignorance of Honda's position but use it as a blatant opportunity to plug your own employers as some kind of saviour of the planet? Jeez.

C6T. 

• Agree 2

Not really, he's paid to plug them, that's what he's doing. Not hypocrisy at all. I also suspect that they are not "his" words but from the Mercedes Press Office originally...

(As I indicated earlier I find the whole F1 thing pretending to be green as laughable anyway!)

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Hobby said:

Not really, he's paid to plug them, that's what he's doing. Not hypocrisy at all. I also suspect that they are not "his" words but from the Mercedes Press Office originally...

(As I indicated earlier I find the whole F1 thing pretending to be green as laughable anyway!)

I strongly suspect the PR dept's hand in it too. If you've access to Lewis's contractual obligations please share. 

You don't think either that someone who has been a part of motorsports virtually all his life, a blatant self promoter of his own over consumption, now espousing green credentials isn't hypocrisy? How odd. 

Just take the money and drive the sodding car Lewis.

C6T. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

I strongly suspect the PR dept's hand in it too. If you've access to Lewis's contractual obligations please share. 

Just take the money and drive the sodding car Lewis.

No I haven't seen his contract, but I suspect that it has certain obligations in it to promote the Mercedes brand, and that isn't just the driving. 

All F1 drivers are "self promotors", it comes with the job, they wouldn't get where they are on pure talent these days, it's who you know and where you can push your image.

Hence I can't get wound up about a Mercedes driver promoting Mercedes and pretending to be green in the least green sport of them all. In fact it's what I would expect, and part of what he's paid to do.

• Agree 4