The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1, 2020

Andrew P

55 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

What about Shuy and Coultard at Spa?

Another pit lane incident IIRC.  The rather one-sided Piquet vs Salazar bout in Germany in 1992 took place out on the track where everyone could see it.  At least Nelson was sporting enough to allow Emilio to keep his helmet on while attempting to land his haymakers:

I believe that a certain Mr Hunt was also inclined towards of a bit of pugilistic exercise on-track on the odd occasion - though more usually with the marshals than with his fellow drivers IIRC.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

All about money. Ferrari is regarded as the main attraction in F1. No-one goes to races to watch Mercedes or certainly Renault, it seems, let alone a soft-drinks manufacturer. So all those swilling at the F1 trough want Ferrari to stay and do well, so there is plenty to swill.

• Agree 5

2 hours ago, Andrew P said:

UN BL**DY BELIEVABLE = FERRARI INTERNATIONAL ASSISTANCE = FIA COMES TO THE RESCUE ONCE AGAIN.:angry:

https://www.racefans.net/2020/10/06/f1s-new-aero-handicap-rules-mean-ferraris-dire-season-will-help-them-in-2022/

Does that include the cost of the Kevlar rope, dangled from the rear of the Ferrari, that all other cars will be required to attach to.

Julian

Edited by jcredfer
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, ejstubbs said:

Another pit lane incident IIRC.  The rather one-sided Piquet vs Salazar bout in Germany in 1992 took place out on the track where everyone could see it.  At least Nelson was sporting enough to allow Emilio to keep his helmet on while attempting to land his haymakers:

Reminds me of boxing hares....

image.png.489fa26ffb8c38de9a7603dd981e928a.png

3 hours ago, Andrew P said:

UN BL**DY BELIEVABLE = FERRARI INTERNATIONAL ASSISTANCE = FIA COMES TO THE RESCUE ONCE AGAIN.

There's no point in getting wound up about it, the fun will be if they're allowed to do more development work (and I can see them losing more places on purpose to gain more advantage) and they still don't improve...

• Agree 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Andrew P said:

UN BL**DY BELIEVABLE = FERRARI INTERNATIONAL ASSISTANCE = FIA COMES TO THE RESCUE ONCE AGAIN.:angry:

https://www.racefans.net/2020/10/06/f1s-new-aero-handicap-rules-mean-ferraris-dire-season-will-help-them-in-2022/

No wonder they haven't dumped Vettel during this season - they must have seen this coming (I wonder how they knew:rolleyes: )

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, Andrew P said:

This is getting ridiculous.

It is no different from making a darts player stand further from the board to level off his advantage gained from practising better than others.

It does raise the question of how they monitor how much work the team does & whether teams can manage to sneak in some extra development without getting caught.

• Agree 5

Just now, Andrew P said:

He was certainly good at getting upset by a rookie beating him in 2007!

I know we give Vettel a bit of grief on here, but he has won twice as many championships than Fred & we don't hear garbage like that from him.

• Agree 5

3 hours ago, Andrew P said:

He seems to have given himself an accurate rating, in the wet, yes there will be someone who will be just that bit quicker and he will beat that one when it is hot and dry.  The trouble is that at 9-10, there will also be yet another driver who will be just that bit quicker when it's hot and dry.....  same for cold, dry, windy, dirty track etc, etc.....

What he hasn't got his brain past is that 9-10 is a losing ratio against 9.9-10...  or better!

.......    but unintentionally accurate.

Julian

Edited by jcredfer
  • Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Hmmm , official results show .

Alonso completed his maiden Dakar in 13th overall, trailing Sainz by more than four and a half hours at the marathon finish -

• Funny 5

Just now, Pete the Elaner said:

Temperature of 8c & intermittent rain is forecast around the Nurburgring for the whole weekend.

These are not exactly ideal conditions for an F1 car.

Should be interesting then. :biggrin_mini2:

Sorry to be a bore, but can anyone remind me what happened to a German Driver the last time it Rained at a German GP?:laugh:

• Like 2
  • Funny 5

1 minute ago, Andrew P said:

Sorry to be a bore, but can anyone remind me what happened to a German Driver the last time it Rained at a German GP?:laugh:

It sound like you really do need reminding. ;)

Last year was probably one of Vettel's best races.

After failing to qualify (I think due to a technical issue preventing him from even driving in Q1), he started at the back then drove through the field to finish 2nd behind Verstappen.

It was Hamilton who crashed out from the lead so close to the pit lane entrance that he cut across it pit for a new wing & waited a minute because the team were totally unprepared for him.

You are thinking of 2018 when Vettel binned it while leading.

Germany seems to have good form for rain recently.

On another note, why is this the "Eifel GP", not the German GP?

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

I'd love to see Charles do well if inclement weather negates the disadvantages Ferrari are carrying...

...then the inevitable fustercluck when instructed by the team to slow down because it threatens the amount of aero work they can do next year.

C6T. 

• Funny 3

4 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Also from the link:-

"Additional rumours are rife that Red Bull could yet take over the engine programme, utilising the current Honda system, and handing over responsibility for development to Mugen Euro, based just five miles away from the team's Milton Keynes headquarters."

Maybe this is a possibility. what with Honda's strong ties with Mugen. It would be a shame if all the development that has gone into the Honda engine, to where it is now capable of propelling a car to race wins should go to waste.

• Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

On another note, why is this the "Eifel GP", not the German GP?

It may be down to contractual arrangements.

I believe that some years ago there was a situation where Hockenheim was unable to host the German Grand Prix and on that occasion Nurburgring hosted a race instead but because Hockenheim had the rights to the 'German Grand Prix' title, the race was held as the 'European Grand Prix'.

After that, the arrangement was formalised that the circuits would alternate holding the German Grand Prix, until (I think) Nurburgring pulled out after a few years. So the rights to the German Grand Prix name may well now rest solely with Hockenheim.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

5 hours ago, Hobby said:

I'd have thought the "naming rights" would be with Liberty and they decide what it's called?

That depends. If Hockenheim have a contract with Liberty to host the German Grand Prix for  x years, but there won't be a race there this year for reasons outside Hockenheim's control (e.g. that it doesn't have the facilities to host a Covid-secure race), then Liberty would be prevented from calling a race at the Nurburgring by that name.

Edit - or at least, they may feel it undiplomatic to call it as such. All pandemics end eventually, and I'm sure Liberty would not want to unduly antagonise any circuits they would normally have used, which might cause difficulties once normality is restored.

Edited by RJS1977
  • Like 2