The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1, 2020

Andrew P

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Even the qualifying is getting predictable.

Agree, never have liked the current system.

I would like to see a new approach to qualifying, set a time of something like 30 mins for the qualli' session and in that time ALL drivers must complete 20 laps. That would mean some cars would almost certainly have to be on the track at any one time; they can stop, change tyres if that makes them faster overall, do what they like tactically within that time limit provided they complete 20 laps. The aggregate time for completing all the laps, including any intermediate pit stop time, is then used to set the grid. If for any reason, such as mechanical failures, they don't complete their 20 the slowest set lap-time of all drivers is multiplied by the missing number of laps and added on. 

It would solve the problem of overtakes as inevitably cars of different max speeds would be mixed-up, and as there is no race leader it would be without blue flags. The teams would soon learn how to manipulate the aero regs to allow overtakes. If that makes the cars have less downforce suction in the corners so they have to go a bit slower, and become a bit more prone to slip and slide in the corners, all to the good. 

Edited by john new
Typos corrected
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

But not for long, ooops!

O.K. Mr Stationmaster Sir, Not appy.:nono::laugh:

I reacted to The Stationmaster Quoted you, at about 2.30 ish forgetting Sochi is 2 Hrs ahead, then I read the quote above and thought SOD IT.

Then in Quali 2, I thought he was out, so finally chuffed to see his Pole.:dancer:

I must remember not to look on here after noon tomorrow. haha:good:

Edited by Andrew P
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Be fair, Vetttel normally waits for the Race to find a Wall to hit.:laugh:

At least he didn't take another car(s) with him.  That would earn him a well deserved dented nasal bracket, if he ever gets round to doing that in a Q round.  I reckon even the stewards would only award the other driver a current one race ban, for that.....

Julian

• Agree 3

36 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Even the qualifying is getting predictable.

20 minutes ago, john new said:

Agree, never have liked the current system.

I would like to see a new approach to qualifying, set a time of something like 30 mins for the qualli' session and in that time ALL drivers must complete 20 laps...

So, a mini race before the race that yields the points, in order to allocate the grid positions. Over 20 laps, the faster the car, the more likely it is to be able demonstrate its advantage. I don't see any potential for predictability reduction in that; and if anything more predictability, in that the fastest and most reliable car and driver combinations will consistently show to advantage.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

So, a mini race before the race that yields the points, in order to allocate the grid positions. Over 20 laps, the faster the car, the more likely it is to be able demonstrate its advantage. I don't see any potential for predictability reduction in that; and if anything more predictability, in that the fastest and most reliable car and driver combinations will consistently show to advantage.

That is what should happen, but at least qualli' would have different speed cars on the track together so some overtaking to add interest and without blue flags to overly favour the speed merchants. Might lift the current boring processions as all the drivers would be going as fast as they could without having to get out of the way.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Andrew P said:

So Mr Crash it does it again, but it wasn't his fault, the kerb got in the way when he was trying to drive beyond his own capabilities.

Mr Stroll needs to have a look at that contract.

Yes, Mr Stroll, let's see what we have here today. The driver you've sacked for next season is starting an excellent 4th, while the Big Name you've hired for next season is 15th, because he stuffed his Ferrari in yet another unforced error, nearly taking his talented team-mate with him.

I do wonder if Perez has been felt to be showing Stroll Jr up a little - although I think he has done very creditably indeed this season, Mugello not being a driver error - while getting Vettel into the other car will show Lance as the better, faster, more consistent driver. 

Max on the front row may at last give Lewis something to think about, to the relief of many, I know. I hope Honda delivers for the whole race. 

• Agree 5

1 minute ago, Oldddudders said:

Yes, Mr Stroll, let's see what we have here today. The driver you've sacked for next season is starting an excellent 4th, while the Big Name you've hired for next season is 15th, because he stuffed his Ferrari in yet another unforced error, nearly taking his talented team-mate with him.

Now now, it's not like he did this at Red Bull with Ricciardo or Webber :lol:

• Agree 2

Strange footage of Vettel walking on to the track to pick up his front wing before the arrival of the marshals.  What was he thinking (or not)?

Even if the session had been red flagged, he ought not to be on the track without knowing it is completely safe to be there.

• Agree 2

59 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I do wonder if Perez has been felt to be showing Stroll Jr up a little - although I think he has done very creditably indeed this season, Mugello not being a driver error - while getting Vettel into the other car will show Lance as the better, faster, more consistent driver. 

Max on the front row may at last give Lewis something to think about, to the relief of many, I know. I hope Honda delivers for the whole race. 

Yes I want Lewis to win, but I hope Max can take the Race to him to make it entertaining.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, EddieB said:

Strange footage of Vettel walking on to the track to pick up his front wing before the arrival of the marshals.  What was he thinking (or not)?

Even if the session had been red flagged, he ought not to be on the track without knowing it is completely safe to be there.

I suspect it was shock, or even concussion, and trying to get himself back to normality. His self-belief must be ebbing away every time this happens.

• Agree 6

• RMweb Gold

Keeping an eye on the BBC F1 stream ( https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/formula1/50296861 ).  Start well up to par, Stroll and Sainz out after barely starting and the safety car has them trundling about, waiting for the wreckage to be cleared.  It seems Stroll was shunted and thus unlucky...

All in the first lap!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Keeping an eye on the BBC F1 stream ( https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/formula1/50296861 ).  Start well up to par, Stroll and Sainz out after barely starting and the safety car has them trundling about, waiting for the wreckage to be cleared.  It seems Stroll was shunted and thus unlucky...

All in the first lap!

Arghh spoilers, I don't get to see the race until the highlights and even then it may be the recorded highlights :lol:

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I thought it was discussed a while back. If you don't want to know what happened don't read the thread otherwise when is it 'safe' to post anything?  You used to have people moaning the next day as they hadn't seen the highlights yet.

If I don't want to know something I don't visit places where I'm likely to be told.

• Like 2
  • Agree 6