The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1, 2020

Andrew P

• RMweb Gold

Not quite F1, but a key motor sport event finished at 13.30 BST - this year's postponed 24 hrs of Le Mans. No spectators, of course, and about 45 cars - of 60, I think - finished. Some links to present day F1, too. Toyota won again - with ex-F1 guys Sebastien Buemi and Brendon Hartley partnering  Kazui Nakajima in the winning car.

In the other 3 categories the racing is much fiercer, with LMP2 (lower-power prototypes) being won by United Autosports, drivers including Paul Di Resta, from Team Jota, drivers including Anthony Davidson. United Autosports is jointly owned by Richard Dean and Zak Brown, McLaren Team Principal. The three leading cars in class were all Oreca 07s - the same make as my computer chair, or at least Hugue De Chaunac's Oreca mail order branch supplied it to Deb in 2012!

The two GTE categories were both won by Aston Martin - now partly owned by Stroll Senior, of course. Beating Porsche and Ferrari in both categories will be a great fillip in these tough times. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

20 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

Mercedes used the banking for a publicity event a few years ago to mark the anniversary of Stirling Moss's victory in the Mille Miglia. Lewis and Stirling both drove Mercedes that had taken part in the MM.

They weren't supposed to be racing each other, but.... ;-)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/formula1/52261483

Longer version here*.

"I wasn't that keen on the banking, frankly, because I was driving once here and I'm going round the top of the banking at about 300kph and the steering broke.  That was not very good."

RIP Sir Stirling, master of understatement.

* I think the title screen for that video is wrong, or at least misleading. Parabolica is the non-banked corner we are likely all familiar with on the current circuit.  The banked 180° bends were called "Nord Alta Velocita" and "Sud Alta Velocita" respectively (in English these names mean, rather mundanely "North High Speed" and "South High Speed").  Parabolica joins the start/finish straight just after the exit from the Sud Alta Velocita:

Monza%202000%20GP.gif

(Picture credit: The Motor Racing Circuits Database.)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

29 minutes ago, Hobby said:

Everyone's doing that these days... ;)

.......   Ho!!  So, a funi ehh!!  I yam a wachin' yo'wa emoticonaas -  anda I'ya nowa weara yowa all livin'...  

I notta tela yow hoo I'yama!!!

Resta eesi in yo'wa beda...

Not telling yo'wa it reallay miyay nayma is Julio

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

49 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Typical Press wind-up, saying 

"A brand new supercar worth about £150,000 could be crushed after it was found being driven without insurance.

Nottinghamshire Police said the Aston Martin was stopped on the A60 near Ravenshead, in the early hours of Monday.

Special constables spotted the vehicle due to the "manner of driving".

The legal owner must recover the vehicle, or risk it being crushed, while the driver faces six points and a fine of up to £5,000."

Quite why the owner of the car would not be going to collect his stolen vehicle doesn't seem to be identified.  Even if the driver was also the owner, £5,000 doesn't quite equate with not bothering to collect the car.  Perhaps the £5,000 should be paid for a writing course for the reporter!

Julian

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

Pure supposition because the "reporter" couldn't be arsed to y'know, include niceties like legal fact, but sounds as if a member of the owner's immediate circle decided to take Daddy's/Hubby's/Mom's new motor for a spin. It's not stolen but they did not have the necessary paperwork to be able to be behind the wheel.

C6T. 

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

Reports coming in that Stefano Domincali is to replace Chase Cary.

From interviews I've listened to and read, I think he could be a safe pair of hands for future, guiding the sport he loves

Jo

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Absolutely agree - he was open-faced and media-friendly, unlike his frosty successor Arrivabene, and poor Binotto who is simply being wasted. 

The problem is the perception that with Todt and Brawn, all the key roles will be occupied by ex-Ferrari men, and others sharing our Ferrari International Assistance concern - and some of the teams do at senior level - will have their suspicions. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
On 21/09/2020 at 16:10, jcredfer said:

Typical Press wind-up, saying 

"A brand new supercar worth about £150,000 could be crushed after it was found being driven without insurance.

Nottinghamshire Police said the Aston Martin was stopped on the A60 near Ravenshead, in the early hours of Monday.

Special constables spotted the vehicle due to the "manner of driving".

The legal owner must recover the vehicle, or risk it being crushed, while the driver faces six points and a fine of up to £5,000."

Quite why the owner of the car would not be going to collect his stolen vehicle doesn't seem to be identified.  Even if the driver was also the owner, £5,000 doesn't quite equate with not bothering to collect the car.  Perhaps the £5,000 should be paid for a writing course for the reporter!

Julian

Not quite sure what all the criticism of the reporter is about. That is the procedure and process for claiming an impounded car, makes a good story. Whether or not the actual owner goes to claim it or not is immaterial, posh car impounded is the news item and a good laugh for every owner of a bog-standard car.

At the same time helps to reinforce the message - however expensive don't take it on the road without proper paperwork.

Edited by john new
Extra info added.
  • Agree 2

11 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

The winners and losers so far this season...

I would be more impressed if they backed up the opinions with predictions for the known moves in 2021.

Sainz to just about have the measure of Leclerc, Norris to run neck and neck with Ricciardo, Stroll to leave Vettel in the dust: some confidence in their judgement of relative capability.

(Projected future outcomes do not necessarily reflect any reality that may emerge.)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

I would be more impressed if they backed up the opinions with predictions for the known moves in 2021.

Sainz to just about have the measure of Leclerc, Norris to run neck and neck with Ricciardo, Stroll to leave Vettel in the dust: some confidence in their judgement of relative capability.

(Projected future outcomes do not necessarily reflect any reality that may emerge.)

And Ocon get it together and see off Al Fonso the raging Bull.:lol:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I know this is an F1 thread but I quite enjoyed watching Le Mans last weekend on Eurosport - one of my son in laws granted me access. I must say that I enjoyed it with all that pit action and the fact that cars can be rebuilt in the pits and still finish in the results appeals to my engineering (ok Mr fixit) instincts. The battles in each class was also fun with no quarter given for 24 hours.

Looking forward to next year and the Hypercars - my hope is that Ferrari, Merc and the rest can be tempted to join the fun. I did attend the 1972 race and watched the Matra Simca's swamp the result. The whole event was.. well... an EVENT!

Kind regards,

Richard b

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Absolutely agree - he was open-faced and media-friendly, unlike his frosty successor Arrivabene, and poor Binotto who is simply being wasted. 

Marco Mattiacci was their team principal for a while. I read that somewhere. I certainly don't remember him at all.

But I agree about Domenicali being media-friendly.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Marco Mattiacci was their team principal for a while. I read that somewhere. I certainly don't remember him at all.

But I agree about Domenicali being media-friendly.

I had forgotten Mattiacci. Even looking at his pic now I hardly recall him. He seems to have been in-post for less than two seasons. The Ferrari revolving door again.

EDIT  Further research shows Mattiacci was only there eight months. Arrivabene was preferred, apparently, because he was closer to Ecclebum, having been a key director at Philip Morris in the days when Marlboro were major sponsors of F1. Mattiacci, though, gave Alfonso Bonso an ultimatum, and then swiped Vettel from Red Bull. I saw both moves as good at the time. 

Edited by Oldddudders
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I had forgotten Mattiacci. Even looking at his pic now I hardly recall him. He seems to have been in-post for less than two seasons. The Ferrari revolving door again.

Half a season by the look of it.

Having just googled him for photos, I don't recognise him at all.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1