The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1, 2020

Andrew P

3 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

The plan is for the reverse grid race to be first, to determine the grid positions for the main race. As far as I'm aware, there will be no points for it.

That seems a bit odd.

So what determines the grid for the first race? The result from the previous one?

You then have a reverse grid race with no points on offer, the finishing positions of which determine the grid for the main race. Why not just make the main race longer, since they'll already be in their 'grid order'?

It seems very forced & will kill off qualifying as we know it.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, ianwales said:

Sour grapes from Toto

Sorry, the 'without having done anything to deserve it' was my comment, not Toto's.

However, at Monaco or Hungary it would effectively be giving a team/driver 25 points for being bottom of the championship prior to the race weekend -  a 'participation trophy' if you like. I don't think anyone would want to win a race that way.

Edited by RJS1977
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Darius43 said:

GP championship standings.

Darius

Prevents any 'gaming' as no one will drop in the standings for a better grid slot. Only thing to be wary of is new drivers (i.e. those with less than 5 starts for example) should be automatically at the back to avoid them being under too much pressure.

No need to reverse the grid today, what a great race! Although shows circuit racers still can't master the art of the rolling start :D

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Slightly confused how a circuit that apparently dates from 1974 can produce what feels like much more exciting racing that some of the newest circuits on the calendar. Surely these design processes should improve with time?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

I think even the Williams and Haas teams (and their drivers) would be quite embarrassed to be receiving the trophies in those circumstances.

After a sniff of the points today that Russel deserved but ultimately didn't produce, I'm sure Williams would take anything.

• Agree 2

Bonkers or what?

Two Italian Races, and three Red Flags, and two big shunts with Stroll today and Leclerc last week.

Verstappen had some really bad luck today, but Albon did a wonderful job.

Certainly an entertaining Race.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

Strange, the talk last week was all about the Tuscan GP using the outer circuit, and cutting out the infield and sub 55 second laps.

When did that change? I've looked and I cant see any announcement, because even Ross Brawn was talking openly about it last weekend.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Strange, the talk last week was all about the Tuscan GP using the outer circuit, and cutting out the infield and sub 55 second laps.

When did that change? I've looked and I cant see any announcement, because even Ross Brawn was talking openly about it last weekend.

Isn’t that the Bahrain race?

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, Andrew P said:

No, it's the second Bahrain race that's going to use the outer circuit. There isn't an 'outer circuit' at Mugello.

• Agree 2

Just now, RJS1977 said:

No, it's the second Bahrain race that's going to use the outer circuit. There isn't an 'outer circuit' at Mugello.

Yes your right, I've just looked at the Track map, and it will be the second Bahrain Race, THANKS.:good:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

For a race heralded as a celebration of the 1000th F1 GP for Ferrari, its sad that it'll be remembered for all the wrong reasons.  However Ferrari should feel relieved that both their cars finished in the points, even if they shared 5 points between the two!

• Agree 3

• Administrators
14 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

I seem to have had a Post removed.

Yes, because we have a rule about no politics and it's an issue which could cause arguments. No thanks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

12 Drivers issued warning today.

Which is as good as saying that the race organisation is inadequate in respect of restarts from a safety car period.

And look at Norris, still holding on, 4th in the standings at the mid season point. That's solid grafting with a car that sits among the midfield group.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Jonboy said:

Slightly confused how a circuit that apparently dates from 1974 can produce what feels like much more exciting racing that some of the newest circuits on the calendar. Surely these design processes should improve with time?

It seems to me that the track is a bit narrow in some places, OK for two wheels but not for four.

Two items from the C4 highlights show that are worth mentioning.

An interview with the very eloquent lady who was PA to Enzo Ferrari, talking about the drivers - her “boys” - and how she liked them all, with one exception: Alain Prost.  Hmmm.

I’m sure it was played out on Sky, but great to see - and hear - Mick Schumacher going for a spin in his dad’s 2004 Ferrari.  I’m not heavily into the Schumacher legacy, though of course feel for the family and would love to see Michael somehow regain consciousness.  What got me was a reminder how much we miss that engine noise!  Even on TV it made the hairs on my neck stand up.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1