The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1, 2020

Andrew P

32 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

"Surprising brake failure" I don't think it is even slightly surprising

Cooling brakes creates drag. Unlike downforce, it is not 'useful' drag, so cooling needs to be as low as they feel they can get away with.

Ferrari are desperate to squeeze everything out of the car this year.

If you push to the limit, it is inevitable that you sometimes push too hard.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

It's probably not ideal for anyone involved, and the circumstances are obviously highly regrettable, but I've found this back to back to back to back compressed schedule much more enjoyable than a normal season which can just drag on. Especially of late when it's normally been a few races when we don't know who's going to win followed by a seven month coronation.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

That race was fun, I had the pleasure of watching it with a couple of racers. Their guesses from early on were that Bottas had compromised his car in some way, probably underside damage affecting the aero. Red Bull - and thus Verstappen - the big loosers in the 'single engine mode available' stakes. No more can they use a maximum output quali mode, to enable Verstappen to obtain the vital near front of grid position; then rely on his skill set to cope with significantly less power on race day, in order to get the engine to last the course. If that's a correct guess at the position, then he will be fighting the McLaren, Renault and Racing Point for grid slots for the rest of the season.

On ‎07‎/‎09‎/‎2020 at 20:46, friscopete said:

... Lando and Carlos keep it genuine at present. Gasly is a blip on the monitor.

If McLaren can get the best out of the Merc PU integration, Norris should be really competitive in 2021.

The 'blip on the monitor' I would argue, was Alpha Tauri getting the win. Gasly demonstrated the all important ability: having got into the best position he hung on against a very capable competitor in a better car. That's a very desireable quality, fully proven.

On ‎09‎/‎09‎/‎2020 at 10:28, Hroth said:

...one of the best reasons for having the BBC broadcast anything is that programmes don't get diced up into segments so that there can be at least 15 minutes of adverts per hour...

Side issue: I am vocally anti licence fee, and hope our present Gov. get the job done. The BBC believes it is the best in the world - and if this is so, then it will have no trouble selling its packages against the current commercial vendors. Prove it!

I am prepared to pay for a good quality package without advertising, as a free choice. I object to being mugged. This is a fossil of past necessity to fund a national broadcasting system, it's over and done, time to move on.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

The Ferraris are a very dark red this weekend - in contrast to the much brighter overalls of those tending to them. 

I've a recollection that the Ferraris up until the 90s were a much darker red than presently, and the colour was lightened as part of a tie-in with Marlboro (Phillip Morris). As they are still obliquely connected to Morris via 'Mission Minnow', I presume that's why the colour hasn't reverted before now.

• Informative/Useful 2

3 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

The Ferraris are a very dark red this weekend - in contrast to the much brighter overalls of those tending to them. 

Ferrari's are only meant to be painted scarlet, that red with a sleight orange tinge. :D

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Interesting quote from Seb:

"We got a bit lucky because at Monza having a brake failure is usually not what you want to have. "

Usually? I'd think you never want to have a brake failure.

• Funny 4

4 hours ago, rocor said:

Ferrari's are only meant to be painted scarlet, that red with a sleight orange tinge. :D

It's apparently to celebrate their 1.000 GP and is painted the same colour as their first car, back then in 1950.

Julian

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

I've a recollection that the Ferraris up until the 90s were a much darker red than presently, and the colour was lightened as part of a tie-in with Marlboro (Phillip Morris). As they are still obliquely connected to Morris via 'Mission Minnow', I presume that's why the colour hasn't reverted before now.

Mansell Ferrari c1990

image.png.3f6e1f941c2a4d9deb0777c724b11b4e.png

Vettel Ferrari c2020

image.png.90936dbb61c8c2e5f3342c690d12c0b2.png

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

Mansell Ferrari c1990

image.png.3f6e1f941c2a4d9deb0777c724b11b4e.png

Vettel Ferrari c2020

image.png.90936dbb61c8c2e5f3342c690d12c0b2.png

The Ferrari red has actually varied quite a lot. Yes it was lightened when Marlboro came on board in the 90s, though has altered on and off since, for example the late 2000s they ran a darker metallic shade and 2019 (and I think 2020 ) the car is a matt paint that looks a little darker, but may be lack of reflections 

Jo

• Like 1
  • Agree 2