The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1, 2020

Andrew P

Just now, PaulRhB said:

I doubt it’ll affect Lance really and I bet Father doesn’t care as a team owner, he doesn’t really answer to anyone with his shareholding. No driver’s going to turn down the offer if they have no other seat. 

But Crasher Vet, come on, there must be other better choices if Perez has to go. 

• Agree 1

Just now, PaulRhB said:

Nah he’ll show them what they’re losing. Vettel ain’t going to get no.1 status over the boy either ;) 

Your right on both counts Paul, and on last weeks form from the Kid, it will be Leclerc / Vettel all over again, and that WILL be fun to watch, and hear the excuses.

• Funny 2

5 hours ago, Andrew P said:

The track is owned by Scuderia Ferrari, which uses it for Formula One testing.

Except - aren't teams banned from testing other than in authorised F1 test sessions? (and a few promotional events like Goodwood etc).

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

25 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

Except - aren't teams banned from testing other than in authorised F1 test sessions? (and a few promotional events like Goodwood etc).

You forgot Rule 1, FIA / Ferrari International Assistance, and I think they use it for the Press and Photo / Film days.

• Agree 1

For those that haven't read all the Racing Point statement above, this last bit made me roar with laughter.

Welcoming the 53-time race winner, CEO and team principal Otmar Szafnauer said: "Everybody at Silverstone is hugely excited by this news.

"Sebastian is a proven champion and brings a winning mentality that matches our own ambitions for the future as Aston Martin F1 Team.

"On a Saturday or Sunday afternoon, Sebastian is one of the best in the world, and I can’t think of a better driver to help take us into this new era. He will play a significant role in taking this team to the next level.”

• Funny 10

1 hour ago, didcot said:

Madness!

5 minutes ago, micklner said:

He must be paying for the drive !!!

4 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

Utter!

At least it might provide us with some exciting moves / crashes and talking points for 2021, something to look forward to I guess.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

This whole Pink Panther business is disgusting. Perez has delivered big time in recent seasons. Reliable but fast. Vettel has recently been neither. Lewis has been vocal about Gasly and his potential - I wonder if he will speak up about this ridiculous exchange, too. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

With Racing Point being within the orbit of Mercedes, it would have been interesting to see Perez promoted alongside Lewis, especially now that Valtteri has become plain old Mr Dependable.  However, I think Sergio blotted his copybook as a team player early on - alongside Jenson Button and then with Ocon.  Overall, his current partnership with Stroll seems to have worked well - two different styles, meaning that they’ve seldom been fighting for the same piece of track.

So the soon to be renamed Aston Martin team have opted for another driver with questionable team player credentials.  To be fair to Stroll Jnr., I think he has shown enough driving ability - particularly in the wet - to merit his place in the team, but obviously it’s his family relationship that keeps him there to the detriment of Perez.  However, just think what having Perez and Vettel in the same team would have been like - similar driving styles, aggressive, neither of them team players, both prone to mistakes - the list goes on.  Almost as bad as the current Haas line-up!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I agree Stroll Jnr has put in very creditable performances in recent times, quite apart from his privileged parentage, so deserves to be there. And surely Vettel will not expect No 1 billing at AM? When paired with a competent team-mate, Vettel has always gone backwards. Whether Stroll will provide similar disincentive remains to be seen. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, StuAllen said:

That looks like a long run to turn 1. Looking forward to the race this weekend 

It is, and even longer (2x) during the race after coming out of Turn 15.

16 hours ago, SR71 said:

Mercedes have posted a guide using their SIM.

Aaaah, that video brought back memories! I was remembering every turn just from playing it on the GP500 PC game! Used to play it in multiplayer mode with office colleagues in the good old days that you could get away with that (benefits of running the IT dept back then :p ) . It's a hard track to master with the sweeping corners and elevation changes but exceedingly rewarding. Can't wait to see the F1 cars on it!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The uphill right hander that is Turn 1 reminds me of the slower version in Austria. The very fact that it is faster than that one, where respect and circumspection are needed,  should make for an entertaining opening lap. Who will get it wrong going up the inside, and take out one or more outside him? 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

At least it might provide us with some exciting moves / crashes and talking points for 2021, something to look forward to I guess

Probably Vettel into his Team Mate. He has rather a lot of form there!

• Agree 2
  • Funny 2

Vettel verses Mark Webber, The Vet got grumpy when Webber had a good day, and tried to remove him once.

Vettel verses Danny Ric, The Vet got grumpy when Danny had a good day and made things difficult for the Team.

Vettel verses Kimi, Well Kimi was clear that he was No 2 so no real competition.

Vettel verses Leclerc, The Vet got grumpy when Leclerc had a good day and tried to remove him at Brazil, but ended taking them both out.

History has a habit of repeating itself,

Imagine if you can = Vettel verses Stroll and taking him out! imagine if you can the conversation in the de brief, haha.:o

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Andrew P said:

For those that haven't read all the Racing Point statement above, this last bit made me roar with laughter.

"On a Saturday or Sunday afternoon, Sebastian is one of the best in the world, and I can’t think of a better driver to help take us into this new era. He will play a significant role in taking this team to the next level.”

Notice he didn't specify up or down.

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Welcoming the 53-time race winner, CEO and team principal Otmar Szafnauer said: "Everybody at Silverstone is hugely excited by this news.

"Sebastian is a proven champion and brings a winning mentality that matches our own ambitions for the future as Aston Martin F1 Team.

I don't see it ending well, it could be dodgems at the first turn....

At least that's the entertainment for the next season sorted out! :crazy:

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

The uphill right hander that is Turn 1 reminds me of the slower version in Austria. The very fact that it is faster than that one, where respect and circumspection are needed,  should make for an entertaining opening lap. Who will get it wrong going up the inside, and take out one or more outside him? 

Get #1 wrong and it totally messes your entry into the esses of #2 and #3 which come up in quick order.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Bill Radford said:

Mugello is used every year for MotoGP. The start finish straight is very, very fast especially the Ducatis - oh wait, aren't thay related closely to Ferrari??

Ducati are part of the Volkswagen group.

• Informative/Useful 1