The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1, 2020

Andrew P

• RMweb Gold

While Merc had a shocking result by their standards, none of their usual rivals scored a point, and so they cruise on. Bottas closed the points gap to Lewis slightly, but with such a lacklustre drive that he will not feel he's homing in at all. Did I read he had driven over a kerb on the parade lap? 

Mercedes in unfamiliar disarray, sure, but Lewis, who like Leclerc admits his mistake, made up 10 places from dead last after his penalty stop. And thoroughly enjoyed doing so. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 8

Dead last AND 30 seconds adrift!

Proved there's nothing wrong with Mercedes' ability to overtake either, another 10 laps and he'd have been challenging for the lead...

I have to admit, though, that whilst he did admit fault his explanation also made the FIA and race organisers look a little silly... One for them to take forward, make sure that warning lights are in the drivers eye-line and when you close the pit lane make sure it comes up as a priority message and not on page 3 (or was it 4?)!

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

Well at least Mercedes issues meant the season continues to provide some real entertainment despite their dominance. We are seeing the wider range personalities more than for years plus some drama. F1 has become more interesting again for a variety of reasons but mostly a bit of soul on show ;) 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I was watching that Mugello video and I thought of a good way to spice up the races - a crossroads!!

The drivers who can time their arrival at the crossroads so they don't have to stop will surely be the winners, those that stop will get longer lap times.

What could possibly go wrong?

• Funny 3

Just now, woodenhead said:

I was watching that Mugello video and I thought of a good way to spice up the races - a crossroads!!

The drivers who can time their arrival at the crossroads so they don't have to stop will surely be the winners, those that stop will get longer lap times.

What could possibly go wrong?

Traffic Lights or a Roundabout?

• Funny 1

9 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Or a small ramp so they take off, about the height of a racing car so they sail over the crossing car.

All things they have tried on Scalextric I am sure so there is engineering precedence :D

Or prove the theory, and have a corkscrew over bridge, upside-down...? Ferrari would need rocket assistance, natch. 

C6T. 

• Funny 3

4 hours ago, Grovenor said:

I just don't understand the decision to bring out that first safety car, Magnussen had parked in a safe spot and the stewards there could have pullrd his car back behind the fence in a few seconds, no need to take it to the pits till after the race. Surely clearing the track in the simplest way possible should be the priority.

Apparently the gap by the Marshall's post wasn't wide enough/big enough to get the car in hence why they pushed it forward.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

19 minutes ago, 37114 said:

Apparently the gap by the Marshall's post wasn't wide enough/big enough to get the car in hence why they pushed it forward.

That particular marshall position didn't actually look as if it was constructed with recovery of motor vehicles in mind anyway, more for entry and exit of pedestrian staff onto and off the circuit only.

Whilst on the face of it it may seem Magnusson left his motor in a reasonably safe place, Charles Leclerc's Ferrari could have quite feasibly gained traction somewhere on its way out of Paribolica and speared straight into the stricken Haas. A right call imo.

C6T. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, woodenhead said:

It was strange, a poor decision on the face of it, unless there was something else they knew that wasn't obvious.

It looked to me from the footage as if the marshalls' post had been set up too close to the gap so there wasn't room to pull the car through.

Edit - 37114 and Classix T have beaten me to it! 

Edited by RJS1977
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

Or a small ramp so they take off, about the height of a racing car so they sail over the crossing car.

All things they have tried on Scalextric I am sure so there is engineering precedence :D

Or take a leaf out of Minic Motorways and have the Mad Motorist Reversing Hazard!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

Addendum, aren't recovery zones as opposed to purely marshall positions colour coded on the Armco, and explained in the driver's briefings? Begs the question why Mags didn't coast to the pit lane. But then there was so much going on I must admit I lost (cough) track of everything happening. 

C6T. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

It looked to me from the footage as if the marshalls' post had been set up too close to the gap so there wasn't room to pull the car through.

There's a honking geet 8ft high steel post and mesh fence with a what, 6ft wide gate immediately behind the Armco, you'd've had trouble getting heavy shopping through there.

C6T. 

• Informative/Useful 2

5 hours ago, woodenhead said:

The learning is on everyone - teams for comms with drivers, drivers to know where flags/markers are positioned and track marshalls to consider where flags/markers are positioned and have them signed off by drivers representatives so everyone is in agreement.

Absolutely. There is no denying the penalties were justified but the pit lane was closed for a good reason so for safety's sake, the mis-communication needs to be prevented in future, not punished.

I do not like the allowance to change tyres under a red flag. It penalised those who changed their tyres at what was a strategically better time.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Well all the teams have no doubt noted it and on the plus side if any team could stand the punishment without any real damage to their championship it was Lewis and Mercedes. Lewis knew they’d cocked up after seeing the replay and kept his counsel until then so came out with a tiny bit of egg on his face but dignity intact unlike some of the other pram occupants ;) 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I do not like the allowance to change tyres under a red flag. It penalised those who changed their tyres at what was a strategically better time.

Which answers a question that I dared not ask as to when those that hadn't changed already managed to restart and finish a supposedly one stop race. I too was under the impression cars couldn't be altered in a red flag scenario, including tyres. 

However, not being au fait with the current rule book, I suppose it makes sense from a safety point of view, if a tyre burst has (theoretically) caused a red flag it makes sense to amend that ruling.

All very strange but I wouldn't change a thing in that it was thankfully without personal injury and incredibly entertaining.

C6T. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, woodenhead said:

2 hours ago, Classsix T said:

Or prove the theory, and have a corkscrew over bridge, upside-down...? Ferrari would need rocket assistance, natch. 

C6T. 

Oh dear, What have I started?:no:

• Funny 1

13 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Oh dear, What have I started?:no:

Evel Knievel rocket assisted zero-g monster truck mag-lev turbo death match.

Pop that in the trademark office pronto Bodgit, I'll take 2%. C6T. 

Edited by Classsix T
  • Funny 2