The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1, 2020

Andrew P

Just now, Andrew P said:

Stability required according to Ferrari CEO, and Binotto is safe.

Probably a good decision.

Stability has not been their recent policy & the team are not where they want to be.

It took Mercedes a few years to build to where they are, same for Red Bull before them & Ferrari for their golden period at the beginning of the century.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

FP2 does not require party-modes, I know, but the pecking order isn't unfamiliar, and both Ferraris spun at the same place. Ominously, most of the field were together on one straight at one point, redolent of Monza Q3 last year, which was an embarrassing shambles. The 'please go slow and then give me a tow' syndrome is bad for racing. 

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

Renault renamed Alpine for 2021, Are they planning on selling the Team?

https://www.racefans.net/2020/09/04/renault-to-announce-its-f1-team-will-be-renamed-alpine/

I guess they just think their existing Alpine brand is a sexier name to compete with Aston Martin in 2021 ;) 

Note they waited until their performance improved to do it :senile:

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

4 degrees C. is a tad chilly.

It under-reads marvellously - but is linear. So I add 8.5 degrees and we are about right. I am frightened to take it apart and shift the glass in case it all falls to pieces!

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Just been following qualifying on BBC livestream.

Someone texted the question "At what point do we call Ferrari a mid-field team?". Given their performance today, with Vettel qualifying mid-Q1 and Leclerc qualifying mid-Q2,  the question might be better asked as "Are Ferrari now a third division team?"

With the Mercs on the first row, the second row is positively unfamiliar!

And Hamilton gets the positively gaudy Pirelli Pole Position award too...

Finally given the fad for "towing" perhaps AA vans should be stationed around the track...

Its all too much... :crazy:

• Like 3

On 03/09/2020 at 09:17, Andrew P said:

... we will see on Saturday.

Armchair and Remote booked for 18.30.:D

Time for a snooze before coverage starts at 19:30?

The C4 F1 page still showing it due to start at 18:30, despite something to do with bees taking precedence.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Is it me, or have Renault engines increasingly found their stride? And clearly not due to any party mode. While Honda maybe less so. 

RB seem to be see-sawing don’t they with power and aerodynamics, strong at some tracks then dropping at others. Max said last week he missed out on 2nd because the energy stored ran out so maybe they are right on the limit of their engine trying to catch Merc? 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Merc said the loss in downforce and tyre condition negated the advantage of a tow when asked by Jennie Gow. 

Might it also be that given the chaos with qualifying last year, they wanted to make sure they didn't get caught in any ensuing melee?

One thing that puzzled me - in Q3, all the second times were set with two minutes left on the clock - time for the drivers to either get two more quick laps in, or a slower one followed by another quick one - yet nobody went round again. Is the wear on tyres sufficient that it's impossible to set a second quick lap as fast as your first?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

Might it also be that given the chaos with qualifying last year, they wanted to make sure they didn't get caught in any ensuing melee?

One thing that puzzled me - in Q3, all the second times were set with two minutes left on the clock - time for the drivers to either get two more quick laps in, or a slower one followed by another quick one - yet nobody went round again. Is the wear on tyres sufficient that it's impossible to set a second quick lap as fast as your first?

I think all the kinetic energy has been used in the one lap, so you need a cool-down lap to recharge. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2