The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1, 2020

Andrew P

• RMweb Gold

I think everyone is missing the point, every panto needs a villain!

. . . 

or are they the comedy sidekick . . .

I lost track . .  :girldevil:

AA2FA079-3902-41C5-B765-A2CA87D5A1DD.jpeg.c9a9771c5720d454e9a4dd9b815fa43f.jpeg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

A thought I had earlier on:

If Racing Point have just copied last year's Mercedes by taking lots of photos of it - why haven't Williams done that?

Because they are in financial trouble and it costs a lot? They thought it was pushing the limit too far? Remember they initially jumped in the action against RP. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

I think everyone is missing the point, every panto needs a villain!

. . . 

or are they the comedy sidekick . . .

I think we have both rolled into one..............

• Agree 3
  • Funny 1

37 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Toto, not worried by Engine mode ban, and thinks it will be an advantage to Merc overall...

Having the best power plant is a fundamental advantage not negated by this rule.

There is the possibility that a gamble on significantly different conditions between qualifying and race day might occasionally pay off for a team. Stirring the pot, and seeing someone with no previous front of grid or podium position or win, adds to the merriment. Especially for journalists, who will have a stack of titles prepared of the 'Stroll/Sergio to the Pole/Line', 'Lando's his first Pole/Win', Alex All Bon, <insert your dreadful pun here>.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Some interesting discussion on F1's latest algorithm statistic rubbish. I don't always agree with this mob of ex Autosport journalists (when they were at Autosport or now they've gone their own way) but I think nail firmly hit on head.

I really struggle to see how these F1 insights add much value. They take away some of the suspense (like the likelihood of a pass graphic "X will catch Y in 3.5 laps") thus devaluing the excitements of the race, or offer totally inaccurate data (tyre wear graphic) and add very little to the show. Some of the timing ones are good, but it's all getting over the top. Add in the post production"beeps" as each light illuminates at the race start and computer generated sponsors at the trackside (the slight wobbling of which as the CGI graphic tracks the moving shot makes my eyes go funny - F1 Play on the inside of one of the corners at Barcelona was particularly jarring) all to me are cost for no benefit and make me worry what direction F1 coverage is going in. 

Still, at least we haven't got certain drivers getting a boost by driving through a CGI area on the side of the track. Sorry Formula E, I can't buy into those gimmicks!

Jo

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

"A further delay to the ban until later in the season or maybe next year was also discussed....."

But instead they decided to bring it in in time for the Italian Grand Prix. Hmm.... I wonder why that could be? ;-)

• Funny 5

Just now, RJS1977 said:

"A further delay to the ban until later in the season or maybe next year was also discussed....."

But instead they decided to bring it in in time for the Italian Grand Prix. Hmm.... I wonder why that could be? ;-)

My thoughts exactly.:no:

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

Whatever do you mean???  :jester:

Nudge nudge, wink wink.  Reinstall your dodgy fuel system for this race, we'll look the other way.  This race only, mind!

• Funny 5

1 hour ago, RJS1977 said:

57 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Whatever do you mean???  :jester:

Nudge nudge, wink wink.  Reinstall your dodgy fuel system for this race, we'll look the other way.  This race only, mind!

And whilst were at it Mr Binoto, is there anything else your would like us to tinker with to help you along?

Signed,

FIA.

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

9 minutes ago, Hobby said:

Well i hope it goes t*ts up for them and Merc/RedBull or Racing Point win!

They say that it could be at Ferrari's test Track that LH beats Michael Schumacher's win record, now THAT would be G O O D.:good: 

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 3
  • Agree 8

38 minutes ago, Hobby said:

Well i hope it goes t*ts up for them and Merc/RedBull or Racing Point win!

What an odd point of view. Like some sort of self gratification is due because that car I have no control over being successful vindicates my support of it.

I'm not twelve, so as long as there's good racing on show, entertain me overpaid puppets!

C6T. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 4630 said:

Change of ownership for Williams - sold to Dorilton Capital.

Sale of Williams to Dorilton Capital

I wonder who will be running the Team at Spa? Probably not Claire W. Good news that the Name is staying, at least for now, and it's secured seats for it's current Drivers for at least this year.

• Like 1

I'm not sure that sale to a capital investment firm is a good thing - what a F1 team needs in an owner is someone who is prepared to pour large amounts of money in for the love of the sport without expecting much in the way of financial return.

As the saying goes, the way to make a small fortune in F1 is to start with a large one!

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

I'm not sure that sale to a capital investment firm is a good thing - what a F1 team needs in an owner is someone who is prepared to pour large amounts of money in for the love of the sport without expecting much in the way of financial return.

As the saying goes, the way to make a small fortune in F1 is to start with a large one!

Yes, but Williams is not just about F1. A lot of investment value in the engineering expertise at Grove.

• Agree 3