The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1, 2020

Andrew P

A fairly predictable qualifying, but set for an interesting race.

I’m puzzled why only Kimi tried medium tyres in Q2 - improving his time.  I guess that the top three see it as a drag race to the first corner.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Hroth said:

Leclerc has already pinched "My engine sounds funny"!

Ferrari Engineer to CL: "What sort of noise is it making?"

CL to FE: "It sounds like it's whining"

FE to CL "Sorry Charles, I had the mic open to Sebastian...................."

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 5
  • Funny 5

59 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

An engine that switches off unexpectedly could be regarded as a disadvantage in most cars, let alone a F1 racer. But what do I know?

The biggest issue Ferrari had today is not that the engine switched off unexpectedly, but that it was in the wrong car....

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

The biggest issue Ferrari had today is not that the engine switched off unexpectedly, but that it was in the wrong car....

Leclerc WAS right to be concerned about his engine!

(I bet you he got Vettels engine when they did the chassis change...)

• Agree 3
  • Funny 2

I thought the most interesting aspect was the way Stroll again confirmed that he has found his feet. Qualified well, gave Bottas a wakey-wakey call, delivered the result. Keep this up and he'll give Leclerc a run for his money for the rest of the season.

Anyone else think Red Bully are likely looking for another driver by the end of the season unless Albon really picks it up soon?

Hamilton seemed to enjoy his work...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

55 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

I thought the most interesting aspect was the way Stroll again confirmed that he has found his feet. Qualified well, gave Bottas a wakey-wakey call, delivered the result. Keep this up and he'll give Leclerc a run for his money for the rest of the season.

Anyone else think Red Bully are likely looking for another driver by the end of the season unless Albon really picks it up soon?

Hamilton seemed to enjoy his work...

Vettel to Red Bull? NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNnnnnnnnnnnnnooooooooooooooooooooooooooo:no:

• Funny 3

44 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Even more interesting is the very lucky escape for Rossi in the Moto GP , on the list of shortcuts below the very unsurprising Ferrari behaviour !!

• Agree 2

48 minutes ago, Crisis Rail said:

Borefest.

Gave up years  ago - 1991 British GP was quite good.

Is Mansell still racing?

I watched Champ Cars for a while back then. It was a breakaway from IndyCar's. [They've since kissed and made up!]

For the first season I enjoyed the races on street tracks and what in Europe we'd call proper race tracks, but the oval races left me cold.

Until they did a piece about tactics on ovals. Then it made sense and from then on I enjoyed the ovals too.

Modern F1 is all about tyre management. So yesterday's near procession was a tour DE force for Hamilton who had had a mare of a race the weekend before with tyres disintegrating, yet he won yesterday by  seconds.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, micklner said:

Even more interesting is the very lucky escape for Rossi in the Moto GP , on the list of shortcuts below the very unsurprising Ferrari behaviour !!

A rider was not so lucky earlier when he hit a downed bike.

58 minutes ago, Hobby said:

If you've not watched it since '91 how do you know it's a borefest...

I've done BTCC since '88.

Helped out with a small Formula Ford setup Mallory  - Oulton -  Snett - Cadders

Odd bit of co-driving SD34 Championship a while back.

I don't want to borefest you further.

Edited by Crisis Rail
  • Like 2

You're not boring me at all, I was just intrigued how you could know it's a borefest when you admit to not watching it for years (your words!), still waiting for an answer! ;)

As regards yesterday's race, yes Hamilton out front for the whole race would have been boring if they'd just shown him all the time. Luckily Sky certainly didn't in their highlights and there was lots of overtaking going on further down. I watched a BTCC event by accident over the weekend when Oliphant (sp?) won, the race itself was quite ordinary, some overtaking but not a great deal. There was more discussion about weights than anything else by the commentators, they were getting quite excited about it, I wasn't. There are boring races in all formulas, and also some crackers, both the races I saw over the weekend were somewhere in the middle.

One thing I would say is that if you are personally involved in a formula (driver, pits, steward or journalist) you always get a lot more from it than the average spectator and sometimes that can cloud your view.

Edited by Hobby
  • Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Hobby said:

One thing I would say is that if you are personally involved in a formula (driver, pits, steward or journalist) you always get a lot more from it than the average spectator and sometimes that can cloud your view.

I would addd to that being at a meeting where access to the paddock etc beforehand can give you a feel for what those involved are up to. Club racing was always like that, no doubt. I also feel that the LM 24 hrs offers that for those lucky enough to get to the Test Weekend, when on the Friday and Saturday no engines are started, but each car is pushed up to the scrute bay in turn, and you can wander up and down the pitlane and rub shoulders with everyone including entrants and drivers. Maybe the very top factory teams are a bit up themselves, but the vast majority are more friendly. This year’s race is scheduled for September, but I’m not holding my breath and we may well not take up our (paid for) seats if it indeed takes place. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Yes I agree, that's what I always like about BRISCA stock cars was access to the pits, made the whole thing more personal and you could chat with the drivers and their hangers-on!

Watching on TV can be a help and a hindrance, whilst you don't get the "sight and sounds" on larger circuits you do get a better view of the action on TV. Swings and roundabouts.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

I've only once been to an F1 race, 85 at Brands when Mansell won his first race.  I found it a fairly boring affair for a spectator used to TV coverage, despite the sounds and spectacle - and wow don't they go fast when you're relatively close up (turbo era - they were FAST) but I have never felt the need to go again, preferring TV.  

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Hobby said:

You're not boring me at all, I was just intrigued how you could know it's a borefest when you admit to not watching it for years (your words!), still waiting for an answer! ;)

As regards yesterday's race, yes Hamilton out front for the whole race would have been boring if they'd just shown him all the time. Luckily Sky certainly didn't in their highlights and there was lots of overtaking going on further down. I watched a BTCC event by accident over the weekend when Oliphant (sp?) won, the race itself was quite ordinary, some overtaking but not a great deal. There was more discussion about weights than anything else by the commentators, they were getting quite excited about it, I wasn't. There are boring races in all formulas, and also some crackers, both the races I saw over the weekend were somewhere in the middle.

Involvement yes your right  -  we gave it up years ago a bit like any "hobby" expensive (mostly so when your vehicle ends up in the scenery) and too much of a clique at times  - a bit like being on here :D

Don't need to watch F1  - I really could guess what was going on  - in any case there is all the unavoidable social media thrown at you from every angle -  apparently someones overalls were too hot?

The sport has changed no matter how you dress it up with whatever regulations - that goes for BTCC too I suppose -  Rouse Cleland Soper legendary drivers in legendary times.

We just need to get the crowds back.

Ian

Edited by Crisis Rail
  • Like 2