The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1, 2020

Andrew P

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Decided he really wants an F1 seat after all and advertising that he is prepared to try hard from now on?

He wouldn’t have the reputation amongst the others of the best driver not to get a podium if he didn’t try hard. He’s just never had the machinery though basic luck. When good spots came up he was locked into contracts. Ocon was similarly well regarded and had a year out and displaced Hulk probably just because he’s younger and had Merc’s push behind him. Look at George seeing his contemporaries in two of the teams expected to challenge Merc and the one on the ascendancy yet he’s stuck at the back in the weakest car at the start of 2020, its only Ferrari’s fall that’s given him a view of their gearbox! It’s brutal. 

• Agree 4

Big deal mid year shift.:o

Vetttel out.

Ferrari buy out Sains for early move.

McLaren buy out Ricciardo for early move.

Alonso in, but sulks as he is easily beaten by Ocon.

Perez out, Hulk in permanently.

Alonso quits again and is replaced by George Russel, due to Merc Engine deal for 2021.:good:

• Round of applause 3

• RMweb Gold

Perez seems to have lost the money buys him the drive millstone as he’s proved competitive and mostly stays out of trouble with others. Mind you Stroll has started to show his talent better but still gets little support from the pundit drivers so there’s obviously been a strong opinion of why he’s there with them. Last weekend was the first time I’ve heard DC and Mark Webber give him any praise and that was for his pre F1 record!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Surprised by Brundles  remarks on Racing Points statement just now. May be only 18 cars on the grid next time followed by smaller grids there after.  Stroll Sr  did not become a billionaire  by lacking  intellectual ability  or a ruthless streak .

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, skipepsi said:

Surprised by Brundles  remarks on Racing Points statement just now. May be only 18 cars on the grid next time followed by smaller grids there after.  Stroll Sr  did not become a billionaire  by lacking  intellectual ability  or a ruthless streak .

Not having Sky I only get to see the backdoor online version which doesn't include the prelims, but having read Stroll's statement on PitPass I am wondering why he hasn't mentioned Ferrari, the FIA and the hidden outcome of enquiries that have, thankfully, at least left Ferrari's engine so under-gutted. One law for the Italians, another for a man putting a lot of money into the sport, and upstaging old stagers. 

F1 is unravelling. 

• Agree 8

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Not having Sky I only get to see the backdoor online version which doesn't include the prelims, but having read Stroll's statement on PitPass I am wondering why he hasn't mentioned Ferrari, the FIA and the hidden outcome of enquiries that have, thankfully, at least left Ferrari's engine so under-gutted. One law for the Italians, another for a man putting a lot of money into the sport, and upstaging old stagers. 

F1 is unravelling. 

Bernie would have done better...  

• Like 1

This is one of the reasons i have moved over to touring cars as well as not having Sky tv although my favourite motorsport is Rallying. I went to Dalby forest in the late 80s it was fantastic but cold 

Harry King has just had a storming race in Porsche carrera cup won with a margin of 6 seconds from 4th on grid

Its only his 4th race wone 3 out of 4 races 

Edited by simontaylor484
Updates
  • Like 1

Sky did a lovely piece on Sir Stirling and spoke to Murray Walker via phone for his memory of the first race. Also a good bit by Sir Captain Tom. It came up somewhere that Ferrari didn't take part in the first race due to money. Nothing changes there!

I can see Ferrari dropping Vettel. He drives like the car is on castors!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, skipepsi said:

Bernie would have done better

It was down to Bernie's greed that it was lost to terrestrial TV.

I must admit I was pretty angry at the time and made a complaint to the BBC. But as an already Sky HD customer I get it for free. Shhh dont tell anyone!

Having a dedicated channel is good, it gives more time for dedicated interaction. I always got annoyed when ITV/BBC would cut the driver interviews. You'd have endless drivel and interviews after football, but F1 was swept aside for Coronation Street!

Edited by didcot
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, didcot said:

I must admit I was pretty angry at the time and made a complaint to the BBC

Methinks you were complaining to the wrong people, multiple times over.  The BBC hadn't had any rights to the live terrestrial broadcasts, or the highlights, for a good while before Sky and C4 carved them up between them.  (The BBC had actually given up the rights they had previously bid for and won because they could no longer afford them - for reason s which I cannot go in to here without risking falling foul of the forum rules).  And it's was never within the BBC's gift to award the rights: that was always down to F1/Liberty.

Edited by ejstubbs
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

F1 is unravelling. 

I'm wondering if Stroll is waiting and biding his time on the Ferrari issue, when he will have other Teams backing him, where as at the moment they want HIS blood.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That was an awesome race from Max and a well deserved win. He made a great call to over-ride the team's request to go slower

Red Bull: "Max, you need to back off to save your tyres"

Max: "Hold my beer..."

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

I felt that the Mercs were eating any sort of tyre today, while the RBs just weren't. There has to be a downside to having aced the aero in this formula. Hot races have felled the Mercs before, and may yet make the season more interesting.

I have heard lots of stuff about Covid being rampant in Spain, yet no hint of the race being under threat next weekend. Have I missed anything? 

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

19 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I felt that the Mercs were eating any sort of tyre today, while the RBs just weren't. There has to be a downside to having aced the aero in this formula. Hot races have felled the Mercs before, and may yet make the season more interesting.

I have heard lots of stuff about Covid being rampant in Spain, yet no hint of the race being under threat next weekend. Have I missed anything? 

I agree about the Spanish Race, I did say on here a couple of weeks back that I thought it would be cancelled, as Barcelona is quite bad.

There is also the issue of anyone returning from Spain requiring to self isolate on return to the UK. 

• Agree 2

52 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

30 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

I agree about the Spanish Race, I did say on here a couple of weeks back that I thought it would be cancelled, as Barcelona is quite bad.

There is also the issue of anyone returning from Spain requiring to self isolate on return to the UK. 

Just seen this re Spain.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/53717284

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Utterly confusing.  To me it seems like one of the minnows is in danger of beating the big boy constructors and rather than seeing it as a competitive challenge they’re finding any excuse to get at them.  My sympathies are with Racing Point, who - fairly or not - have acted within the regulations.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

As this was at Silverstone I was surprised there was no live coverage. But saw in news the results.

I could see Formula E taking over as most watched motor sport.

• Like 1