The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1, 2020

Andrew P

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, didcot said:

I think it was Adrian Newey who said that if Ferrari saw something and couldn't copy it successfully, then they would complain to the FIA to have it banned.

Smacks of glass houses and stones, given Ferrari's so called deal with the Ferrari International Aid over legalities towards the end of last season. If I were Racing Point I would be applying pressure to have that deal publicised!

I have every confidence that the 'deal' agreed between FIA and Ferrari about the examination of their engine last season was kept secret due to influence by a third party. F1 would have had a quiet word with Todt about the damage revelations might do to their pet series, which keeps Liberty in business, and offers FIA an opportunity to feel important. Lots of mutual interests there, at a time when electric racing is more visible than ever before and attracting manufacturers away from internal combustion. Ferrari being exposed as a sham could have nuked F1 once and for all. 

• Agree 7

• RMweb Gold

Bottas is the perfect wingman. Almost as good as Lewis, at least on his good days, but not consistent enough to threaten him. And none of the nastiness his predecessor seemed to display. 2022 will be a different world in all sorts of respects, always assuming Covid has been tamed by then. If F1 is still viable in a commercial world upended by the pandemic, the major changes to cars and teams may just bring the relief from Mercedes's domination so many yearn for. 

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

Comments  from Ross Brawn on the Pink Merc .

"My view is copying in Formula One is standard," said Brawn, a former Honda and Mercedes team boss

who also won titles with his own eponymous team, in a column here on the Formula One website after

Sunday's Hungarian Grand Prix.

“Every team has, in normal times, digital photographers in the pit lane out there taking thousands

of photos of every car for analysis, with a view of copying the best ideas.

We used to give our photographers a shopping list.

“Racing Point have just taken it to the next stage and done a more thorough job.”

Brawn, also a former Ferrari technical director, said he’d ask every technical director to raise a hand

if they hadn’t copied someone else.

“You won’t see any hands. I have certainly copied others,” he added.

Edited by Sidecar Racer
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

21 hours ago, Andrew P said:

The Three year rule!.

Of those that have have competed in F1 in the last three years:-

Felipe Massa.

Stoffel Vandoorne.

Pascal Wehlein,

Brendon Hartley.

Are competing in FE.

That leaves:-

Jolyon Palmer.

Marcus Ericson.

Sergey Sirotkin.

Oh, an a couple more:-

Jenson Button.

Fernando Alonso.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, rocor said:

The Three year rule!.

Of those that have have competed in F1 in the last three years:-

Felipe Massa.

Stoffel Vandoorne.

Pascal Wehlein,

Brendon Hartley.

Are competing in FE.

That leaves:-

Jolyon Palmer.

Marcus Ericson.

Sergey Sirotkin.

Oh, an a couple more:-

Jenson Button.

Fernando Alonso.

Not forgetting The Pole, Robert Kubica.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

Bottas is the perfect wingman. Almost as good as Lewis, at least on his good days, but not consistent enough to threaten him. And none of the nastiness his predecessor seemed to display. 2022 will be a different world in all sorts of respects, always assuming Covid has been tamed by then. If F1 is still viable in a commercial world upended by the pandemic, the major changes to cars and teams may just bring the relief from Mercedes's domination so many yearn for. 

And Bottas says he talked to other Teams before confirming the Drive.

https://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/29607626/bottas-talked-other-teams-signing-mercedes

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

...2022 will be a different world in all sorts of respects, always assuming Covid has been tamed by then. If F1 is still viable in a commercial world upended by the pandemic...

There will be an F1, but the day of it being electric rather than internal combustion powered may just have drawn that much closer. It will be much as the end of steam for railway traction - meh - especially once it is the obvious autonomous drive machines competing.

After all, the idea of letting humans career about in direct control of an assault weapon is fundamentally stupid, and getting to safe autonomous capability is what we all want. Let the robots crash for our entertainment as random appearances by artificial foul weather, the herd of cows, pavement subsidence, drifting smoke, bridge collapse, random vehicles with human driver simulations, GPS failure, simulated coronal mass ejection events,  'whatever'; occur to test the autonomous system's integrity.

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

After all, the idea of letting humans career about in direct control of an assault weapon is fundamentally stupid, and getting to safe autonomous capability is what we all want. Let the robots crash for our entertainment as random appearances by artificial foul weather, the herd of cows, pavement subsidence, drifting smoke, bridge collapse, random vehicles with human driver simulations, GPS failure, simulated coronal mass ejection events,  'whatever'; occur to test the autonomous system's integrity.

Crikey. 

• Agree 3

53 minutes ago, EddieB said:

Seems to be a breaking update to that story that Perez has tested positive again, so Hulkenberg seems set to take the place again.  

I am not surprised by this.

If it takes up to 7 days for the virus to show any symptoms than another 7-10 to get over it then staying away for 2 weeks sounds about right.

It shows the value of the bubble concept though.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Vettel riding in Racing Point Ferrari? surly that is breaking the F1 Bubble, and would seem to me to be trying to wind up the Red Car Bosses to a degree where they dispose of him NOW.

https://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/29612383/vettel-confirms-ride-racing-point-boss-ferrari

Surely the bubble contains everyone in the paddock? If 1 of them interacts with somebody else, they are both considered to have broken the bubble.

If Ferrari do not want to create another contract with Vettel then they should expect him to talk to other teams. He will still be bound by confidentiality clauses though. As long as he doesn't reveal any Ferrari secrets about how they screw things up, then they should not have a problem.

What I don't understand is everyone in F1 wearing face coverings. Once they have been cleared & allowed into the bubble, it should be a Covid free environment. If nobody within the bubble has the virus, how can they pass it on?

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Surely the bubble contains everyone in the paddock? If 1 of them interacts with somebody else, they are both considered to have broken the bubble.

If Ferrari do not want to create another contract with Vettel then they should expect him to talk to other teams. He will still be bound by confidentiality clauses though. As long as he doesn't reveal any Ferrari secrets about how they screw things up, then they should not have a problem.

What I don't understand is everyone in F1 wearing face coverings. Once they have been cleared & allowed into the bubble, it should be a Covid free environment. If nobody within the bubble has the virus, how can they pass it on?

I understood that each Team had also to create a Bubble within the Paddock Bubble, i.e. not go to any other Teams area.

IIRC Vettel got into trouble at the first Race for going into Red Bull and talking to CH, as that was breaking the Ferrari bubble.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Darius43 said:

Will they have to revert to last year’s car for the rest of the calendar?

From the BBC https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/53693249

the FIA stewards said the points deduction was "intended to penalise the potential advantage Racing Point may have accrued in the design process".

I guess from that it’s to cover the rest of the season using the illegal parts. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Darius43 said:

Racing Point fined 400,000 Euros, lose 15 points

Will they have to revert to last year’s car for the rest of the calendar?

Darius

This penalty poses the obvious question of, what was the basis of  the ruling?.

Being as it not against the rules to copy aspects of a rivals car, but it is to be supplied from them, with the parts or the design thereof, then this decision is also going to put Mercedes under the FIA's spotlight.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PaulRhB said:

From the BBC https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/53693249

the FIA stewards said the points deduction was "intended to penalise the potential advantage Racing Point may have accrued in the design process".

I guess from that it’s to cover the rest of the season using the illegal parts. 

Yes, the fine and point deduction covers the car for the rest of the season. No requirement to redesign the rear duct until next year

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, rocor said:

This penalty poses the obvious question of, what was the basis of  the ruling?.

Being as it not against the rules to copy aspects of a rivals car, but it is to be supplied from them, with the parts or the design thereof, then this decision is also going to put Mercedes under the FIA's spotlight.

No, 

Merc supplied the design details before the brake ducts were added to the banned list of shareable parts last year. RP's mistake was not introducing the rear ducts until this year. If they had done so last year like they did with the front ones then all would have been okay

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5