The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1, 2020

Andrew P

15 minutes ago, Chrisr40 said:

Red bull red faced...if they hadn't gone for fastest lap they would have got the win.

Not really.

We all saw Hamilton's tyres die, but he & his crew were happy that his tyres were less worn that Bottas' & if they left him out after that, why should the RB crew suspect that the Merc team had go it so wrong? Nobody had that information at the time & you can't make an informed decision with information which is not available.

If Verstappen's tyre had gone pop, many would be saying they should have pitted.

A few points skipped over by the coverage...

Predictions were for a stop around 17-25 laps (depending on initial tyre) then hards until the end of the race, but a safety car caused them to pit early, putting more wear on the hard tyres than expected.

Teams are free to choose what they do with tyres. It was their choice to squeeze 40 laps from a set of hards. They could just as easily have chosen to do less then a set of soft or mediums for the last few laps. Could fresh mediums have been quick enough over the last 10 laps to cover the time taken to fit them? If they were, then the performance difference would have been so great that they would both have comfortably passed Verstappen.

Next week is forecast to be hotter & the tyres a compound softer. Since when has a UK forecast been accurate 7 days away? We could just as easily see medium/inter/wet/inter/soft!

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

Well that was interesting, revealed by an earlier than planned tyre change due to the safety car, the Merc. may be harder on its tyres than the Red Bull and Ferrari. Apart from Bottas they were all driving in pretty clear air. Against that of course Bottas was pressing full time, so Hamilton wasn't able to ease off once the lead over Verstappen was sufficient. Anyone else feel Merc. were a little late in letting their drivers know that left front tyre life was becoming marginal? Easing the pace from lap 40 or thereabouts might have got both Mercs home, each on four wheels. No point having all that fancy telemetry if you don't use the data.

Wait for next weekend now, and see if Verstappen wants another stab at the fastest lap point if his position is much the same, two or three laps from the finish? We chewed this over last year, and some of us thought that it would only be a consolation point for a driver out of the place points to try for in the last few laps. Possibly this event might influence thinking by the leading teams: In a good points position? Don't chance it for the extra point...

As for Albon, is there a new Maldonaldo lurking behind that sweetly smiling face? Either I get past you, or I hit you, your choice. How many attempted overtake shunts has he had since he got the Red Bull seat?

6 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

...I think Lando’s comments about realising never to give up produced the two spectacular last lap performances in races 1 and 2 but it’s about keeping that level all the time on top of the pure talent.

Definitely, and he stuck with it today after a disappointing start, solid result and still fourth overall in the table. He's showing the right mindset; keep it tidy, keep grafting away.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

If Verstappen's tyre had gone pop, many would be saying they should have pitted.

As Max noted himself his was vibrating so they might have had a very lucky escape in pitting, he seemed to think that was likely from his reaction. 

12 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

for Albon, is there a new Maldonaldo lurking behind that sweetly smiling face? Either I get past you, or I hit you, your choice.

As Mark and DC notes it was 50/50, a little optimistic from Alex but he had his tyre alongside and it may just have been fractions out of his sight as the other turned in. 
Max and Charles bumped in similar conditions last year and got away with it. Hamilton and Alex got penalised because of the impact on the others race. 

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, mudmagnet said:

RBR will be checking the rule book about not finishing with 4 wheels on the track!

;) I wondered how they measure the ride height! We always hear they run over the marbles to pick up rubber to pass it ;) 

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, StuAllen said:

It’ll be 2 stops next week, they’re set to use softer tyres so the problem will be compounded.

Or they can run longer in the first stint? Merc only pitted early because of the safety car from what was said. 

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, mudmagnet said:

RBR will be checking the rule book about not finishing with 4 wheels on the track!

Hamilton did have 4 wheels on the track, the shell of the burst tyre stayed wrapped around the wheel - I don't imagine that the rule book has anything to say about the state of the tyres or the degree of inflation!

• Agree 3

4 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

...As Mark and DC notes it was 50/50, a little optimistic from Alex but he had his tyre alongside and it may just have been fractions out of his sight as the other turned in...

Indeed, it's all been 'racing', possibly a little misjudgement or over optimism: but that's three (? - correct me if there are others) now, since he started in the Red Bull summer 2019. He won't have to do many more at that rate to get a rep..

7 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

Or they can run longer in the first stint? Merc only pitted early because of the safety car from what was said. 

All apart from Grosjean went for their second set at the lap 13 safety car; much earlier than the planned stop for those starting on mediums and going onto hard; which would have been something like 24 laps for the first stint, 28 laps for the second stint on the hard tyre. Of course with the cars still well fuelled, the mediums might have been sufficiently worn to have moved the tyre change earlier.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, melmerby said:

Who is going tobuy Pirelli tyres for their car based on that? Not a good advert.

It's hardly Pirelli's fault that those in charge of F1 deliberately get them to make tyres that won't last race distance simply in order to make things "more exciting".  IMO it's just another example (like DRS) of the convoluted reasoning that is deployed to try to create an artificial spectacle that people will pay to watch on TV.  If you persist which such nonsenses for long enough people forget that it didn't used to be that way - and/or a new generation of fans emerges who've never known anything different - and it becomes (to use that currently all-too-popular phrase) "the new normal".

If strategic tyre stops were somehow outlawed I don't doubt that Pirelli would be perfectly capable of making tyres that would last the race.  And I suspect that the cars would behave very differently...

Edited by ejstubbs
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Hamilton did have 4 wheels on the track, the shell of the burst tyre stayed wrapped around the wheel - I don't imagine that the rule book has anything to say about the state of the tyres or the degree of inflation!

Agreed, but sort of a thing that they would do.....

• Funny 2

An enjoyable Race, once again the Vet couldn't make any headway, likewise Charles. The Red Cars did seem on their limit today. I really felt for Bottas and Sainz, but lady luck was with Lewis once again, and he managed the situation like a true Champion.

I recon many Teams will look at 2 stops next week if there are no Safety Cars in the first half.

• Agree 3

What bad luck for the Hulk, today I recon he would have beaten Stroll, and maybe had a few Points to show for a weekends dedication.

I hope he gets the drive again next week and can show his worth as a good mid field racer.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Didn’t Christian Fitipaldi almost once cross the line at Monza upside down?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, EddieB said:

Didn’t Christian Fitipaldi almost once cross the line at Monza upside down?

Jack Brabham famously won his last World Championship by pushing his car over the line, and Nigel Mansell nearly completed a US Grand Prix in similar manner but collapsed because of the heat.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Not really.

We all saw Hamilton's tyres die, but he & his crew were happy that his tyres were less worn that Bottas' & if they left him out after that, why should the RB crew suspect that the Merc team had go it so wrong? Nobody had that information at the time & you can't make an informed decision with information which is not available.

Horner told Sky F1 that Max’s tyres were knackered when he pitted and his left front also had a deep groove worn in to it so was no better than Merc & McLaren and may have also gone pop in those last 2 laps. He was pleased they stopped and guaranteed 2nd.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

5 hours ago, melmerby said:

Who is going tobuy Pirelli tyres for their car based on that? Not a good advert.

I noticed Pirelli sent a lackey down to the winners enclosure to deliberately get in the way of the camera as Lewis pulled in, red bin bag in-hand to cover the front left wheel. After the fact the entire viewing audience had seen three blow-outs in quick succession mind you...

C6T. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, ejstubbs said:

It's hardly Pirelli's fault that those in charge of F1 deliberately get them to make tyres that won't last race distance simply in order to make things "more exciting".  IMO it's just another example (like DRS) of the convoluted reasoning that is deployed to try to create an artificial spectacle that people will pay to watch on TV.  If you persist which such nonsenses for long enough people forget that it didn't used to be that way - and/or a new generation of fans emerges who've never known anything different - and it becomes (to use that currently all-too-popular phrase) "the new normal".

If strategic tyre stops were somehow outlawed I don't doubt that Pirelli would be perfectly capable of making tyres that would last the race.  And I suspect that the cars would behave very differently...

Agreed.

Pirelli also give guidelines as to how long their tyres should last & they have usually been pretty accurate.

If they assess that their tyres will last 35 laps & the teams try to make them last more, whose fault is the failure?

• Agree 3