The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1, 2020

Andrew P

1 hour ago, PaulRhB said:

Budget cap possibly but if everyone buys the same basic car it makes it easier to compare drivers but stifles innovation. You may as well put them in a fleet of Identical road cars each week. The little features that evened out Mercedes advantage last year would also be gone and those clever little things that balance on the very edge of the rules would be lost as they are intrinsic to the design of the whole car in many cases. Cheat or just very clever engineering on the edge?
F1 is meant to be the pinnacle of drivers and engineering ;) 

Maybe make all the teams release their technical information to the other teams at the end of each season? That way no team gets too far behind development wise and everyone can pick and choose what they perceive to be the best features from each other's cars and add their own developments rather than trying to play catch up all the time.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, Classsix T said:

(I'd be sooo tempted to sit on one, tee hee!) C6T. 

If Danni Ricc gets on the podium you might see that! ;)

1 hour ago, Chrisr40 said:

Aside from aero tweaks and finesse they all look the same now. Gone are the days of standout aesthetic designs sadly.

Ever since aero became so important (mid 50s?) I'd say they've all looked the same. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

I'm not sure about that - I seem to remember when Nigel Mansell was driving for them in the early 90s, he and Gerhard Berger seemed to retire from almost every race with gearbox issues.

But once their gearbox issues did not last very long & once they got it working, they soon bounced back...to no.2.

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

I know we are only two races into the oddest of years, but for Lando to find himself comfortably third in the Championship is surreal. Of course it won't last, but the McLaren obviously improves its balance and performance as the fuel burns off. Being thereabouts towards the end of a race may garner a few more points yet, just like Styria. 

And McLaren currently second in the constructors!  With two class drivers, and Ferrari in poor shape, it's all to fight for: third or fourth anyone? It might not be quite McLaren style of old, 'Win or nothing', but the long game that is required; plug away to get both drivers to the finish every race, and let the points take care of themselves.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Chrisr40 said:

Apparently Vettel is close to signing with Racing point....wouldnt want to be Sergio Perez right now as cant see stroll jr being given the boot by dad.

Perhaps they want him as the test driver?  :jester:

• Funny 5

49 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Perhaps they want him as the test driver?  :jester:

Perhaps they want their heads examined? A guy of proven declining ability who isn't happy in a star team, in a seat where he will only qualify for a rear third of grid position, and the only hope of points is staying on the track while everyone else makes errors. That's going to be a source of joy...

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

3 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Perhaps they want their heads examined? A guy of proven declining ability who isn't happy in a star team, in a seat where he will only qualify for a rear third of grid position, and the only hope of points is staying on the track while everyone else makes errors. That's going to be a source of joy...

Very well put.:good:

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

There could be another option...

Grojean is long overdue the big boot from Haas and with their already close tie in with Ferrari Vettel should be right at home.

Remember Perez brings a LOT of money with him, even with Stroll Senior's vast pockets having a driver who pays his own way and has not disgraced himself at all this season (unlike previous years) should keep him in the pink seat.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Interesting information on the Vettel transfer, I can't see it happening, a few sources saying it's already signed - but then again, they said that when they had a "watertight" source that Vettel was signing for McLaren.

The flip side to the Vettel argument is that it is the first year of "Aston Martin Racing" next year. Imagine the PR they could get: "Aston Martin Racing sign quadruple world champion for their inaugural season". Would it make them a more attractive deal for sponsors too?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Derails Models said:

"Aston Martin Racing sign quadruple world champion for their inaugural season". Would it make them a more attractive deal for sponsors too?

Maybe not so much once the sponsors realise who said "quadruple world champion" actually is...

OTOH I believe that a lot of sponsors don't really care that much how the cars perform, it's the opportunity it gives them to invite their favourite customers/prospects to hob-nob in the high-glitz world of F1 that has the greatest appeal.  You can serve champagne and caviar in a corporate box even if your two cars are last, and next-to-last - and likely few if any there present would care.

Edited by ejstubbs
  • Agree 1

If I was a team owner I wouldn't touch Vettel with someone else's barge pole let alone my own.

Over that last few years to many mistakes and road rage have crept into his driving. Possibly the pressure for driving for Ferrari. He should have been disqualified and had a race ban for his driving and subsequent out burst a Baku. But Ferrari International Aid came to the rescue again.

Both my son and I have been watching old races over lockdown. We were surprised by the amount of spins, collisions and finger pointing that occurred during his pre Ferrari career. 

I think he needs to walk away whilst what remains of his reputation is still intact.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

21 minutes ago, didcot said:

...Vettel ... my son and I have been watching old races over lockdown. We were surprised by the amount of spins, collisions and finger pointing that occurred during his pre Ferrari career. I think he needs to walk away whilst what remains of his reputation is still intact.

He was always a little 'edgy',  not comfortable even when enjoying the clear class car in the field in which he won all his championships, clearly unhappy whenever Webber showed him a thing or two. Subsequently shown to be inferior next to the less experienced Ricciardo, and not regarded as in Alonso's class by Ferrari... Very lucky guy to have four championships: compared to the likes of Senna, Stewart, Lauda, Prost, with 3 each as rewards for their rare skills when the first challenge was to live long enough, any of whom would I feel have eaten him for breakfast.

• Like 3
  • Agree 7

1 hour ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

. Very lucky guy to have four championships: compared to the likes of Senna, Stewart, Lauda, Prost, with 3 each as rewards for their rare skills when the first challenge was to live long enough, any of whom would I feel have eaten him for breakfast.

Prost won four, albeit with one settled in somewhat dubious circumstances...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, ejstubbs said:

Maybe not so much once the sponsors realise who said "quadruple world champion" actually is...

OTOH I believe that a lot of sponsors don't really care that much how the cars perform, it's the opportunity it gives them to invite their favourite customers/prospects to hob-nob in the high-glitz world of F1 that has the greatest appeal.  You can serve champagne and caviar in a corporate box even if your two cars are last, and next-to-last - and likely few if any there present would care.

Really? Tell that to the Williams team, but stand well back for the response.......

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, ianwales said:

Read a few bits regarding this on various websites, consensus of opinion seems to be Vettell to Aston Martin F1 for 2021 and Perez to Haas

I hope not.:no:

• Agree 3

3 hours ago, ianwales said:

Read a few bits regarding this on various websites, consensus of opinion seems to be Vettell to Aston Martin F1 for 2021 and Perez to Haas

With Grosjean sent off to the care home for superannuated F1 drivers, also known as Indycar.

Edited by rocor
I got the words in the wrong order Doh!.
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
On ‎15‎/‎07‎/‎2020 at 17:44, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

He was always a little 'edgy',  not comfortable even when enjoying the clear class car in the field in which he won all his championships, clearly unhappy whenever Webber showed him a thing or two. Subsequently shown to be inferior next to the less experienced Ricciardo, and not regarded as in Alonso's class by Ferrari... Very lucky guy to have four championships: compared to the likes of Senna, Stewart, Lauda, Prost, with 3 each as rewards for their rare skills when the first challenge was to live long enough, any of whom would I feel have eaten him for breakfast.

I think Vettel was probably very fortunate to come along at a time when it had become (relatively) safe to "prang". Safety advances  quite quickly turned some "edgy" drivers into contenders for trophies rather than candidates for urns. He hasn't been the sole example of that.  

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

I think Vettel was probably very fortunate to come along at a time when it had become (relatively) safe to "prang". Safety advances  quite quickly turned some "edgy" drivers into contenders for trophies rather than candidates for urns. He hasn't been the sole example of that.  

John

Sadly today is the 5th anniversary of Jules Bianchi's death. If that hadn't happened where would Vettel be today?

https://www.gpfans.com/en/articles/54473/five-years-on-formula-1-remembers-jules-bianchi/

• Agree 1