The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1, 2020

Andrew P

1 hour ago, Chrisr40 said:

But how do they do that if they cant get in to F1 because there are no seats to let them show they are better than the old guard. I like Kimi and Alonso but I cant help feel they are there because they will sell lots of replica caps and t shirts.

Btw didn't Mika have to beat Schumi ? I wouldnt call that a weaker field.

In all fairness, I think (nearly) the whole grid has moved on since Alonso’s “retirement”, both in terms of temperament and ability. 

Mika’s two titles came at the time Schumacher had first moved to Ferrari and was still in the process of making the car competitive (1997) and then missing six races with a broken leg (1998).

• Informative/Useful 2

If we're talking about drivers racing a 'weak' field, Schumacher himself 'won' his first World Championship in a year where no former champions completed a full season - I think the first time that had happened since 1951.

In terms of drivers being 'forced to retire' after a certain number of seasons, sorry, not in favour. As well as weakening the field, an arbitrary limit could force drivers out of the sport who are still at the top of their game. And many teams might well prefer to have an experienced driver who they can bank on not to make many mistakes, who can contribute to the development of the car, and help develop his younger teammate, than have two inexperienced drivers. (Of course, nobody wants an over-the-hill driver who makes lots of mistakes and doesn't get on with younger team-mates.....)

In terms of driver pay, I've sometimes wondered whether drivers should be centrally contracted to F1 (possibly with a lesser pay differential between drivers and a points-based bonus scheme instead). Drivers and teams would choose each other based on who they think they are most likely to win races and championships with. That way drivers would not be able to play teams off against each other for higher salaries. However driver development is just one of many places in F1 where any money saved through this process could be usefully employed, and it can only be spent once....

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Philj W - Those gpfans links you provide go nowhere for me, maybe others. I literally get a blank page every time. Perhaps membership is needed or a UK location.

I think you need a UK location. Try Facebook under gp fans english (all lower case)

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

I see Bottas and Leclerc nipped home to Monaco between Austrian races, and have been censured for being outside the respective team bubbles. Yes, social media pics gave the game away. But then Todt lui même has also been snapped in much closer contact with colleagues than recommended. 

This is unnatural behaviour for us all, but those who make millions from their sport might try a little harder. 

And it had been subsequently shown Bottas remained within the defined bubble boundaries but Leclerc didn’t. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
  • RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Ian, were you able to view gp fans on Facebook?

Yes I found the page, thanks, but was unclear where to look from there. And then it seemed to get into MotoGP, too. Never mind.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I was looking at the BBC web stream and the headline just got me....

Hamilton takes spectacular wet pole

I'm not sure I'd want a wet pole...  :jester:

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
On 10/07/2020 at 10:54, PhilJ W said:

New kid on the block.

https://www.gpfans.com/en/articles/54162/official-f1-to-race-at-mugello-in-2020-season/

Usually hosts motorcycle events but the last formula car event was a Formula 3000 event in 2000.

Love this track, very hard to master when I was playing it on the old MotoGP game on the PC but so satisfying when getting it right.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Now that is what I call giving people a schooling in wet driving! Outstanding pole lap from Hamilton.

The whole quali session was great with the mix of drivers /teams putting in excellent laps, with McLaren, Renault and Williams putting in a good showing.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

Wow.

Every once in a while Lewis pulls out a qualifying lap that makes the hair on the back of my neck* stand up!  There was Singapore and I watched him do it in the wet in Hungary two years ago.  Today was another, I didn’t see the final, fastest lap but even the one before was absolutely thrilling.

*Even more so during Lockdown!

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

I think the cameras were trying to watch Max, doing very well in response to Lewis's previous effort. But when it showed two purple sectors we knew it might be mega. And it was. Max and Charles, Lando and others, all have - hopefully - long and successful futures, but Lewis is still there and that seventh championship is not beyond reach.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

As has been shown in previous races etc, that wet conditions do level the car performance and allow the drivers to show their skills and not rely on having the fastest car. Lewis yet again shows that he is the master in the wet conditions.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Don't mention the Ferraris.:o

I said DON'T mention the ....................:angry: 

I did once, but I think I got away with it...

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, mudmagnet said:

As has been shown in previous races etc, that wet conditions do level the car performance and allow the drivers to show their skills and not rely on having the fastest car. Lewis yet again shows that he is the master in the wet conditions.

Except when it is wet in Hockenheim......

(Although I agree that LH was masterful today with a "sighting lap" before showing what could be done)

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1