The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1, 2020

Andrew P

23 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

This reminds me of the time Ferrari were retiring from a number of races owing to 'electrical problems'.

However in one race an engine let go in spectacular fashion. One of the TV crews went up to the Ferrari team principal and asked him "Was this another electrical problem?"

"Yes, the crankshaft broke and knocked the distributor cap off!"

Similar to the situation In 1982, when  Alfa Romeos F1 engines were failing on a regular basis. After one particular race, a retirement was attributed by the team to an oil leak. When questioned by the F1 journalist Denis Jenkinson, chief mechanic Ermanno Coughi said: "Si, si. Oil leak...through big 'ole in the engine."

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

Strange how quickly things change.  Just a short while ago, the grid was full of Germans - now only one remains and his longevity is in question.  Is there still a Vettel following as there was in the days of his pomp?  If anything, the orange army that follows Max seems to represent the largest fan base.

In normal times, the revenue a national driver generates might justify his retention, but with the leading team from that country, and no spectator revenue, does that still apply?

• Like 2

On 07/07/2020 at 22:16, RJS1977 said:

And if Hamilton did retire, I'm not sure Mercedes would want to take the risk of blooding two relatively new drivers at the same time.

That’s a big “if”, as I can’t see Hamilton quitting until he’s surpassed every previous record (titles, race wins, poles).

In the meantime, I’d reckon that Mercedes are keeping one eye on Ocon, among other options.  He’s been part of the Mercedes set up for a long time, having already proved a match for Perez (who himself could have found a better drive if he was more of a team player) and in Ricciardo has a high standard for comparison against, albeit within an uncompetitive team.  It’s another big “if”, but if Ocon could consistently out-perform Ricciardo (but I’ve yet to see it) then his stock could increase dramatically.

• Agree 2

53 minutes ago, EddieB said:

That’s a big “if”, as I can’t see Hamilton quitting until he’s surpassed every previous record (titles, race wins, poles).

In the meantime, I’d reckon that Mercedes are keeping one eye on Ocon, among other options.  He’s been part of the Mercedes set up for a long time, having already proved a match for Perez (who himself could have found a better drive if he was more of a team player) and in Ricciardo has a high standard for comparison against, albeit within an uncompetitive team.  It’s another big “if”, but if Ocon could consistently out-perform Ricciardo (but I’ve yet to see it) then his stock could increase dramatically.

Dont forget George Russell. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

Re my Post above, I don't think that Ferrari will be to impressed that SV shared a Radio Broadcast with a rival Team, when supposed to be in the Red Cars Bubble, and speculating about a Red Bull return as well.

To me that again looks like a plea to get pushed out very soon.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Controversial opinion - there should be a maximum number of years any driver regardless how succesful can stay in F1. As it stands we have drivers taking up seats who have been in F1 over a decade and young talent has had nowhere to go. The ladder is blocked. Think of what drivers we may have lost to formula E ....eughhh makes your skin creep.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I see Bottas and Leclerc nipped home to Monaco between Austrian races, and have been censured for being outside the respective team bubbles. Yes, social media pics gave the game away. But then Todt lui même has also been snapped in much closer contact with colleagues than recommended. 

This is unnatural behaviour for us all, but those who make millions from their sport might try a little harder. 

• Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Chrisr40 said:

Controversial opinion - there should be a maximum number of years any driver regardless how succesful can stay in F1. As it stands we have drivers taking up seats who have been in F1 over a decade and young talent has had nowhere to go. The ladder is blocked. Think of what drivers we may have lost to formula E ....eughhh makes your skin creep.

I don’t know about controversial but highly unlikely to change when the ‘names’ are so important to the brand image and sponsorship ;) 

Part of the problem for Lewis’ commission is that money has always been so important in getting places in motorsport. It’s always going to be highly selective with only the big teams able to afford driver academies. Getting noticed early in carting still requires quite a budget unless you start some sort of standard chassis series where people can just have a go for minimal hire charges. Lewis had the advantage there of a dedicated father who worked multiple jobs to give him the chance, many with talent won’t necessarily have parents with the belief, plus that determination on the path caused problems for quite a few years between Lewis and his father. 
Maybe a percentage tax on the drivers  salaries to assist so their level of success directly supports equality of grass roots opportunities? Obviously it’s not just F1 but all levels of professional motorsport that needs to be involved to get the international spread and funding. 

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

They’d be mad to take on Seb with his demands when Alex is so fast and knows he has to work hard not to upset the team! I think Alex has true future potential and seems to be able to handle the switch of ruthless vs team so well. In fact he seems to deal with the injustices better than several others even when clearly very emotional. No doubt he’s much cheaper too and there seem to be several driver lineups where the two are of high ability but genuinely seem to get on well unlike Ferrari ;) 

• Agree 6

3 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

...Maybe a percentage tax on the drivers  salaries to assist so their level of success directly supports equality of grass roots opportunities? Obviously it’s not just F1 but all levels of professional motorsport that needs to be involved to get the international spread and funding. 

That's strictly utopian: there's not the money in the world to truly make this happen, and frankly the world has far more serious problems to solve. One member of my extended family raced Damon Hill in kart series and regularly beat him, and he wasn't the only one who could do so! Where are you going to use the money?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Horner has just confirmed live on air that RB are very happy with their current driver pairing. Vettel is not wanted on voyage. 

We have only comparatively recently managed to wean Max out of the habit of crashing our cars. Alex is a current work in progress, so we certainly do not want the task of trying to teach an old dog new tricks.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

That's strictly utopian: there's not the money in the world to truly make this happen,

No because of the business side so it’s up to drivers and fans to make a demand if they want it ;) 

and frankly the world has far more serious problems to solve.

Yes but we are talking about money within the sport not Government support!

One member of my extended family raced Damon Hill in kart series and regularly beat him, and he wasn't the only one who could do so! Where are you going to use the money?

I didn’t say it will finance it all ;) That’s why I said there’s always an issue with the money side.  

4 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Part of the problem for Lewis’ commission is that money has always been so important in getting places in motorsport.

I only suggest that those few who showed talent, that currently loses out, might get something if the drivers want to contribute an extra towards such aims. 
I wasn’t suggesting it could fund everything but a budget capped series of identical machines that was supported by multiple avenues would show a good talent comparison. Beyond that you run into the political issues and business interests of those prepared to sponsor on their terms. A driver who was a genius wouldn’t get far at all if they weren’t prepared to do the pr drudgery. 
Watch Alex having ‘fun’ with that!

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Philj W - Those gpfans links you provide go nowhere for me, maybe others. I literally get a blank page every time. Perhaps membership is needed or a UK location.

Possibly a location issue.

The first article confirms RBR are happy with their current 2 drivers so do not want to sign Vettel for next season.

The second confirms Mugello hosting a GP this year, September 11-13, the week after Monza.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Chrisr40 said:

The drivers that no can no longer compete with the fastest do drop out in favour of new ones, although it's arguable that the process is a bit too gradual.

F1, in its hybrid form, presents a pretty big change from other formulae. Beyond the step-up in power, the cars behave differently to anything new drivers will be accustomed to. Having too many of them getting the hang of it at the same time might have unintended consequences. 

The earnings potential in F1 is such that, if they are good enough, we should see drivers coming through from FE in a season or two, just as they do from elsewhere.  However, they'll be coming from a single-power-source formula and facing a similar transition to that faced by those from the purely petrol-driven side.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

17 hours ago, Chrisr40 said:

Sorry, but no.  It’s up to the new generation to earn their drives by out-competing the old guard.  They also need the benchmark of past champions to prove themselves - as LeClerc amply demonstrated last season.

Otherwise you can get the situation where a championship win is down-graded because of a perceived weaker field.  At the risk of putting down a great driver and all-round decent bloke, that was suggested when Mikka Hakkinen won both his titles.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

Philj W - Those gpfans links you provide go nowhere for me, maybe others. I literally get a blank page every time. Perhaps membership is needed or a UK location.

Working for me??

Try this one:

https://www.gpfans.com/en/articles/54160/qualifying-under-threat-as-thunderstorms-forecast-in-austria/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, EddieB said:

Sorry, but no.  It’s up to the new generation to earn their drives by out-competing the old guard.  They also need the benchmark of past champions to prove themselves - as LeClerc amply demonstrated last season.

Otherwise you can get the situation where a championship win is down-graded because of a perceived weaker field.  At the risk of putting down a great driver and all-round decent bloke, that was suggested when Mikka Hakkinen won both his titles.

But how do they do that if they cant get in to F1 because there are no seats to let them show they are better than the old guard. I like Kimi and Alonso but I cant help feel they are there because they will sell lots of replica caps and t shirts.

Btw didn't Mika have to beat Schumi ? I wouldnt call that a weaker field.

Edited by Chrisr40

• RMweb Gold

FP2 is interesting. There is a fair chance of serious downpours tomorrow, to the extent that FP3 and Quali might be cancelled. Thus FP2 order might turn out to be the grid, and teams are putting successive new sets of softs on some cars, aiming for good times just in case that happens, and in any case believing softs will be of little use even if the sessions do run. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3