The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1, 2020

Andrew P

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

At least the race gave Christian Moaner the opportunity to start continue giving advice to LH about his driving. 

Suitably amended.

• Funny 6

28 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

I rather feel Merc not swapping their drivers about is a mark of confidence that they have the necessary to obtain the titles. And further that Bottas deserved to lead the race to the finish, he was in the position he earned.

They have said before that there will be no team orders, unless it becomes essential to secure either of the championships.  If Bottas can now outperform Hamilton, then he quite properly gets the title. If Merc stay in F1, they are going to want a proven championship capable driver for the moment when Hamilton's capability begins to decline or he retires. Nothing lasts forever...

I doubt VB can be regarded as a true No1. He goes missing too often if things go against him early on. He isn't a Vettel, Verstappen or Hamilton who can change races, drag poor cars to the front etc. When Hamilton retires, it will be a new generation charger that takes his place.

• Agree 4

5 minutes ago, black and decker boy said:

I doubt VB can be regarded as a true No1. He goes missing too often if things go against him early on. He isn't a Vettel, Verstappen or Hamilton ...

But then there's  the evidence - somehow he beat those two drivers in 2019. There's only his team mate to beat now. Holding the belief that it is possible is what is required, and every win will only add conviction.

In a car that is the class act in the field, there's a good chance that there won't be many of those adverse moments. I would rate him as very similar to Vettel, who could only win while in the class car of the field, and even then was clearly vulnerable to his head going down when things didn't go absolutely all his own way.

Not a Verstappen, that's a positive. (I can see MV ending up as another Alonso-like story, but without two F1 titles...)

Not a Hamilton, clearly, but then he doesn't necessarily need to be, while he has the best car.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It must be very hard standing alongside Hamilton and Verstappen in identical cars. A driver who’d be considered superb amongst their peers relegated by us experts to just a no.2 because they happen to be up against a rare talent? 
The mercurial nature of Hamilton is his weakness too, look how Rosberg unsettled him deliberately knowing it was his best chance. Schumacher played head games and if that didn’t work he would play bumper cars. Ayrton similarly could be brutal in response to Prost’s comments off track. 
I think they played fair to their drivers because they know Bottas will be a team player if required so he only gets treated as no.2 once the points are critical. To play the manufacturer card in the first race after this delay would be brutal even for Mercedes machine and I think they were savvy enough to let things happen. That gave Lando the chance to show a bit of magic and no doubt help their financial security too after recent events ;) 

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

12 hours ago, Classsix T said:

:sorry_mini:the order in which the website editor fancies the drivers?

"They did have masks on on like the podium but I deffo think I heard Bottas won. Sebastian is my fave and there was a guy in red, must've been him. I hope Danny was third, he's cute!"

C6T. 

By my reckoning, I think they've got the name of the race wrong as well - I'd understood that yesterday's race was the Austrian grand Prix, and next week's is the Styrian.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Well, an interesting beginning to the season?

Nice to see "The German " has continued his descent into grumpy mediocrity... Will he last the season or will Ferrari totally cut their losses and dump him asap?

Nice to see the "Young Guns" getting in the mix; more please...

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, iak said:

Well, an interesting beginning to the season?

Nice to see "The German " has continued his descent into grumpy mediocrity... Will he last the season or will Ferrari totally cut their losses and dump him asap?

Nice to see the "Young Guns" getting in the mix; more please...

Good summary. It was a smashing race, because some of the the young guns did indeed get their day in the sun, and the Mercedes were on the point, we are told, of self-destructing. It was when Bono told Lewis that "keep off the kerbs" included the red and white ones that we knew the team were serious. Will Mercedes magically fix the issue before the "Steiermark" event next weekend? It doesn't sound certain. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

On 26/06/2020 at 14:30, Andrew P said:

Such as, which bend and on which Lap Seb will stuff it?:D

Well I did say a couple of weeks ago, haha:no:

I don't think he will see the season out.

If he resigns he would loose a lot of money and that will hurt, but if he MOANS he might get replaced immediately, in which case they would probably still be honour bound to pay him for this year, so leaving anyway, and a nice little earner as well.:good:

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

32 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Well I did say a couple of weeks ago, haha:no:

I don't think he will see the season out.

If he resigns he would loose a lot of money and that will hurt, but if he MOANS he might get replaced immediately, in which case they would probably still be honour bound to pay him for this year, so leaving anyway, and a nice little earner as well.:good:

I think we are in for a changing of the guard. Lots of new exciting young drivers coming through and some current ones who are past their best or showing signs of declining...Kimi can stay though because he is a legend.

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

On 06/07/2020 at 17:07, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

But then there's  the evidence - somehow he beat those two drivers in 2019. There's only his team mate to beat now. Holding the belief that it is possible is what is required, and every win will only add conviction.

In a car that is the class act in the field, there's a good chance that there won't be many of those adverse moments. I would rate him as very similar to Vettel, who could only win while in the class car of the field, and even then was clearly vulnerable to his head going down when things didn't go absolutely all his own way.

Not a Verstappen, that's a positive. (I can see MV ending up as another Alonso-like story, but without two F1 titles...)

Not a Hamilton, clearly, but then he doesn't necessarily need to be, while he has the best car.

And if Hamilton did retire, I'm not sure Mercedes would want to take the risk of blooding two relatively new drivers at the same time. They know in Bottas they've got someone who's dependable, isn't going to do anything silly, and quite frankly could have been a champion himself by now if he hadn't had Hamilton as a team mate. There's always something to be said for having a more experienced driver who can give more feedback on the car and help to nurture the new driver.

• Like 2
  • Agree 6

The Alonso return looks to be happening, and I feel sorry for Renault and Ocon. He has caused trouble in every team, and quite frankly is well past his use by date. He will re place Vettel as the Whinger on the Grid in 2021.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, ianwales said:

Sorry Andrew that title belongs to Hamilton and has done for a while

Christian Horner has taken over as chief F1 whinger on behalf of Red Bull. Other drivers have been notable in being moaners (FA for example) but LH gets the spotlight if he complains.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Christian Horner has taken over as chief F1 whinger on behalf of Red Bull. Other drivers have been notable in being moaners (FA for example) but LH gets the spotlight if he complains.

Penalty for being so successful. He commands column inches like no other driver. Race (i.e. colour) may or may not be a factor. 

• Agree 7

16 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Penalty for being so successful. He commands column inches like no other driver. Race (i.e. colour) may or may not be a factor. 

And, He is still the greatest Racing Driver this Country has ever produced in terms of Poles, Wins and Championships. And before anyone says, yes but what about ……………. in a different era, YES, in my book they were all great and brave men, Championship or not.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Agree 10

This reminds me of the time Ferrari were retiring from a number of races owing to 'electrical problems'.

However in one race an engine let go in spectacular fashion. One of the TV crews went up to the Ferrari team principal and asked him "Was this another electrical problem?"

"Yes, the crankshaft broke and knocked the distributor cap off!"

• Like 1
  • Funny 8