Any model shops open boxing day?

meatloaf

2 hours ago, royaloak said:

Are they Christian (Religion not Wolmar ;)) Countries though?

I dont think anyone except essential staff should be working on Christmas or Boxing days, essential staff would have been aware they might have to work when they took the job on!

when I took my job on Christmas Day, Boxing Day was not required to work. It was a volunteer list if anyone was needed and that was just to keep loco batteries charged. Personally hell would need to freeze before I would work xmas. But there has been an increasing trend for trains to run Boxing Day,  This trend is driven by encouraging people to travel, its simple if shops are closed no need for trains or other transport mediums.

• RMweb Gold
On 25/12/2019 at 17:08, meatloaf said:

As title really, as I work at the post office there closed so a chance to visit a shop to spend my xmas cash. 

Are any open at all relatively close to stoke?

Well meatloaf, did you find one open yesterday? ;)

8 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Well meatloaf, did you find one open yesterday? ;)

I was beyond furious yesterday, couldn't find a single Post Office that was open - I needed to return all my unwanted presents back for a refund!

• Funny 8

I have to admit that I had erroneously assumed that those working on Boxing Day would get an enhanced rate of pay, something like time and a half, but it sounds as though that's not the case, or at least not for those working in retail.  I'm fortunate in that I have the whole week and a bit off, as my office building is locked up from late on Christmas Eve through the 2nd January.  Today was the first day that I left the house.  I really don't see the need for people to be out shopping on Boxing Day and if I owned a Model Shop (which I've no intention of doing), I certainly wouldn't be opening up for others.  Time at home chilling with the family should be the norm rather than what seems to be an exception.

I've got a couple of parcels sitting waiting for me to collect them from the sorting office (which was closed Christmas and Boxing Day), but they can wait.  I'll maybe head off to collect them tomorrow.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Well, we seem to have done Boxing Day to death, and the rights and wrongs of anything anyone in the retail trade does.

The next Holiday is almonst upon us, and if the retailers are closed , what are we going to do?

One thing which occurred to me, is that the Newark Toyfair & Swapmeet is on, not too far from Chez Smeeton.

https://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/events/19488-JandJFairsLtdToyfair

Is it worth a trip?

Or should I save my hard-earned for a trip to one of the said retailers, or an exhibition?

Any experience of Newark in past years would be welcome.

Regards

Ian

• Friendly/supportive 1

Maybe the topic of this thread should of been, why have bank and public holidays. When so many are forced to work or shops open for greed is there any purpose to having these holidays. Apart from essential staff it should be mandatory to shut shops on these days or pay staff so much that it's not viable to open shops. The only exception to this would be a one man band owner type of shop where he would make a decision to open or not. But how would people feel if these holidays were dispensed with and treated as a normal day. Rant over.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Andymsa said:

Maybe the topic of this thread should of been, why have bank and public holidays. When so many are forced to work or shops open for greed is there any purpose to having these holidays. Apart from essential staff it should be mandatory to shut shops on these days or pay staff so much that it's not viable to open shops. The only exception to this would be a one man band owner type of shop where he would make a decision to open or not. But how would people feel if these holidays were dispensed with and treated as a normal day. Rant over.

Arguably, ALL holidays should be dispensed with as they are in the USA. For all the concern over retail staff, those working on-line are expected to man the desks 24/7/365. Looking after an e-shop or forum isn't generally an essential service, but you listen to the screams and tantrums when they don't work.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

4 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

Arguably, ALL holidays should be dispensed with as they are in the USA. For all the concern over retail staff, those working on-line are expected to man the desks 24/7/365. Looking after an e-shop or forum isn't generally an essential service, but you listen to the screams and tantrums when they don't work.

Is not thanksgiving a holiday still in the USA ? I guess that's the problems these days that people's expectations are to high and demanding.

Edited by Andymsa

6 minutes ago, Andymsa said:

Is not thanksgiving a holiday still in the USA ? I guess that's the problems these days that people's expectations are to high and demanding.

It might be a holiday, but 25% of people don't get paid for it. Is not having to work every single day of the year too high and demanding an expectation? Maybe it is.

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, dibber25 said:

Now here's a radical thought - maybe all social media should be 'locked' on public holidays. It's the biggest time-waster ever invented, so an enforced break from it for everyone would surely be good? Runs for cover...... (CJL)

imagine not being able to order your Maccy D breakfast from your app, have it delivered by deliveroo, book a table on line at the local microbrewery pub and get an Uber to get you there then use the phone to order your food from the table and pay for it on the app too, you can’t check the train times on the phone and have to actually ask someone for directions to the station where you visit an over priced cafe to get a goats milk vegan chai latte with ethically sourced coffee beans in a reuseable cup with a paper straw before checking Facebook to see what your friends think of the TV show you want to watch on your smart tv before going on twitter and ranting that there wasn’t enough LGBT content in ‘the worlds most dangerous ice road lumberjacks deadly catches’ then retiring to bed, switching your heating down on the phone and asking alexa to play you calming music as you haven’t had enough time to trim your hipster beard that day and you feel offended that someone laughed at your rolled up jeans and crocs and shamed you on YouTube 

oh the horror

However for a similar experience I believe you could just move to the isle of white

Edited by big jim
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 6

• Administrators
36 minutes ago, dibber25 said:

maybe all social media should be 'locked' on public holidays

Fine by me, I've been keeping an eye on things here for 5406 days on the trot and I'm a bit tired. :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Fine by me, I've been keeping an eye on things here for 5406 days on the trot and I'm a bit tired. :rolleyes:

are you sure on those numbers, I am sure you went away for a week around 2010, when we had mod’s 1 through 6 to annoy instead?

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

1 hour ago, Andymsa said:

I work in road haulage, and we often get the option to work on most bank or public holidays - with the exceptions of Christmas Day, boxing day, and New Years Day - I would argue that with the technology and lifestyles of the early 21st Century, then bank holidays as distinct days should be dispensed with, and the days added to the legally protected holiday entitlement.
Days like Easter day, Christmas Eve and Christmas day should be fixed STATUTORY shut downs, and "New Years Day" should be either the Friday or Monday next to the 1st weekend of the new year.

As for people spending time with family, I'm in the position where I don't have any immediate family living with me, I see my mum one weekend each month, and speak to her every weekend, and my brothers live in other parts of the country, with their own lives and families, so we rarely all meet up anymore.
If I worked in retail or for an essential service, then I would be happy to be working over Christmas and New Year, and if that released a holiday slot for someone with a family, then all the better.

Given the state of the retail sector it is understandable retailers wanting to open when they expect a lot of potential customers being about. Maybe its time the retail sector looked again at their general opening times as there must be periods during a working week when the amount of footfall through the doors is limited and truncating the opening hours to compress that footfall would mitigate opening at other hours. While some traders in Harrogate benefited from custom during the cycling championships others had a little custom and social media is fall of complaints about the negative impact of the event. Yet beforehand retailers were strongly advised to change their opening times and open in the evenings, which as far as could tell none did. Similarly on the Sundays they stuck to their normal routine and promptly shut their doors just as crowds of people started passing through the town centre; it was  a bit like going to Wembley and finding the souvenir sellers outside the ground  had continued to try to sell their wares whilst the match was on but as soon as the final whistle they had packed up and gone  home

Edited by Butler Henderson

Fast forward to December 2020. 25th December is a Friday, so a Bank Holiday. The bank holiday for Boxing Day is Monday 28th. So what about Saturday 26th and Sunday 27th? Normal trading days. Are we going to name and shame Model Railway shops that don't open on 26th? Or those that do open on a Sunday but who choose to have a 4 day break?

• Funny 1