The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

You know you don't get much spare time when...

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, MJI said:

So B&W licence is not usable as there are no digital decoders which do luminance only.

You have to do it by phone or at the post office just for old time’s sake. You could probably sell it as an ‘experience day’ queuing for two hours . . . 

:mocking_mini:

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ236

1 hour ago, Metr0Land said:

Blind people don't need colour, just sound

True, but they also get half-price licences, for both black & white AND colour, for some reason. I suppose it could be for those that live with normal sighted folk.

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Mike Storey said:

True, but they also get half-price licences, for both black & white AND colour, for some reason. I suppose it could be for those that live with normal sighted folk.

Agreed but the posting about Herefordshire licences doesn't say what price they paid, just that they have them.  Another possibility is that they paid on DD and are now deceased and their affairs are in a total mess, so the DD continues?

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Metr0Land said:

Blind people don't need colour, just sound

But as before there are no monochrome digital decoders.

4 minutes ago, Metr0Land said:

Agreed but the posting about Herefordshire licences doesn't say what price they paid, just that they have them.  Another possibility is that they paid on DD and are now deceased and their affairs are in a total mess, so the DD continues?

Seems most likely to me

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, MJI said:

So their TV is not licenced.

All broadcasts are digital, so you need a digital receiver, they are al colour decoders, so require a colour licence.

So B&W licence is not usable as there are no digital decoders which do luminance only.

A good point - but that is what the Hereford paper was reporting and they must have got the stat from somewhere.

Well, the official government website still admits of the existence of B&W tellies:

"A TV Licence costs £154.50 (£52 for black and white TV sets) for both homes and businesses."

I'm only guessing here, but presumably you can still get an ancient B&W CRT telly to work by using a d-to-a convertor/processor and an amplifier to create a signal that it can digest. It might be that some communal housing, blocks of flats, old people's homes etc, actually has the necessary kit installed, dating from when cutover from a-to-d TV was in progress and they wanted to continue to supports user's analogue tellies.

PS: A quick Google found many d-to-a TV convertors available, at prices from £6 upwards, and confirmed my suspicion that some small area cable TV networks, like those in communal housing, did indeed have d-to-a convertors installed, and provided both forms of signal to users (presumably continuing to use the old cabling for analogue, with new for digital).

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On ‎30‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 23:24, The Stationmaster said:

I never really watched 'On the Buses' as one minute of it was more than enough for me.  The nearest I ever got to it was when the cast of a panto stayed in the guest house that I lodged at in Frome and the star of the show was Anna Karen (aka Olive in 'On the Buses'), they were a right noisy lot and she was the queen bee of the cast, weird.

I'll leave you with this little Wikipedia snippet:

"In 2006, Anna Karen (a.k.a. Olive) used her experience as a striptease dancer..."

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, polybear said:

I'll leave you with this little Wikipedia snippet:

"In 2006, Anna Karen (a.k.a. Olive) used her experience as a striptease dancer..."

How am I ever gonna unsee the image you've just created in my imagination?

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

I don't have a TV or a TV licence (they went with my late Mum when she moved into a care home) but just remembered that I have a B&W TV somewhere in the loft - it was a white spherical thing purchased around 1973/74 but hardly used after moving back to the Far East...…...

Keith

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 30/11/2019 at 21:24, woodenhead said:

Who remembers this

Cool show, lots of stuff to see if you watched it long enough.

I thought that was tales of the unexpected..

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, MJI said:

But as before there are no monochrome digital decoders.

Seems most likely to me

But there Digital to P.A.L. Decoders and some enthusiasts only have B&W display unit.. ( or so they claim)

• RMweb Premium

You know you don't get much spare time when.,

SWMBO meets you at the car, not waiting in the house..

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, TheQ said:

But there Digital to P.A.L. Decoders and some enthusiasts only have B&W display unit.. ( or so they claim)

I think NearHolmer may have it

I forgot those types of systems existed.

5 hours ago, Metr0Land said:

Another possibility is that they paid on DD and are now deceased and their affairs are in a total mess, so the DD continues?

Unlikely, for more than a few months. The bank account would be closed by relatives or executors (or frozen in the event of a prolonged probate).

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, TheQ said:

One of my neighbours build himself a TV out of an old oscilloscope a couple of years ago, but that would be black and green, not black and white.

Edited by Reorte
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
On 30/11/2019 at 15:36, AY Mod said:

Mrs Y is out, finished the jobs I want to do and think "I'll have a cup of tea and sit down and watch Grandstand", only to find it's not been on telly for 12 years. :huh:

and as for Jim’ll fix it.......

wonder whatever happened to that?

Edited by big jim