The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

You know you don't get much spare time when...

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Mrs Y is out, finished the jobs I want to do and think "I'll have a cup of tea and sit down and watch Grandstand", only to find it's not been on telly for 12 years. :huh:

My Scots cleaner and I are giggling about that - we had no idea it was off-air, either!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Mrs Y is out, finished the jobs I want to do and think "I'll have a cup of tea and sit down and watch Grandstand", only to find it's not been on telly for 12 years. :huh:

And they leave you alone in the house!

in case you're wondering "world of sport" is also off air.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

• Administrators
15 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

"world of sport" is also off air.

I'm not surprised, I met Dickie Davies whilst I was staying, Alan Partridge style, in a hotel in Norwich. He was one.

• Funny 1

2 hours ago, Mike Storey said:

In my similar years, I once caddied for Reg Varney. Put me off "On the Buses" for life (BTW, that too, has finished, Andy......).

Two minutes of "On The Buses" was enough to put anyone off "On The Buses", surely? 

Can't believe certain channels these days repeat that drivel endlessly. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

I never really watched 'On the Buses' as one minute of it was more than enough for me.  The nearest I ever got to it was when the cast of a panto stayed in the guest house that I lodged at in Frome and the star of the show was Anna Karen (aka Olive in 'On the Buses'), they were a right noisy lot and she was the queen bee of the cast, weird.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Not for everyone.

Last week's Hereford newspaper reported that there are still 21 people in Herefordshire with black and white TV licenses. Must have been a slow news week.

Presumably, everytime there is a knock on the door, they turn down the colour on the TV!

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Not for everyone.

Last week's Hereford newspaper reported that there are still 21 people in Herefordshire with black and white TV licenses. Must have been a slow news week.

They have electricity in Herefordshire?, wow.

I thought Wibble used batteries and accumulators!

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
On 30/11/2019 at 21:40, Joseph_Pestell said:

Not for everyone.

So their TV is not licenced.

All broadcasts are digital, so you need a digital receiver, they are al colour decoders, so require a colour licence.

So B&W licence is not usable as there are no digital decoders which do luminance only.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, MJI said:

So their TV is not licenced.

All broadcasts are digital, so you need a digital receiver, they are al colour decoders, so require a colour licence.

So B&W licence is not usable as there are no digital decoders which do luminance only.

So why are they issued?

• Agree 3