The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Film recommendations?

TT-Pete

Hi,

The OP was asking for films that were light hearted/entertaining.

So could I mention:

The Dish.

Starter for Ten.

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.

North by Northwest.

E.T.

Catch me if you can.

Men in Black.

This is Spinal Tap.

Regards

Nick

On 29/11/2019 at 18:54, Fenman said:

A couple from me:
- The Ladykillers (the original Ealing, not the awful Tom Hanks remake) - wickedly dark, and lovely King’s Cross steam action. 

- Bad Santa (the only seasonal film worth watching).

Paul

Ladykillers is still in a box somewhere after the last house move. Agreed on the Tom Hanks reprise (as per the utterly dreadful Steve Martin Clouseau). Bad Santa and Elf are now on the banned list from countless previous year's overexposure... :^)

Peter.

On 29/11/2019 at 19:06, Tim V said:

Harmless fun:

The Plank

I'm all right Jack

The Plank aaah, memories of childhood (and one of Dad's favourites) going on the list.

I'm all right jack - Hmm, although loving Peter Seller's range when it came to funny voices (Bluebottle) and accents, for some reason this one has always irritated me. (Terry-Thomas magnificent as always though);

On 29/11/2019 at 19:09, Andy Hayter said:

The Train - Burt Lancaster at his best and a lot of  railway interest - albeit French.  But short on laughs

Not Madame's cup of tea unfortunately, bit of a bridge too far...

On 29/11/2019 at 19:25, Ozexpatriate said:

For laughs: watch "Zero Hour" and "Airplane!" back to back. "Zero Hour" is the backbone of the plot for "Airplane!" along with the propeller sound and the instrument panel scene. To me it adds more context of the creative process the Zucker Brothers used to create the film. Some of "Airplane!" is a shot by shot remake of "Zero Hour".

Intruiging, I had no idea. I always thought Airplane to be a spoof/satire of the genre rather than a specific parody, will try that out.

On 29/11/2019 at 21:19, steve1 said:

The Runaway Bus.  A creaky old 1950s comedy with Frankie Howerd and Margaret Rutherford. Great fun!

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. The only Xmas film I will watch voluntarily.

steve

Runaway Bus - super, sounds like just the ticket, cheers!

National Lampoon - a couple of people have recommended this...

• Thanks 1

On 29/11/2019 at 22:04, New Haven Neil said:

The Commitments.   Sweary, funny, sad, and great music.

You would think,wouldn't you? Saw this whilst at Uni and loved it. Showed it to the wife (who is half-Irish) a couple of years ago and she just couldn't get on with it, ejected at about the 45 minute mark. (She was also really looking forward to Derry Girls, but halfway through episode 1 it became apparent that they had put all the good bits in the trailers...)

• RMweb Premium

'Finding your Feet' and the 'Shiny Shrimps' - both life affirming feel-good films. Also try 'A man called Ove', don't be put off by the premise of an old man wanting to die, it's a very funny film. I'd also recommend 'The Motorcycle Diaries', South America looks beautiful in this brilliant road movie/biopic of the early life of Che Guevara.

On 30/11/2019 at 20:25, MJI said:

We need more samples of what you do like. As I can name some odd foreign action and scifi films, and they can be funny.

Taxi is good, 2 OK, 3 rubbish, comedy action

District 9, sci fi but funny

How about animated films?

Hmm, it's not so much about what I like, it's more about anticipating what Madame will like... :^)

Taxi 1 is worth a try, but no-no to sci-fi (outings of my panoply of sci-fi DVDs are limited to "boy's late nites" when my son is down and after she has retired for the evening) and definitely a no-no to animated as an entire genre. (Although she did quite like Wall-E. But the likes of Howl's Moving Castle, Porco Rosso, Spirited Away will remain closed books...)

3 hours ago, TT-Pete said:

Hmm, it's not so much about what I like, it's more about anticipating what Madame will like... :^)

Taxi 1 is worth a try, but no-no to sci-fi (outings of my panoply of sci-fi DVDs are limited to "boy's late nites" when my son is down and after she has retired for the evening) and definitely a no-no to animated as an entire genre. (Although she did quite like Wall-E. But the likes of Howl's Moving Castle, Porco Rosso, Spirited Away will remain closed books...)

If she liked Wall-E, try Up. I find both rather moving, actually (I'm not a huge fan of Studio Ghibli, which I know some people absolutely love).

Paul

• Thanks 1

On 03/12/2019 at 04:15, Classsix T said:

You pick a film, she picks a film. That's how democracy works. 

You can tell I've never been married can't you?! 

C6T. 

I believe the way it works is . . . . .  she picks a film, you pick a film that she tells you you like, she picks a film, etc.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

On ‎03‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 08:24, TT-Pete said:

... it's not so much about what I like, it's more about anticipating what Madame will like...

It was an interesting discovery that my educated literary Mrs also enjoyed crash 'em and bash 'em. Currently leader of the pack, the rolling railway wheelsets onto the freeway segment of 'The Island'.

On ‎03‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 09:15, Classsix T said:

You pick a film, she picks a film. That's how democracy works. You can tell I've never been married can't you?! 

Watch, in this order:

Ten things I hate about you,

High Fidelity,

Pride and Prejudice.

Now you are fully up to speed, confused as the rest of us.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

It's difficult recommending films for people you don't really know.

I work in a charity shop and there is a persistent couple that asks me to recommend films, aged somewhere in the early 60s at a guess. Pretty sure they both a bit dense and the husband very henpecked as he never speaks up unless she prompts him.

"I want a good story with no swearing, sex, nudity, violence. I bought one last week and it was filthy"

"Plenty there on the shelves. Have a good browse"

They always come back with 15s and 18s. "You won't like those as they are adult movies. Try the Us, PGs or 12s"

"But we are adults"

:banghead:

This woman actually tried to buy Reservoir Dogs as she though it might be about dogs. I pretended to check the case and miraculously the DVD went missing.... :laugh:

I put them all in order. Kids films on the bottom where the kids can see them, ascending by rating to adult movies out of reach at the top. But you can't tell some people.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 3
  • Funny 2

3 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Gremlins is the answer.

Except for what happened to Kate's father! ;)

3 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

I also would have recommended Diehard as being a Christmas movie.

Yippie-ki-yay!

How about Die Hard 2 then?

Edited by Ozexpatriate

i agree with MJI about the Ghibli films, i still love watching them again and again

-spirited away

-howls moving castle

-laputa castle in the sky

-the wind rises

-whispers of the heart

-the cat returns

-porco rosso

-my neighbour totoro

other japanese animation i would recommend

-your name (kimi no wa)

-steam boy

elsewhere

-kelly's heroes

-fury

-bill & ted's exellent adventure

-bill & ted's bogus journey (sequal to the above)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

It's difficult recommending films for people you don't really know.

I work in a charity shop and there is a persistent couple that asks me to recommend films, aged somewhere in the early 60s at a guess. Pretty sure they both a bit dense and the husband very henpecked as he never speaks up unless she prompts him.

"I want a good story with no swearing, sex, nudity, violence. I bought one last week and it was filthy"

"Plenty there on the shelves. Have a good browse"

They always come back with 15s and 18s. "You won't like those as they are adult movies. Try the Us, PGs or 12s"

"But we are adults"

:banghead:

This woman actually tried to buy Reservoir Dogs as she though it might be about dogs. I pretended to check the case and miraculously the DVD went missing.... :laugh:

I put them all in order. Kids films on the bottom where the kids can see them, ascending by rating to adult movies out of reach at the top. But you can't tell some people.

Jason

They might have enjoyed it and laughed at Mr Pink

• Funny 1

3 hours ago, MJI said:

They might have enjoyed it and laughed at Mr Pink

Unfortunately (or fortunately) they often turn up when I'm not in. But that means the volunteers just sell them anything and then they come back and start mildly complaining to me and the other staff. I just tell them to pick another one. Not worth the hassle arguing with them. Harmless but slightly annoying.

I think they want things like Doris Day or Cary Grant movies. 1930s to 1960 usually found on afternoon TV films. But haven't worked out the ratings system. :lol:

Jason

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Steamport Southport said:

Unfortunately (or fortunately) they often turn up when I'm not in. But that means the volunteers just sell them anything and then they come back and start mildly complaining to me and the other staff. I just tell them to pick another one. Not worth the hassle arguing with them. Harmless but slightly annoying.

I think they want things like Doris Day or Cary Grant movies. 1930s to 1960 usually found on afternoon TV films. But haven't worked out the ratings system. :lol:

Jason

Sorry sticking to Scott, Ghibli and Tarantino stuff

• Funny 2