KR Models announce the Fell in OO and N.

AY Mod

17 hours ago, corsair said:

out of interest did any one mention about the fell loco to kr models at the show this weekend any responces please thanks 

The sample on display (EP) has been running on the rolling road for a very long time and performed flawelessly.

The green livery was in a satin / eggshell finish and looked lovely. That was the livery that was signed off and was expected to be delivered.

"Imagine our shock when...."

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, Holmesfeldian said:

The sample on display (EP) has been running on the rolling road for a very long time and performed flawelessly.

The green livery was in a satin / eggshell finish and looked lovely. That was the livery that was signed off and was expected to be delivered.

"Imagine our shock when...."

..... and the Chinese will continue to produce finishes which differ from the approved livery sample until an entire consignment is returned as unacceptable!

But then, we are assured that the factory ALWAYS produces what is approved.

CJI.

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

..... and the Chinese will continue to produce finishes which differ from the approved livery sample until an entire consignment is returned as unacceptable!

But then, we are assured that the factory ALWAYS produces what is approved.

CJI.

From my experience as long as proper processes are in place then yes they do produce what is unequivocally approved.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

Thought it was, I didn’t realise until a few years back that there used to be 2 curves at ambergate one with the station and an ‘avoider’ through to toadmore tunnel (the existing main line), it’s fascinating the railway round there! 

sorry for the thread diversion

Edited by big jim
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Graham_Muz said:

From my experience as long as proper processes are in place then yes they do produce what is unequivocally approved.

We must assume, therefore, that the gloss finish is as a result of poor / imprecise communication / specification; (unless advised to the contrary here, by KRM).

CJI.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

28CE1984-B2B2-4400-847D-6F346AF1D2AF.jpeg.3dc85bf506e2e4902e134de5510c9f15.jpegMy fell saga is over.

My missing black one arrived from Canada today, as a warranty repair, so no taxes to pay.

I did think though warranty repairs are supposed to be done by the manufacturer..

so far today ive:

1. Re attached fallen off lamp iron

2. re attached bonnet handrail

3. reattached one set of shoe gear

4. Re attached one axlebox cover

5. fixed 1 broken handrail

6. Straightened one bent coupling rod

7. Quartered one crank

its now in 1 piece and works.

A big sigh of relief thats over, am I ready togo on this journey again with DHP1, Leader, 4DD and Bellerophron… not just yet, I need to mentally adjust… but this Fell story for me is hopefully over.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

28CE1984-B2B2-4400-847D-6F346AF1D2AF.jpeg.3dc85bf506e2e4902e134de5510c9f15.jpegMy fell saga is over.

My missing black one arrived from Canada today, as a warranty repair, so no taxes to pay.

I did think though warranty repairs are supposed to be done by the manufacturer..

so far today ive:

1. Re attached fallen off lamp iron

2. re attached bonnet handrail

3. reattached one set of shoe gear

4. Re attached one axlebox cover

5. fixed 1 broken handrail

6. Straightened one bent coupling rod

7. Quartered one crank

its now in 1 piece and works.

A big sigh of relief thats over, am I ready togo on this journey again with DHP1, Leader, 4DD and Bellerophron… not just yet, I need to mentally adjust… but this Fell story for me is hopefully over.

If this had been a Bachmann or a Hornby model would you have kept it complete with broken bits???

Baz

Edited by Barry O

• RMweb Gold

Mine has been despatched from Canada today.  I did think they had landed in Felixstowe. Perhaps,I imagined that. I don’t think I will have to pay any import vat as it was UK vat paid on the original by instalment orders. I did notice lots of other people receiving theirs so emailed KR to enquire about mine. Got a reply quickly asking which sound variant I had ordered.  This was a very good question. I had paid by instalments for the sound fitted model but I have never received any request to specify which variant I wanted. So in reply to the new email I expressed my preference and that is what seems to be finally heading my way. 

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Barry O said:

If this had been a Bachmann or a Hornby model would you have kept it complete with broken bits???

Baz

Short answer:

Had I bought it from a UK company or retailer, 100% yes.

(i’m returning a stuttering loco this week as I speak back to the retailer I bought from)… new warranty is new warranty.

but…

Long answer:

40 years doing it myself i’m a bit self sufficient.

The Cranks was a leap of faith, but they are not tight on their axle, but they are not load bearing either so adjusting them wasnt hard (The drive is by gears). Ive quartered steam wheels many times, this is no different. One connecting rod was bent the combination of both was hurting it.

I observed the centre connecting rod has nearly 2mm of sideways slop in it, with two big oval holes for the crank pin!!! It easily moves side by side… i’ve not looked close but one to watch would be the rod sawing through the crank pins down the road.

If I had bought this from a retailer, yes it would have gone back.

The rest of it was just bits, as usual and were easy enough to refit.

But given a choice of returning it to Canada, more uncertainty and elongating my actually getting the model, risk of another shake down model coming back, and having no idea how supplies are.. I decided to do it myself… if I've invalidated the warranty so be it, as I’m not sure how good the warranty will be or if I want to push my luck trying...

to be fair, If I bought an EU or US model from their countries then i’d probably be in a similar situation without UK buyer protection.. that said spares processes are more well defined… and touch wood.. Ive not had an issue so far… but of course I would be knowingly buying a model that was not from a UK company, with KR ive no idea where i’m buying from… 

either way its done, it works.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3

I ran my DCC sound equipped one on our club layout on Sunday. Same problems with the pickups as some have reported. I'll have a go at adjusting them, but have in any case ordered a Stay Alive from Road and Rail. It does look good when it's going! A colleague had a DCC ready one along as well and his also has pickup problems...

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, corsair said:

probaly a daft question but the chap who is doing the put it right kit is looking for va compleatly knackard one or just the body shell to be able to make the kit at a reasonable price please 

As these are 'new' I doubt that one would be available (yet)

Myself and others I know who make after market parts purchase a model.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Barry O said:

Baz

I wanted this model but unfortunately as the thread progressed it became apparent that what was stated to be forthcoming was not going to happen.  It seems that after the "success" of the GT3 the Fell was rushed into production.  If not a "crowd funded" project would the end result have been more diligently researched and all the boxes ticked before the green light was given?

At least it seems that the manufacturer was "honest" in stating that although aware the CAD/tooling was not accurate they were happy to accept the Fell project with the known issues.  Will the promised changes to the other projects actually occur or will once again increased costs to correct the tooling outweigh the "need" for accuracy?  Every pound of crowdfunded money spent to correct issues is one pound less in profit.  If not done correctly then it is unlikely another manufacturer will release the model as the market will be satisfied (at least for those prepared to accept a less than accurate model and it seems that is most of us).