Class 37, by Accurascale

Really struggling not to order one of these before they sell out though can’t decide on which one.

Im currently building an 8x4 layout loosely based around Blackburn on the East Lanca line. As it was pretty much decline from the Beeching cuts to early 2000s, none of either green with full yellow ends, Dutch livery or the BR Blue would look out of place, though realise the Cockney Sparrow would stand out.

im not into ultra realistic running numbers etc so need to make a choice quickly before the choice is made for me!

Any advice / recommendations would be appreciated.

Edited by Austin Allegro
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, LMSfan72 said:

Decided she’d become 97303 Dave Berry…

37218 on shed awaiting Europheonix decals alongside 97303 who’s just come out of paint..

IMG_2460.jpeg.2560fa101dbe53ccdaf494d1666f5dc8.jpeg

37218 was a very simple removal of the DRS branding.

IMG_2462.jpeg.0b29da78428d8d33f102326a05a08bee.jpegIMG_2461.jpeg.722798edad175f008378bf60ddd52028.jpeg

97303 has had a chassis swap to get the fabricated bogies and the red buffer beams. Buffers need switching still. Custom printed ERTMS equipment has been fitted.

image.jpg.4d910d4a49969c0c2c039ce24003eeb5.jpg

Replaced the headlight with the different style slightly downward pointing one. New marker light surrounds printed and fitted to convert to LEDs. Tail light apertures modified for LEDs. The “patch” panel behind the full depth nose grills have been removed. 

Awesome job! One to go with 301 👍🏻

8 hours ago, Triumph1050 said:

For those of us who remove the couplings and add detail

Screen Shot 2024-09-12 at 16.44.42.png

Make sure you are adding the right detail though as 116 doesn’t have vac brake pipes anymore 

IMG_3302.png.2a10ce4c0acb6dce54d19fe99e42b090.png

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, MidlandRed said:

Combined with the incorrect omission of the frost grilles it’s all a little surprising. 

Yes shame about the headcode illumination but as I dont usually switch it on not a worry for me. 

Frost grilles should be in a bag… with my D6992 they were in with the works plates, with D6600 in a seperate bag.

I will be changing the speaker… not a fan of EMs in general, usually plenty of base but no top tenors 

Edited by Phil Bullock

2 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Yes shame about the headcode illumination but as I dont usually switch it on not a worry for me. 

Frost grilles should be in a bag… with my D6992 they were in with the works plates, with D6600 in a seperate bag.

I will be changing the speaker… not a fan of EMs in general, usually plenty of base but no top tenors 

Yep found my frost grilles as well 👍

• Like 2

So I have just received the magnificent 37422 and duly ran her in when she stopped the hi intensity headlight turned off marker lights stayed on but light both ends and red tails came on is this a new feature for run 2 as none of my run ones do this and I'm using annalog so this is a brill feature

• Friendly/supportive 1

Re. sound cutting out:

Mine arrived yesterday (BR green, yellow ends) superb looking model and runs so smoothly.

The sound did cut out once , so reduced the volume from 192 to 150 and this seem to have cured it, and still loud enough for me.

Looked at a couple of YouTube videos re. this problem, which they also resolved by reducing the volume. There were a few comments (see below) saying that this is just a quick fix and not the answer to the problem. 

Is this correct, any thoughts? 

"Accurascale either designed the PCB wrongly, with the speakers wired in parallel instead of in series, or at the factory they have installed the wrong impedance speakers. The sound cuts off because of the ESU decoder amplifier circuit protection kicking in. Even by lowering the volume via the CV value the problem could still eventually lead to decoder failure in the longer term due to the sustained electrical stress imposed by the wrong speaker setup/wiring. Beware if you buy one".

Edited by philsandy

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Simon63 said:

Hi Phil,

Which  speaker do you tend to replace the EM with?

Hi Simon

Will see what Richard Croft recommends although @Markn s recommendation of the ESU speaker is the second I have had in the last 24 hours … 

Will let you know! 

• Thanks 1

• Accurascale staff

In the first instance, always, if you are having any issue, get in touch. The PCBs are all ESU designed (indeed even carry their name) and are designed to work perfectly with the speakers and configuration of the loco. If you have a cut out get in touch and we can verify the speaker is the correct impedance for the latest lok5 and send you a free replacement if there is any issue. 

Edited by McC
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

1 minute ago, McC said:

In the first instance, always, if you are having any issue, get in touch. The PCBs are all ESU designed (indeed even carry their name) are are designed to work perfectly with the speakers and configuration of the loco. If you have a cut out get in touch and we can verify the speaker is the correct impedance for the latest lok5 and send you a free replacement if there is any issue. 

Not my experience of contacting Accurascale.

I reported two issues:

- sound cut out at start up. The solution was to reduce the volume not a speaker replacement. I enquired about the cause and have had no explanation. Same issue on two of the three I have. Run 1 and run 2.

- the loco rocks as it pulls away following a direction change. I've been promised Accurascale fix details. Should have been received at the end of last week. I'm still waiting. Any communication is initiated by me.

I am very disappointed with the service. 

What is more, I have received a request to give feedback on the model.

I have to say, it is a beautiful model but these couple of "niggles" take the a bit of the shine off the whole experience.

Bob

• Accurascale staff
4 minutes ago, RBAGE said:

Not my experience of contacting Accurascale.

I reported two issues:

- sound cut out at start up. The solution was to reduce the volume not a speaker replacement. I enquired about the cause and have had no explanation. Same issue on two of the three I have. Run 1 and run 2.

- the loco rocks as it pulls away following a direction change. I've been promised Accurascale fix details. Should have been received at the end of last week. I'm still waiting. Any communication is initiated by me.

I am very disappointed with the service. 

What is more, I have received a request to give feedback on the model.

I have to say, it is a beautiful model but these couple of "niggles" take the a bit of the shine off the whole experience.

Bob

Hi Bob

If your model has a cut out and all else is equal in terms of supported controller we will send you a replacement speaker. If that doesn’t resolve the cut out we are more than happy to take the model back under warranty and sort or replace. 

Otherwise if you are already dealing with the team that’s the absolute best option to get matters resolved to your satisfaction and if you feel unhappy just ask that the ticket is escalated to management. 

Edited by McC
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, spamcan61 said:

The cause and effect of the sound cutting out have been discussed multiple times in this thread already  do we really need to go over it yet again?

Yes.

Unless you want me to trawl through 370 pages. A comment that I made at the start of my recent post.

And by the way, I have also requested an explanation to Accurascale (direct) and got no response.

Edited by RBAGE
  • Agree 4

11 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

The search function works pretty well, you don't have to read every page.

But we are on run 2 - if similar issues are being reported on some locos along with incorrect impedance speakers possibly being fitted in the locos why should the issue not be mentioned again? Seems quite reasonable to me. 

• Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, MidlandRed said:

But we are on run 2 - if similar issues are being reported on some locos along with incorrect impedance speakers possibly being fitted in the locos why should the issue not be mentioned again? Seems quite reasonable to me. 

Thanks.

• Like 1

If loco's have been fitted with the wrong speaker then it needs reporting to Accurascale so they know if the factory need telling off. They can't do that if none of their data tells them that it's an issue or that there's only a very small number.

Complaining about it on a forum and making your own modifications isn't going to change that. You need to get onto Accurascale Support. 

I say all this as someone who works in IT Support. Accurascale's support people are not your enemy, they will want your issue fixed to your satisfaction just like you do.

They are undoubtedly busy after a delivery of so many locos. So, if you've had no response from them then be like a dog with a bone and chase them and chase them until you get an answer. If you don't like the answer then the worst thing you can do is go silent, tell them you're not happy. If they are able to help, they will.

I've only got good things to say about Accurascale support. They asked for information, I provided that information. They offered a resolution and when I asked for a timescale they provided one. My issue was resolved quickly and efficiently.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, MidlandRed said:

It's not that it's been mentioned again (assuming it's the same problem as run 1, if it isn't then I withdraw my previous comment) it's the need to have it explained all over again.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, LNERandBR said:

If loco's have been fitted with the wrong speaker then it needs reporting to Accurascale so they know if the factory need telling off. They can't do that if none of their data tells them that it's an issue or that there's only a very small number.

Complaining about it on a forum and making your own modifications isn't going to change that. You need to get onto Accurascale Support. 

I say all this as someone who works in IT Support. Accurascale's support people are not your enemy, they will want your issue fixed to your satisfaction just like you do.

They are undoubtedly busy after a delivery of so many locos. So, if you've had no response from them then be like a dog with a bone and chase them and chase them until you get an answer. If you don't like the answer then the worst thing you can do is go silent, tell them you're not happy. If they are able to help, they will.

I've only got good things to say about Accurascale support. They asked for information, I provided that information. They offered a resolution and when I asked for a timescale they provided one. My issue was resolved quickly and efficiently.

Totally agree (and I am also in IT support).