Class 37, by Accurascale

• RMweb Gold
On 23/08/2024 at 11:15, NickL2008 said:

Also, I did post further details about 37714 in my workbench thread along with a Bachmann 37 I am working in concurrently also.

Alas it doesn't seem to of generated much attention, but at least I've posted about the work on it in more detail there

NL

Unfortunately it seems to be a bit of a trend around the forum these days.  10

years ago the modelling sections of the forum were the busiest, now it seems to be the manufacturers section 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• Accurascale staff
1 minute ago, The Fatadder said:

Unfortunately it seems to be a bit of a trend around the forum these days.  10

years ago the modelling sections of the forum were the busiest, now it seems to be the manufacturers section 

Hi Rich,

Might be something for the DEMU forum to push hard on when it’s finally back up and running properly?

Cant wait to explore it when I get my login confirmed and its content from the last couple of years is restored. 

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Rich,

Might be something for the DEMU forum to push hard on when it’s finally back up and running properly?

Cant wait to explore it when I get my login confirmed and its content from the last couple of years is restored. 

Cheers!

Fran

That’s definitely the intention, ( I hope  have news on its successor soon.)

It does feel like the market has changed over the past few years with fewer people than ever prepared to modify the latest models, which makes it all the more pleasing to see the results of efforts like @cairnsroadworks 37s repainted into liveries that have not been offered yet.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

I was in DEMU for a year and the forum … was … dead … TBH.

However there’s less people willing to hack about £170 plus models , and to be fair you don’t need to do so much as in the lima days unless you want a specific livery * not released YET*

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

40 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

However there’s less people willing to hack about £170 plus models , and to be fair you don’t need to do so much as in the lima days unless you want a specific livery * not released YET*

Yeah there's definitely less interest in messing about with a £170 loco which is why we probably see less modelling going on. Still the modern locos are providing us with a better base to do better models... but pretty much all are still providing opportunities to improve and mess around with ;)

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, The Fatadder said:

That’s definitely the intention, ( I hope  have news on its successor soon.)

It does feel like the market has changed over the past few years with fewer people than ever prepared to modify the latest models, which makes it all the more pleasing to see the results of efforts like @cairnsroadworks 37s repainted into liveries that have not been offered yet.

I mean obviously @Accurascale Franspoils things by releasing multiple liveries at the same time 😂😂😂 

I all seriousness it’s great fun doing them, and I await with interest to see what overlap there is with run 3. I’ve tried to pick out a couple that won’t get done. We’ll see if I’ve achieved my aim or not soon enough. 

• Funny 3

7 hours ago, Cuthbert 80 said:

My wallet truly hates me cause I've spent waaaaay too much on model trains this year alone. Still...when I recently saw this Intercity Mainline Tractor...I weakened...once again. Not sure if he posts here but...credit to Scott at The Weathering Works who weathered this beautiful beast in such a filthy manner lol.

Looks right at home here on my diorama with RHTT duties!

Class37419-9.jpg.0c47095ba3cfdb2698a15512e1b0a480.jpg

Great weathering on that one in true RHTT condition, but credit too for the photography to get it looking so realistic. Your next challenge is more autumnal colours please 😂

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, rob D2 said:

The amount of detailing in modern models also, ironically, narrows down easy renumbering options. For the Scottish headline 37s for example, I think there are a couple of options but very little without needing to also do some surgery and then re-patching paint etc. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Cuthbert 80 said:

Thanks a lot Damo! I also appreciate the feedback about the clump of grass in the middle foreground. I should get something more realistic...or maybe get rid of it altogether 🤔

Sorry to trick you Rob! Cheers mate! 🫠

When is the weed-killing train due?

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• Accurascale staff
9 hours ago, dj_crisp said:

Yeah there's definitely less interest in messing about with a £170 loco which is why we probably see less modelling going on. Still the modern locos are providing us with a better base to do better models... but pretty much all are still providing opportunities to improve and mess around with ;)

Hi @dj_crisp,

Equally I’ve seen some “improvements” undertaken on RTR models (not just ours) that are to put it politely “interesting”. Having seen the craft and precision of the models being made by hand in the factory it can sometimes make you recoil a bit in horror! 

However, seeing them enhanced as per above really brings us joy as they’re elevated to a new level with expert weathering, renumbering etc.

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 7

15 hours ago, Damo666 said:

Serious question.

Is this a model or the real thing? The clump of grass middle-foreground doesn’t look right, but everything else has such a high degree of realism that I've nearly convinced myself that this is a real loco (& real location).

EDIT:

OK. Read the description again “…. here on my diorama ….

I was so mesmerised on the picture your text didn’t register.

All I can say is ‘WOW’. This is what I aspire to.

It is amazing. The way the rails have been “rusted” is so neat that it had me convinced it was real. Only after blowing the picture up to 400% on a 42" tele could I convince myself that it was a model. The aerial is a bit thick. 🤣

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

We have come a long way from the days of modelling magazines doing multi-part features on how to improve your models by adding wire handles / rails, buffer beam pipe work, correct buffer beams, flush glazing, new see-through grills, etc. Most articles now seem to be on weathering and scenery.

• Like 3

I used to be a member in around 2009, things were good back then. But it  did start to die down, things didn't help when a deal with one of the mods fell through and my membership wasn't renewed.

I can't speak for others, but my curiosity and desire to personalise models hasn't died down at all price withstanding and even with the detailing on models now it certainly has reduced the work needed, but no manufacturer has ever really gotten a model 100% correct when it comes to detailing and there will always be something that can be personalised.

3D printing has gained popularity, so detailing is still going but via a different method

NL

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, WCML100 said:

Hey guys, was wondering if anyone can help. I am looking at the potential to convert an Accurascale 37 to 37610 in 2014-2017 condition. 

From looking at what is available 37606 in DRS compass looks to be the best candidate for conversion as its very similar and already in the correct livery and also being a 37/6. From what I can see all that would need changing is adding the middle window on one side and removing the horn grilles on the noses at each end. However I am sure there is potentially more differences as these are very complex beasts! & I am by no means a 37 expert! Does anyone else know of any other differences ? For reference I am looking to model 37610 as per the photos below. Tia 

I have a Rails exclusive 37610 in it's later HNRC livery, which I bought with the intention of getting it re-sprayed back to it's 2014-17 Compass livery, but after seeing it in the flesh, I caved in and kept it safe in it's box.  I had every intention of keeping it but someone has now offered to buy it off me for what I paid for it.

15 hours ago, cairnsroadworks said:

Great weathering on that one in true RHTT condition, but credit too for the photography to get it looking so realistic. Your next challenge is more autumnal colours please 😂

Thank you kindly buddy! I was looking at a lot of your great work yesterday. I might be in touch soon once my pathetic looking bank balance looks a little less horrid.

You want more autumnal colours?! That's a tall order! 😅

10 hours ago, Bucoops said:

When is the weed-killing train due?

This is a good question mate. It's been getting out of hand in some places recently 😬

• Funny 3

6 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @dj_crisp,

Equally I’ve seen some “improvements” undertaken on RTR models (not just ours) that are to put it politely “interesting”. Having seen the craft and precision of the models being made by hand in the factory it can sometimes make you recoil a bit in horror! 

However, seeing them enhanced as per above really brings us joy as they’re elevated to a new level with expert weathering, renumbering etc.

Cheers!

Fran

Yes, some of the aftermarket parts - the grilles were coarser than what they replaced !

Bit like the MX5 I see round here with a ridiculous wing stuck on the back that a eurofighter would be proud of !

Edited by rob D2
  • Like 2
  • Funny 3

2 hours ago, Cuthbert 80 said:

Thank you kindly buddy! I was looking at a lot of your great work yesterday. I might be in touch soon once my pathetic looking bank balance looks a little less horrid.

You want more autumnal colours?! That's a tall order! 😅

This is a good question mate. It's been getting out of hand in some places recently 😬

Bank balances everyhwere are light thanks to Accurscale! ( in a good way?)

With your snowploughs, did the outer ploughs just plug into holes at the back of the bufferbeam? Ive got a spare set from 37714 that Im adding onto my Bachmann 37 as these do look better than the Heljan 47 ploughs ive added over the years

NL

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NickL2008 said:

With your snowploughs, did the outer ploughs just plug into holes at the back of the bufferbeam? Ive got a spare set from 37714 that Im adding onto my Bachmann 37 as these do look better than the Heljan 47 ploughs ive added over the years

NL

Hey Nick, I don't know the name of it exactly but the frame that holds the buffer beam has a small hole on each side on the bottom section...the snowploughs fit into these holes pointing upwards.

I'm not familiar with Bachmann 37's so you'd need to double check for placement.

Hope this helps somewhat!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, NickL2008 said:

NL

16 hours ago, Cuthbert 80 said:

Hey Nick, I don't know the name of it exactly but the frame that holds the buffer beam has a small hole on each side on the bottom section...the snowploughs fit into these holes pointing upwards.

I'm not familiar with Bachmann 37's so you'd need to double check for placement.

Hope this helps somewhat!

You very much can put Accurascale snowploughs on the Bachmann 37. 

On the Bachmann 37, for the central plough piece, you’ll have to remove the moulded central snowplough brackets either side of coupling hook and drill a couple of small holes.

image.png.021cccd546fee59d153634db20b178f3.png

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Good Morning, apologies if I may have missed something, the Accurascale website says that the latest batch of 37's have now arrived. I thought I saw a post saying that they weren't all arriving at the same time but in batches similar to the upcoming Class 31s.

Please can anyone advise if the Dutch & Colas examples have arrived or are they to come later? As said my apologies on advance if I've missed a post relating to this. Many thanks all. 

• Accurascale staff
36 minutes ago, vanbasher said:

Good Morning, apologies if I may have missed something, the Accurascale website says that the latest batch of 37's have now arrived. I thought I saw a post saying that they weren't all arriving at the same time but in batches similar to the upcoming Class 31s.

Please can anyone advise if the Dutch & Colas examples have arrived or are they to come later? As said my apologies on advance if I've missed a post relating to this. Many thanks all. 

They took a little longer than expected with the shipping delays but we have the entire run now at the warehouse (following on from the HTG exclusive and HN version in July)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, McC said:

They took a little longer than expected with the shipping delays but we have the entire run now at the warehouse (following on from the HTG exclusive and HN version in July)

Many, many thanks McC, I very much look forward to receiving my 2 then pretty soon. Keep up the beyond incredible work the whole team at A/S are doing. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 24/08/2024 at 20:37, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Rich,

Cheers!

Fran

Yes, I just joined and found the forum was down. It sounds like an invaluable resource and perfect for the more obscure/less popular kitbashes I fancy working on. A bit gutted I couldn’t make the showcase, not only were Accurascale there, but Shawplan too which is a bonus.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, 97406 said:

Yes, I just joined and found the forum was down. It sounds like an invaluable resource and perfect for the more obscure/less popular kitbashes I fancy working on. A bit gutted I couldn’t make the showcase, not only were Accurascale there, but Shawplan too which is a bonus.

O/T alert:

There is work going on to try and restore the DEMUforum - but also watch out for a new development shortly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1