Class 37, by Accurascale

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, BR Blue said:

I find it best to close my eyes when looking at the Loram livery and pretend it is not there.

I can’t think of any other naff 37 liveries in over 60 years of the class, so they’ve got away lightly.

• RMweb Gold

The Loram livery doesn't look so bad on the Mk2's and the 08 in my view, but doesn't work on the 37 at all.

I assume that means a high fidelity model of it is unlikely as there probably won't be a queue of customers, although as it operates with the yellow NR rolling stock fleet (which is popular with modellers) so maybe Accura will take a punt?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, ruggedpeak said:

The Loram livery doesn't look so bad on the Mk2's and the 08 in my view, but doesn't work on the 37 at all.

I assume that means a high fidelity model of it is unlikely as there probably won't be a queue of customers, although as it operates with the yellow NR rolling stock fleet (which is popular with modellers) so maybe Accura will take a punt?

The Lima 47 in Porterbrook livery was a hit despite being hideous to these eyes. Plus if you’re modelling the current scene then the Loram 37 is relevant, so there’ll be a market for it.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

If someone owns a loco and keeps it going then they have every right to paint it in whatever colour they like as long as the colours are compliant with any rail industry regulations and any restrictions, or otherwise, on advertising.  Whether or not we like the result really comes down to a matter I suppose of personal taste maybe influenced by what we are used to.  

But overall UK liveries still tend to be a bit mundane compared with the mobile billboard advertising devices you will find working trains in various places on the European mainland.

• Agree 10

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 97406 said:

I can’t think of any other naff 37 liveries in over 60 years of the class, so they’ve got away lightly.

Then this one came to me. I actually like this one slightly less than the Loram livery as I can’t make it look better by covering one end of the loco. An important lesson in how not to do Large Logo and a shame as the loco retained its bufferbeam skirts at that time. 🤪

BR Class 37s 37116 & 37052 on up Freightliner, Ipswich, 9th. May 1987.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, 97406 said:

Then this one came to me. I actually like this one slightly less than the Loram livery as I can’t make it look better by covering one end of the loco. An important lesson in how not to do Large Logo and a shame as the loco retained its bufferbeam skirts at that time. 🤪

BR Class 37s 37116 & 37052 on up Freightliner, Ipswich, 9th. May 1987.

If rumours are true, another one off in 37501 is about to ride again. Does that count as garish 😂

37501 and 37512 Foxlow Junction

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, cairnsroadworks said:

If rumours are true, another one off in 37501 is about to ride again. Does that count as garish 😂

37501 and 37512 Foxlow Junction

I quite liked that after they did the solebars in deeper blue. I even resprayed one in the style, though it is sidelined at the moment with the advent of the latest 37s. It will get its screens re-Shawplanned at some point.

DSCF0318.jpg.96b1cb369876bb57198073ffd6809551.jpg

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

If someone owns a loco and keeps it going then they have every right to paint it in whatever colour they like as long as the colours are compliant with any rail industry regulations and any restrictions, or otherwise, on advertising.  Whether or not we like the result really comes down to a matter I suppose of personal taste maybe influenced by what we are used to.  

i don’t recall anyone even hitting at the rights of the company and its decisions about chosen livery applied to their property. They can paint it in pink and turquoise dazzle camouflage for all I care. However I’d still be free to comment on the livery. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, farren said:

i don’t recall anyone even hitting at the rights of the company and its decisions about chosen livery applied to their property. They can paint it in pink and turquoise dazzle camouflage for all I care. However I’d still be free to comment on the livery. 

I love a bit of livery froth, especially the naff ones.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

Personally I think the Loram livery on the 37 would scale down to 4mm pretty well and look quite striking on the layout either with Caroline or a Network Rail train, hoping Accurascale do this one.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, taliesin said:

At Cambridge Station this morning                    IMG_2076.jpeg.6203dff93119e85d7390a84435862e3a.jpegIMG_2077.jpeg.4fb5cbb285b1e7abae58bf7bd790528a.jpegIMG_2078.jpeg.2bde16d587adf49151a99cb3361c686b.jpegIMG_2079.jpeg.7335d79b645de5b2c3c66201ef7a32cc.jpegIMG_2082.jpeg.95e5ef0e9b9b2e1c551a8525e6f1629c.jpeg

IMG_2081.jpeg

Looking at it again it looks like the Loram logo is wonky, it is not in parallel to the nameplate or the grills on the left. It rises slightly from left to right.

Important to note for anyone modelling it, although can't see if it is wonky on the other side.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, 97406 said:

The did not wash off as planned Police livery was pretty bad, but this Loram one certainly takes some beating.

• RMweb Premium

I like the Loram livery, would certainly buy one. And a police 37 whilst we’re at it. 

The deltic in Porterbrook livery was widely derided and hated, but sold so well it’s become the only loco (and possibly model) that Accurascale have ever rerun. (I have one of those too, and a Porterbrook 57. A Heljan 47 might join them soon). 

PS I absolutely despise BR blue and refuse to have any stock in it. Although I am buying a 37403 as it’s my local preserved one and I want to support the SRPS. 

PPS. I’m trying to persuade Accurascale to make 50017 in pseudo coronation red livery as well. That would be a definite add to the stable. 

🤪🤪

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, nightstar.train said:

I like the Loram livery, would certainly buy one. And a police 37 whilst we’re at it. 

The deltic in Porterbrook livery was widely derided and hated, but sold so well it’s become the only loco (and possibly model) that Accurascale have ever rerun. (I have one of those too, and a Porterbrook 57. A Heljan 47 might join them soon). 

PS I absolutely despise BR blue and refuse to have any stock in it. Although I am buying a 37403 as it’s my local preserved one and I want to support the SRPS. 

PPS. I’m trying to persuade Accurascale to make 50017 in pseudo coronation red livery as well. That would be a definite add to the stable. 

🤪🤪

Seconded. I secretly really like that new livery. It's growing on me. 

Would deffo buy one if Accurascale released one! 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, ruggedpeak said:

As its a current day livery, I'm sure it would be a popular choice. 

Rainbow Railways did a few repaints and they sold out very quickly, so they're doing some more.

• Like 3

Well that’s three sold ….

I'm more concerned about the English ,

Innovate. Maintain.whatever. whatever.

shouldn't they be commas ?

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

The did not wash off as planned Police livery was pretty bad, but this Loram one certainly takes some beating.

I forgot about that one too, so that makes a total of 3 naff liveries on the 37s during their long life. Not bad considering. 😀

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, nightstar.train said:

🤪🤪

I liked the purple Deltic a lot as the livery was applied in the style of 2 tone green rather than the random swathes of purple and light grey of the 47.

Growing up with BR blue and not much else, you learnt to live with it and enjoy the variety of traction, admittedly breathing a huge sigh of relief when the first large logo livery was outshopped followed by more ‘exotic’ styles. Having spangly liveries though never really made up for the loss of the 40s, Rats, Deltics, Peaks, Westerns, 31s, Roarers, Cans, etc. Apart from the odd 37 and 47 still on the network, and the mainline registered preserved diesels the modern scene doesn’t hold anywhere near much as interest to me now. A lot of this is down to what I grew up with and it also governs the period I choose to model.

Silencers on modern diesels are particular dislike of mine - how I miss the distant rumble from the comfort of my own back garden! 

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

10 hours ago, nightstar.train said:

I absolutely despise BR blue and refuse to have any stock in it.

Having grown up in the 70s BR blue just reminds me of filth and delay. It's also as dull as the country was. The newer liveries we have seen since BR was put out of its misery have certainly brightened things up. Your spot on regarding the Porterbrook livery. I've only one N scale loco - the Farish Porterbrook 47, bought purely because of the livery.

I'm sure an AS Loram 37 would be popular.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 97406 said:

Silencers on modern diesels are particular dislike of mine - how I miss the distant rumble from the comfort of my own back garden! 

You obviously don't live near the WCML then, you can hear class 68's on intermodals from miles away - especially in the night!

I appreciate that they are the exception to the point you were making... :) 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Mophead45143 said:

You obviously don't live near the WCML then, you can hear class 68's on intermodals from miles away - especially in the night!

I appreciate that they are the exception to the point you were making... :) 

I’ve been close to them in The Chilterns and I did like them going past. I live in Nottingham so it’s an endless supply of Ying Yings and 70s, along with modern multiple units. The Class 70 almost cuts it but it does need the volume turning up. CV63 I think! There are some 37s and 56s at Colwick, mind. Just need to pop over there and see how close I can get to them!

• Like 3