Class 37, by Accurascale

1 hour ago, Roy Langridge said:

I see your point, but it seems a bit “niche”. Who is going to keep remembering to make them sound? I would much rather nust turn them on and leave them on. 

Roy

not disagreeing… it’s something that should be on from start up IMO… but having the ability to have them ticking on a depot with the engine shut down for half an hour is something I could see someone wanting…

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, derekdoestrains said:

not disagreeing… it’s something that should be on from start up IMO… but having the ability to have them ticking on a depot with the engine shut down for half an hour is something I could see someone wanting…

I brought this up before a while back stating I would much rather have Spirax Valve control on F15 instead of Rail Joints which I would never use, so yes personally I would use Spirax Valves.

Anyway, solved it myself using my Lokprogrammer and just re-programmed the decoder and allocated F15 for Spirax Valve operation and yes understand not everyone can do this thus hinted to Accurascale maybe they should include it as per other manufacturers/third party sound projects but that didn't come about.

Interestingly, the Class 92 sound file has Spirax Valves on F15 but this has been omitted from the Class 66 sound file as per Class 37.

4 minutes ago, classy52 said:

I brought this up before a while back stating I would much rather have Spirax Valve control on F15 instead of Rail Joints which I would never use, so yes personally I would use Spirax Valves.

Anyway, solved it myself using my Lokprogrammer and just re-programmed the decoder and allocated F15 for Spirax Valve operation and yes understand not everyone can do this thus hinted to Accurascale maybe they should include it as per other manufacturers/third party sound projects but that didn't come about.

Interestingly, the Class 92 sound file has Spirax Valves on F15 but this has been omitted from the Class 66 sound file as per Class 37.

That's because Ian Bishop (Legomanbiffo) done the soundfile for the 92. Just to be able to put them on in a yard would be something.

1 minute ago, Melton Works said:

That's because Ian Bishop (Legomanbiffo) done the soundfile for the 92. Just to be able to put them on in a yard would be something.

Yes correct and forgot about that, but doesn't stop Accurascale from adding Spirax Valves on a function key to their own sound projects on other classes and would much rather have Spirax Valves than Rail Joints but that's just my personal taste....would be interested to know why Spirax has been omitted?

23 minutes ago, classy52 said:

Yes correct and forgot about that, but doesn't stop Accurascale from adding Spirax Valves on a function key to their own sound projects on other classes and would much rather have Spirax Valves than Rail Joints but that's just my personal taste....would be interested to know why Spirax has been omitted?

That was why I made the comment in the first place. Spirax Valves and compressor are 2 things I would like to see on function buttons. I'm not really fussed about rail joints either. I do like the accurathrash soundfile though. For everything else, Legomanbiffo.

• RMweb Gold

The sound of numerous spirax valves on otherwise silent locos is a sound i’ve long remembered when bunking otherwise empty stabling points on sundays of my youth.

its almost worth a project in its own right, a DCC chip / harness and speaker hidden under an inspection pit giving “shed” sounds… spirax valves, machine tools, a hammer, bad language, some form of vac cleaner, phone ringing that no one ever answers, an alarm,  climbing cab steps, distant doors closing, chains dragging, someone dropping something metallic, coupling shanks, air pipe release valves and other random noise.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

The sound of numerous spirax valves on otherwise silent locos is a sound i’ve long remembered when bunking otherwise empty stabling points on sundays of my youth.

its almost worth a project in its own right, a DCC chip / harness and speaker hidden under an inspection pit giving “shed” sounds… spirax valves, machine tools, a hammer, bad language, some form of vac cleaner, phone ringing that no one ever answers, an alarm,  climbing cab steps, distant doors closing, chains dragging, someone dropping something metallic, coupling shanks, air pipe release valves and other random noise.

"Oi, yew lot !!!"

Canton memories .............................

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

On 25/09/2024 at 10:05, Phil Bullock said:

It may not be the chip but rather the amount of inertia programmed in to the sound project. On a layout like Abbotswood I prefer to take stopping inertia off the sound project completely so that operators unfamiliar with the driving characteristics of each loco at least have a chance of stopping in the right place and avoiding a SPAD. 

Non prototypically sharp stops may result but that’s better than trying to demolish the buffer stops at the ends of the loops… 

Interesting. Not strictly related to Accurascale but I was trying to create a short video on my phone (in order to torture family members who are slow to run away). The idea was to bring 9402 (Bachmann) in from the left to a stop mid-screen, then 1500 (Rapido) in from the right and bring it to a stop so that the buffers of the two Panniers were lightly compressed. The contrast in performance characteristics was stark and made it difficult to do.

As Porcy Mane says, changing F numbers is a faff and it makes a mess of the manufacturer’s instruction sheet. It would be helpful if heads were put together a bit more. A feature as important as the brake needs to be the same F key on all locos. I have it on F2, F5 and F7 on different locos. It’s rather hard on the buffer stops.

• Agree 2

22 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

Interesting. Not strictly related to Accurascale but I was trying to create a short video on my phone (in order to torture family members who are slow to run away). The idea was to bring 9402 (Bachmann) in from the left to a stop mid-screen, then 1500 (Rapido) in from the right and bring it to a stop so that the buffers of the two Panniers were lightly compressed. The contrast in performance characteristics was stark and made it difficult to do.

As Porcy Mane says, changing F numbers is a faff and it makes a mess of the manufacturer’s instruction sheet. It would be helpful if heads were put together a bit more. A feature as important as the brake needs to be the same F key on all locos. I have it on F2, F5 and F7 on different locos. It’s rather hard on the buffer stops.

You have hit on the exact reasons I spend some time remapping functions on locomotives to bring them reasonably into line with each other, although the rules are a bit different for diesels, electrics, and steam.

Amongst others, for diesels I standardised on F2 for brakes (for ESU v4 and 5, and Zimo I add them in if they aren't already there), F3 and F4 for horns/whistles, F7 for compressor, F8 for drive lock, F10 for guard's whistle, F11 for flange squeal, F15 for spirax valves, F20 for tail lights (if separately worked), F21 for cab lights if fitted, and if there's a volume control, that gets put on F28.

For steam and electric, drive lock is rather pointless so never included. Steam drain cocks go on F7, safety valves on F8, and so on.

I do redraw the 'cheat sheets' for the functions to suit my remappings, in case I do have to look up any of the other, non-standard functions.

I have even remapped some Soundtraxx Econami UK diesel decoders so that F1 operates the sound mute rather than the US standard of F8. Some brands don't allow function remapping (Hornby HM7000, I'm looking at you!).

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SRman said:

16 minutes ago, SRman said:

You have hit on the exact reasons I spend some time remapping functions on locomotives to bring them reasonably into line with each other, although the rules are a bit different for diesels, electrics, and steam.

Amongst others, for diesels I standardised on F2 for brakes (for ESU v4 and 5, and Zimo I add them in if they aren't already there), F3 and F4 for horns/whistles, F7 for compressor, F8 for drive lock, F10 for guard's whistle, F11 for flange squeal, F15 for spirax valves, F20 for tail lights (if separately worked), F21 for cab lights if fitted, and if there's a volume control, that gets put on F28.

For steam and electric, drive lock is rather pointless so never included. Steam drain cocks go on F7, safety valves on F8, and so on.

I do redraw the 'cheat sheets' for the functions to suit my remappings, in case I do have to look up any of the other, non-standard functions.

I have even remapped some Soundtraxx Econami UK diesel decoders so that F1 operates the sound mute rather than the US standard of F8. Some brands don't allow function remapping (Hornby HM7000, I'm looking at you!).

I wonder if Accurascale or Rapido or even a not-yet-created model RCH would take you on working from home. Unlike you, I leave sound projects alone but I do create cheat sheets. That’s because exactly what a particular F key does isn’t always clear. For example, “whistle, long, short, long” is more helpful than “whistle 2”. I had to give up my Bachy DCC controller because I had filled two handsets. With so many sound locos, handy cheat sheets are important.

Edited by No Decorum
Duplicated quote.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 25/09/2024 at 10:35, Chris56057 said:

Hopefully the Batch 3 announcement is this week 👍

Fran and the team have enough on there plate at the moment unless the stork brought a list of what 37 it wants, give them a break,everything comes to those who wait......all ten might be your must have and you get a bill for thousands.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

45 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Fran and the team have enough on there plate at the moment unless the stork brought a list of what 37 it wants, give them a break,everything comes to those who wait......all ten might be your must have and you get a bill for thousands.

It was a friendly comment, no pressure or impatience intended.

Edited by Chris56057
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 25/09/2024 at 10:35, Chris56057 said:

Hopefully the Batch 3 announcement is this week 👍

i to hope they be announced, tho fran did say week or so back it be end of the month,  they either got / or waiting for the decorated samples

2 hours ago, The Meerkat said:

i to hope they be announced, tho fran did say week or so back it be end of the month,  they either got / or waiting for the decorated samples

don’t think Fran will be announcing much for a week or two :) 

maybe MrC could drop some careful hints :)

1 minute ago, derekdoestrains said:

don’t think Fran will be announcing much for a week or two :) 

maybe MrC could drop some careful hints :)

he hasn't gone on his holidays has he, we headed into winter sorta,   tho sunny Spain or south of France seems be hot lol,

maybe,  tho all we know is that towards or the end of the month,  im still enjoying the colas 37 so i can wait abit longer lol

21 hours ago, Southernman46 said:

"Oi, yew lot !!!"

Canton memories .............................

Precisely - preferably pre TOPS RSH built versions but if so, please sort out the headcode illumination for centre headcode display or 0000 headcodes - the centre two digits are not illuminated on batch 2 locos. (PS the requisite locos may well be Landore allocated…. especially if out based on the Central Wales line) 😀👍

• Friendly/supportive 1