Class 37, by Accurascale

42 minutes ago, dj_crisp said:

Yeah this one definitely needs seeing in person and there could be variability in finishes across the models as the paint does look thick on this example.

For me theres also a few other issues that are not down to paint. I look at the front end and think the nose curvature needs softening. The headlight looks a little odd which I think the light itself isn't circular (?) which could be distorting things. The headcode panel markers look more raised than they should be. Not sure about the bolts at the base either as they don't look that refined. Also the holes for the lamp brackets are quite large, I guess for ease of fitting, but for me that spoils the vary nice brackets themselves.

Then there's the fit of the windscreens which are near flush on the prototype and not on this model ( could be just this model) and I've never been sold on the overly fine top nose doors.

It can all be sorted though. And tbh many people won't be bothered about such things and be perfectly happy which is all good :)

Mine would be reworked into 203, so possibly can be reworked. Funnily enough the noses on that "other" 37 can be removed.. I wonder? 🤔 

NL

1 hour ago, dj_crisp said:

The headcode panel markers look more raised than they should be.

Yeah I agree with that. Thats probably the most prominent issue, apart from the high headlight. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, 97406 said:

There is a variance in the level of fit of the central windscreen piece between models and I’ve popped the moulding out and eased it on a couple of my models. I think the problem is caused by slight shrinkages and other random factors in the plastic itself when it’s moulded. I saw this with the 37/4 I backdated where the Shawplan windscreens fitted in the gap perfectly at one end but just wouldn’t go in at the other which meant I ended up using the back plates as well. Hopefully this area is being looked at for the next run as that’s the main area for me that could be improved on a model that is so much better than the competition in pretty much all other respects.

I'm also not sure of the rake back of the windscreens. Seems quite narrow at the top of the front side windows as it arcs away over the front, which would suggest they lean back too much leaving a thicker band around the top of cab windows. I haven't decided on which 37 to go for yet and clearly I'm not as sold as you are ;)

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, dj_crisp said:

I'm also not sure of the rake back of the windscreens. Seems quite narrow at the top of the front side windows as it arcs away over the front, which would suggest they lean back too much leaving a thicker band around the top of cab windows. I haven't decided on which 37 to go for yet and clearly I'm not as sold as you are ;)

I have a number examples of the latest 37s from both manufacturers, and compared to what went before, they are both excellent models. The rake is similar on both.

Viewed from above, the AS 37’s profile looks good a little like 3 sides of a 50p piece, and there are fold lines in the Shawplan etch to emulate this which I’ve used on all my 40s. The raised band around the top of the screens and the flushness of the inner piece are the areas I’d most like to see addressed, though. 

20 minutes ago, 97406 said:

I have a number examples of the latest 37s from both manufacturers, and compared to what went before, they are both excellent models. The rake is similar on both.

Viewed from above, the AS 37’s profile looks good a little like 3 sides of a 50p piece, and there are fold lines in the Shawplan etch to emulate this which I’ve used on all my 40s. The raised band around the top of the screens and the flushness of the inner piece are the areas I’d most like to see addressed, though. 

Yeah there's an opportunity to improve. The orange stripe on this nice flickr image helps illustrate where the front windscreen arcs away from the side.... sort of 3/4ish up the front side window

37258_10.9.90

Always felt the Accurascale one looks a little "laid back" in this area... I'll have a closer look when I see one in person. Could be the windows afterall

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, dj_crisp said:

Yeah there's an opportunity to improve. The orange stripe on this nice flickr image helps illustrate where the front windscreen arcs away from the side.... sort of 3/4ish up the front side window

37258_10.9.90

Always felt the Accurascale one looks a little "laid back" in this area... I'll have a closer look when I see one in person. Could be the windows afterall

I see what you mean there. There’s always this option which has given rise to perhaps the best 37 in my fleet.

• Like 1

• Accurascale staff
30 minutes ago, dj_crisp said:

Hi DJ Crisp,

This area matches the laser scan of a real 37 we undertook in the development of this model. We always appreciate constructive feedback, but please, it needs to be a tad more scientific than "I always felt" sometimes. A proper critique needs proper measurements and evidence, as the manufacturer takes many, many, many such things in creation of the model to begin with.

I don't mean to single you out on this, it is a symptom that can be seen across social media channels etc about any model out there. 

Cheers!

Fran  

Edited by Accurascale Fran
  • Like 5
  • Agree 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

29 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi DJ Crisp,

This area matches the laser scan of a real 37 we undertook in the development of this model. We always appreciate constructive feedback, but please, it needs to be a tad more scientific than "I always felt" sometimes. A proper critique needs proper measurements and evidence, as the manufacturer takes many, many, many such things in creation of the model to begin with.

I don't mean to single you out on this, it is a symptom that can be seen across social media channels etc about any model out there. 

Cheers!

Fran  

Hi Fran

Thanks! And no worries. I'm trying to put across a descriptive view rather something too scientific. I'd say the prototype photos do a better job which the one I linked from flickr shows.

Aren't all models laser scanned these days so wouldn't they all be the same from all manufacturers? ;)

Will

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, dj_crisp said:

Aren't all models laser scanned these days so wouldn't they all be the same from all manufacturers? ;)

Will

A point cloud is a long way from finished 3D CAD ;-)

Edited by spamcan61
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• Accurascale staff
1 hour ago, dj_crisp said:

Hi Fran

Thanks! And no worries. I'm trying to put across a descriptive view rather something too scientific. I'd say the prototype photos do a better job which the one I linked from flickr shows.

Will

Hi Will,

I believe not, in fact very few seem to be. I know we do, another couple of manufacturers do too, while some others have dismissed it as not necessary, publicly bleated about same, and their loco had some rather fundamental errors when it reached the market. Of course it's not a silver bullet, but in that particular instance I reckon it would've shown the rather fundamental errors straight away. But, each to their own. 

We swear by them as part of a process, but only one component of our extensive level of research. Drawings, 1000s of photographs from surveys etc with a trusty measuring stick over sometimes several members of the prototype (and we check for crash victims too!) and of course books etc are always used. 

1 hour ago, spamcan61 said:

A point cloud is a long way from finished 3D CAD ;-)

Hi @spamcan61,

This is absolutely correct, but it really acts as the best tracing paper you can get, and a brilliant way to check your CAD work to make sure you get it right. Laser scan does not = finished CAD, but it can verify works drawings and our 3D CAD which is exactly what we use it for. You set yourself up for a lot more chance of errors without one than with one in our opinion, which is why we will continue to use it.

Cheers!

Fran 

Edited by Accurascale Fran
  • Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, 97406 said:

I see what you mean there. There’s always this option which has given rise to perhaps the best 37 in my fleet.

Thanks. Sorry I got distracted reading about your 47s and rather nice 304

• Thanks 1

• Accurascale staff
2 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

My order status for D6956/92 says in tooling and decoration!!! 

Is the order mixed with other things? 

If not drop us a line, the status update system is one of the new things we're improving to enhance communication and visibility 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

11 minutes ago, dj_crisp said:

Thanks. Sorry I got distracted reading about your 47s and rather nice 304

Nice one. I gave up waiting for these guys to do the 304 so I though I’d better attend to it myself! 🙃

Edited by 97406

I’d have to agree a bit with DJ crisp . There are a lot of areas on the nose that don’t match the reality quite as closely as I would like when you closely compare . 99 % of folk won’t be too bothered and if I needed another Dutch 37 I prob would overlook them too .

IMG_0559.png.5b7d26359a08c80e750c7fbf34776b84.pngIMG_0558.png.e726bec0caf316d22bbd13ee49bfaa53.png

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

My accurathrash model of 37258 is now in my collection too having arrived safely in very decent packaging.

The model is superb to my eye, details are crisp enough, and dimensions and profiles portrayed perfectly well enough to more than satisfy me.

I have to mention how others have before me how well engineered the model is mechanically, weighing in at 689g, only 37g lighter than the AS66 I own which is the heaviest in my collection (137g heavier than a previous generation Bachmann 37, and 89g heavier than a current generation Bachmann 47 if anyone’s interested), and as with the 66 I own has absolutely silky smooth performance too, something that is incredibly important to me.

It’s currently putting a couple of hours graft in on my rolling road as she beds in, then it’ll be under the washes and airbrush for a bit of weathering.

Another very happy owner here, thanks guys.

IMG_2114.jpeg

IMG_2116.jpeg

IMG_2119.jpeg

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi DJ Crisp,

Cheers!

Fran  

Never mind Fran.  For what it's worth, the class 37 looks to me like ... a class 37. 

Nice job you and the team have done there.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, McC said:

Is the order mixed with other things? 

If not drop us a line, the status update system is one of the new things we're improving to enhance communication and visibility 

It wasn’t Fran …. Just the two 37s! But it’s now gone straight from a status of in tooling and decoration to shipped. 😀

Wow! Hopefully the new AS model delivery work flow….

But joking apart real-time model trains tells me they are booked LE 0Z21 to Churchdown MPD (Via DPD depot)

Yippee!! 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Here's 37140 stretching its legs on the layout. Looks ace! It will no doubt get weathered in due course, but for now I'm enjoying the rare sight of a pristine banger blue tractor.

IMG_01731.JPG.da81fea4c8cdaaa209251d36fbb347a3.JPG

Edited by 97406
  • Like 8

10 minutes ago, 97406 said:

Here's 37140 stretching its legs on the layout. It will no doubt get weathered in due course, but for now I'm enjoying the rare sight of a pristine banger blue tracktor.

IMG_01731.JPG.da81fea4c8cdaaa209251d36fbb347a3.JPG

That’s what I want….right there.

I missed out first time round so have signed up for an email regarding any spares, although if you could hold off until next week as I’m at the cricket on Friday, I’d be eternally grateful. 😄

Now run 3 you say…

Edited by IRC

• RMweb Gold
Just now, IRC said:

That’s what I want….right there.

I missed out first time round so have signed up for an email regarding any spares, although if you could hold off until next week as I’m at the cricket on Friday, I’d be eternally grateful.

Now run 3 you say…

Take your mobile with you and keep an eye out for the head's up!

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, 97406 said:

Take your mobile with you and keep an eye out for the head's up!

It seems, of late, phone reception at outdoor events has been abysmal, even for 5G. I’ve been to to a few concert venues, as well as cricket venues, and have struggled for reception every time.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1