Class 37, by Accurascale

Backtracking slightly, a while ago I reported that none of the stay-alive packs worked on my main lines powered by an NCE Power Pro 5 Amp system with a 15V 5 Amp laptop power supply. However, they all worked perfectly on the programming track (when on full track power) using an NCE Power Cab with the NCE <2 Amp power supply. I have been able to test any of the class 37s on the programming/test track, then lift it with sound and lights running up to the main running lines with no interruption, but not in the other direction.

I noted only recently that NCE do approve of power supplies up to 19V for the Power Pro system, so knowing that there is a fair voltage drop between the input and the output, I bought a 19V 4.5 Amp laptop supply and tested it on my system - no problems to report, with 12.8 Volts showing at the rails.

A very quick test with 37 609 on the main lines, powered up with the new supply, showed it did now have some capacitance. I really didn't give it long to charge up, so I can't report full capacity yet, but there is a good chance it does work better than the 2 seconds initially seen.

I have reported this success to Accurascale as well, as it may help some of their other customers (I hope).

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, SRman said:

with 12.8 Volts showing at the rails.

The voltage that ive seen @McC give is 14/16 volts but using powercab with DCCconcepts meter ive not seen anyware over 13 volts, there is the new aeigis from DCC concepts coming soon with the ability to up the track supply (4 settings) as its made to compliment powercab and go wireless, thanks for your investigation.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

One factor that might explain at least some of the difference in user experience with the sound is that speaker impedance - and we do need to consider impedance not resistance - can vary by a factor of 3 over the audio frequency range. So if the two different types of speaker have their minimum impedance at different frequencies the parallel impedance isn't going to be 2.66 ohms, it could well be higher, might even be lower. In addition we don't know what the tolerance is on the over current trip in the sound chip, might be 5% , might be 20%.

Some quite a bit of scope for variation there.

• Agree 2

20 hours ago, rob D2 said:

One thing is certain. When it comes to information and openness Hattons and accurascale are like yin and yang - remember how Hattons went comms silent after they started to have issues with the 66 ? Full of it , till the issues started then , nothing , not a dicky bird.

I have 2 31s on orders and I’m confident even if they blow up, the lads at accurascale will see me right !

If they do that’s the ultimate in realism, especially if they deposit a big oily streak down the side! 

• Funny 5

20 hours ago, rob D2 said:

One thing is certain. When it comes to information and openness Hattons and accurascale are like yin and yang - remember how Hattons went comms silent after they started to have issues with the 66 ? Full of it , till the issues started then , nothing , not a dicky bird.

thats why i never brought a hattons 66s and waited for the Bachmann ones,   you were left on your own which in my opinion wasnt the best decision by hattons

Accurascale is the complete opersit, they always on RmWebb and contact the support  which is great why  i have another 37 on pre order, deltics 66s etc also why i always prefer fix / repair over refund no matter how long it takes to get right,

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

24 minutes ago, The Meerkat said:

thats why i never brought a hattons 66s and waited for the Bachmann ones,   you were left on your own which in my opinion wasnt the best decision by hattons

Accurascale is the complete opersit, they always on RmWebb and contact the support  which is great why  i have another 37 on pre order, deltics 66s etc also why i always prefer fix / repair over refund no matter how long it takes to get right,

Yes, I think poor social media interaction is worse than none. The impression I got with hattons was they were in way over their head with the 66 which is why it’s best to hand it over to these pros to iron it out .

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 07/01/2024 at 07:36, hminh2005 said:

Do you know any link that shows images of class 37 loco types and shows the differences between them?

Thanks

This one is a good starting point...

https://www.class37.co.uk/

Pip Dunn's book "British Rail Main Line Locomotives Specification Guide" is a comprehensive guide to all BR diesel Locomotives detail differences.

Flickr is very useful when you've selected your loco.

Remember  these things have been around for 50+ years and things change; a lot.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Can confirm that Flickr is very useful, you need only type in a loco number and you'll find many photos from throughout its history. Adding a year or livery name can help narrow that down where needed.

Extremely useful for weathering. 

• Agree 4

7 minutes ago, wirey33 said:

This one is a good starting point...

https://www.class37.co.uk/

Pip Dunn's book "British Rail Main Line Locomotives Specification Guide" is a comprehensive guide to all BR diesel Locomotives detail differences.

Flickr is very useful when you've selected your loco.

Remember  these things have been around for 50+ years and things change; a lot.

even when new there would have been a fair few differences between them - different grilles from different builders, boiler panel differences, split/centre headcodes, fabricated/cast bogies, dual/vacuum braked

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, darrel said:

I see that 37409 has just been repainted into retro ScotRail livery. A nice easy target for the Accurascale guys. Go on you know you want to.......

Is it dry yet,give them a chance.

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold

I see its been renamed Loch Awe… perhaps that should have been “Shock and Awe”.

Its so simple its funny, but yet so obvious. I wonder why they never got Scotrail branding…? it was around from the very time the 37/4’s emerged.

The odd thing was besides 47461, only 47/7’s got it, yet several intercity 47’s recieved Scotrail branding with redstripe, and even when the 37’s went mainline livery.. they were still in Scotland… Scotrail definitely persisted, several sprinters, 101’s and mk2’s had Scotrail branding on Regional Railways stock too.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, darrel said:

I see that 37409 has just been repainted into retro ScotRail livery. A nice easy target for the Accurascale guys. Go on you know you want to.......

haven't even seen any photos of it yet!!!

• RMweb Gold

I'm currently tinkering with 37001. It's fitted with an ESU decoder ( non-sound) supplied by Accurascale and all the slide switches are as per specification for when loco is fitted with ESU decoder. 

I cannot get the lights to work, markerlights, headcodes, cab lights etc. 

Decoder seems okay. 

Swapping to a Dapol Imperium decoder and marker lights and headcodes will both illuminate in the direction of travel but no marker lights are showing to the rear. 

Anyone had these or similar issues ? 

I've trawled through but see nothing matching this on the thread. 

Rob

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Kaput said:

Oh well, after weeks of no issues my latest attempt at an Accura 37 is now doing the motor surging crap. Sigh.

Not good all this motor lark with these 37s 92s and 55s it’s just something that should’ve been checked in the manufacturing process to make sure the motors where all good and not going to fail like they seem to be doing 

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, GBRf 66 The Flying Dustman said:

Not good all this motor lark with these 37s 92s and 55s it’s just something that should’ve been checked in the manufacturing process to make sure the motors where all good and not going to fail like they seem to be doing 

I’m pretty sure they didn’t choose to put a faulty motor into the models, I also think they had assurances from manufacturers regarding quality and failure rates. It’s unfortunate, I’m sure they will learn from it, and in the meantime the customer service and 24/7 helpfulness of the AS team can help get things sorted.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 08/01/2024 at 15:22, NHY 581 said:

Swapping to a Dapol Imperium decoder and marker lights and headcodes will both illuminate in the direction of travel but no marker lights are showing to the rear. 

Anyone had these or similar issues ? 

I experienced the same problem with a Dapol Imperium, mentioned up thread. It also didn't physically fit very well. all cured by fitting one of the pre-prepared chips from Accurascale.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, BluenGreyAnorak said:

I experienced the same problem with a Dapol Imperium, mentioned up thread. It also didn't physically fit very well. all cured by fitting one of the pre-prepared chips from Accurascale.

Interesting as I've fitted the Accurascale ESU decoder and still having the same issues. I starting to think this is a fault. 

Rob

• RMweb Premium
On 08/01/2024 at 13:08, adb968008 said:

Its so simple its funny, but yet so obvious. I wonder why they never got Scotrail branding…? it was around from the very time the 37/4’s emerged.

The odd thing was besides 47461, only 47/7’s got it, yet several intercity 47’s recieved Scotrail branding with redstripe, and even when the 37’s went mainline livery.. they were still in Scotland… Scotrail definitely persisted, several sprinters, 101’s and mk2’s had Scotrail branding on Regional Railways stock too.

My understanding is that the 37/4s were considered as mixed traffic locos so a passenger livery (Scotrail) was not seen as appropriate.

Similarly for the 47s, they worked InterCity and Scotrail services so the red stripe and Scotrail branding was a compromise. 47461 was particularly odd as it started out ex-Crewe works with a red stripe and InterCity branding - wasn’t the Scotrail livery an unsanctioned depot job?

Coming back to DCC operation, I have a small layout and use Bachmann EZ Command, so no changing CVs or checking track voltage etc. I simply expect any DCC decoder to work as long as it is compatible with the loco. My Deltic - my only Accurascale loco so far awaiting 31135 (please) and a Class 50, has no problems so far.

• Informative/Useful 1