Class 37, by Accurascale

Module00 in his post about the brake and horn sounds is of course referring to the non-refurbished Class 37 sound files. The refurbished version brake sounds on the other hand I regard as very good. I also regard the refurbished sound files generally (with the possible exception of the start-up sequence) as better than the non-refurbished version - I hasten to add, just my own opinion of course. It is possible substantially to increase the sound level of the horns as with the individual sound files generally, although I've not yet found (I'm sure there must be a link somewhere) an updated version of the the ESU Loksound V5 manual which shows the revised higher maximum values for CV259 et cetera.

I've seen mention in other posts, but not a response, so I wonder if Fran or one of his colleagues can confirm if re-blows will be made available in due course for the first and second batch DCC Sound 37s (and the early separately available Class 37 decoders) in order for flange squeal to be enabled, or if there is a sequence of CV changes to achieve this. It may be of course that some other general improvements are also being planned to the already largely excellent sound files, the most important missing element in my humble opinion being the very prominent turbo whine on throttle back, especially on the refurbished locos, which is simply missing.

Sound quality, in the sense of reproduction, in many respects is down to the speakers used. Very slightly off topic, although in praise of the Accurathrash speaker, those who have the DCC sound version of Bachmann's latest 37 incarnation (for example 37430 Cwmbran) will know that the speakers fitted by Bachmann are simply not up to the job, which is a great shame as the sound files are very good. Yes, I know it's fitted with a Zimo decoder as opposed to the Loksound V5 in the Accurascale model, but I agree with 55020 and I'm not going to say anything to trigger an ESU v Zimo debate. However, I had to order a new PCB for mine (long story that I won't waste your time with here) and took the opportunity to modify it to take an Accurathrash speaker. Quite why Bachmann don't fit much better or more appropriate speakers is beyond me, as the difference with the Accurathrash speaker fitted is simply astonishing.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

DCC is not my scene but if you used the lasted 4 digits of a BR Class identifier numbered loco that will surely be a unique number.  This any Class 37 would have a 4 digit number starting with 7 then its unique 3 digit running number.

Obviously get more complex if diesel shunters are involved or steam outline models. 

But surely the two most numerous classes …. 37  and 47 … clash with that convention Mike? 

Better to use the proper pre TOPs 4 digit numbers…. 😉

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Agree 1

59 minutes ago, The Ghost of IKB said:

Off topic but just out of interest what dcc number did people use for APT-E? 

Not a number in sight to help with that one. I settled on 1523, for 152.3mph!

APT-E = 4973 for me

4 - kind of looks like the A

9 - backwards P (looks closer on the controller than here on text, and being dyslexic I do sometimes forget it’s even backwards 😅)

7 - decently close to the T

3 - backwards E

my normal numbering system is to drop the least important digits, so I try keep the the first 2 digits of the DCC address for the class, the 3rd for the sub class, and the 4th for the last digit on the loco. Where possible it’s 0’s that are discarded too. But it doesn’t always work, for example both 37 430 and 37 043 were going to get 3743 as the DCC address (dropping the 0’s has priority over subclass) but instead 37 043 has kept the 0 and dropped the 4 to become 3704 instead

theres probably more rules I have in my head for numbering but that’s pretty much the system I go for, any other rules are edge cases anyways

Edited by Bryn_Bach_Railway

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

But surely the two most numerous classes …. 37  and 47 … clash with that convention Mike? 

Better to use the proper pre TOPs 4 digit numbers…. 😉

You'd be a bit scuppered with classes 87, 56, 58, 59, 90, 91, 60, 92, 66......etc!

Also Class 76, 77, shunters, prototype diesels. That raises another question. What number should one use for the prototype Deltic, DP2, Falcon, Kestrel, etc. Goodness, what have we all started? 😁😃

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

I must say I used the last 4 digits for my DCC numbering and modelling in the late 90s period, actually the number of clashing loco identities is very few!
Most likely to clash are the 37s and 47s, however by that period most of the 47s left working are either low down 47/0s or way higher up in the number blocks and clear of most active 37s including the popular 37/4, 37/5s and 37/6s. Despite a big fleet the only clash I have to date is 37711 and 47711!

Bringing it back on topic, I am loving seeing these pics of the weathered Accurascale 37s! Just to whet the appetite for more, there is one undergoing transformation on my workbench right now 😜

• Like 2

Not sure it's been covered so far, but I've discovered that when you push a train (for example Caroline), there is no combination of settings that allow you to turn off the front lights but leave the taillights on. If someone knows of the function settings to do this with an Accurascale 37 then please let me know. The settings on a Bachmann 37 do allow you to turn the front headlights off and leave the taillights on. 

1 hour ago, Tony Walker said:

Not sure it's been covered so far, but I've discovered that when you push a train (for example Caroline), there is no combination of settings that allow you to turn off the front lights but leave the taillights on. If someone knows of the function settings to do this with an Accurascale 37 then please let me know. The settings on a Bachmann 37 do allow you to turn the front headlights off and leave the taillights on. 

Was trying to work that out with 37 402 the other day but couldn’t, closest I could get was no high intensity light lit up but still had the markers! (Which worked ok as the markers are pretty hard to see if their on or not unless you look straight at them) Hopefully someone has a proper solution.

21 hours ago, Moley48 said:

Absolutely love this Model Loco. It has been running perfect for the last couple of days but now it has developed a random surge of speed. I'm going to try the decoder reset in the hope that it makes everything OK again. 

Just an update - did a reset on the decoder and have ran the loco for over an hour so far. Super smooth and no large spikes on the ammeter. Strange how some ordinarily innocent CV tweaks might have caused an issue.  We only changed the start voltage to 2, lowered the volume to 90. Then I just changed the acceleration and deceleration values to something more our taste.

Edited by Moley48

No numbering technique would help me with my DCC clash - I fitted up 37423 in DRS and programmed but when I put on the track I found multiple trains moved. Further investigation found that I already have 37423 in IC Mainline livery from Vitrains. And 37423 in RF metals from Bachmann….

• Funny 3

1 minute ago, Matt said:

No numbering technique would help me with my DCC clash - I fitted up 37423 in DRS and programmed but when I put on the track I found multiple trains moved. Further investigation found that I already have 37423 in IC Mainline livery from Vitrains. And 37423 in RF metals from Bachmann….

Perfect example of the benefits of a descriptive DCC sytem - DR423  IC423  RF423

• Agree 2

11 hours ago, 55020 said:

That's purely a function of what Accurascale have recorded and given to us, it has nothing to do with ESU vs Zimo.  Although I suspect you know that, I want to head of the impending decoder manufacturer debate at the pass 😂

Steve

Hello, i have no doubt. Perhaps problem speakers… or files… i don’t know but I am disappointed. 

Edited by Module00

6 hours ago, tlm said:

Module00 in his post about the brake and horn sounds is of course referring to the non-refurbished Class 37 sound files. The refurbished version brake sounds on the other hand I regard as very good. I also regard the refurbished sound files generally (with the possible exception of the start-up sequence) as better than the non-refurbished version - I hasten to add, just my own opinion of course. It is possible substantially to increase the sound level of the horns as with the individual sound files generally, although I've not yet found (I'm sure there must be a link somewhere) an updated version of the the ESU Loksound V5 manual which shows the revised higher maximum values for CV259 et cetera.

I've seen mention in other posts, but not a response, so I wonder if Fran or one of his colleagues can confirm if re-blows will be made available in due course for the first and second batch DCC Sound 37s (and the early separately available Class 37 decoders) in order for flange squeal to be enabled, or if there is a sequence of CV changes to achieve this. It may be of course that some other general improvements are also being planned to the already largely excellent sound files, the most important missing element in my humble opinion being the very prominent turbo whine on throttle back, especially on the refurbished locos, which is simply missing.

Sound quality, in the sense of reproduction, in many respects is down to the speakers used. Very slightly off topic, although in praise of the Accurathrash speaker, those who have the DCC sound version of Bachmann's latest 37 incarnation (for example 37430 Cwmbran) will know that the speakers fitted by Bachmann are simply not up to the job, which is a great shame as the sound files are very good. Yes, I know it's fitted with a Zimo decoder as opposed to the Loksound V5 in the Accurascale model, but I agree with 55020 and I'm not going to say anything to trigger an ESU v Zimo debate. However, I had to order a new PCB for mine (long story that I won't waste your time with here) and took the opportunity to modify it to take an Accurathrash speaker. Quite why Bachmann don't fit much better or more appropriate speakers is beyond me, as the difference with the Accurathrash speaker fitted is simply astonishing.

Thank’s for your explanation. I have no problem with ESU and Zimo, it’s not my subject. I have really disappointed by the horn and brake sounds of the two locomotives I have, nothing more. 

Edited by Module00

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Matt said:

Depends on your DCC system - some use a descriptive system with  the address "in the background"

Roco and ESU for example.

I have a Multimaus on the yard on DL and it has 08632, 08417, 31233 and 73138 in the memory stack. (The four digit addresses can be used conventionally on the Lenz handsets)

It can also use alpha characters, so I could have "Yellow 08" for example. [*]

The ESU ECoS and Roco Z21 systems can also use images of the loco.

The Hornby HM7000 is also capable of image use, but I've yet to find out how it will work in conventional DCC control mode via the legacy dongle to an Xpressnet system - when it is released.

Getting back on-topic.

[*] Although "yellow 97" will cover three locos when my 97301 arrives..... hopefully not too far away now.

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 19/05/2023 at 11:23, LMSfan72 said:

I have re-programmed mine to do the following:

F0 only lights End1 and is the master light switch

F6 is the light engine mode so with that and F0 I light both ends

F18 with F0 on toggles the lit end from End1 to End2

F19 combines instrument panel lights and night headlights (if fitted)

F20 turns the cab lights off (they are normally on but only illuminted when stopped)

F22 is now a shunting mode (Markers - incl top if fitted -  and tails lit both ends irrespective of direction)

F23 is depot lights so no headlights but it does include top marker if fitted

F26 is now parking lights - lights tails both ends if stationary

image.png.c877cb606f685a20ad40bde071223101.png

This is now perfect for push-pull operations either with DBSO/RTOV or top tail and I don't need orientate the loco specifically as I can just toggle the lit end....

for those looking at pushing Caroline….

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Tony Walker said:

Just reposted what I did above - using either a lokprogrammer or JMRI. I haven’t tried comparing CVs as I think it would be very complex!

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, The Ghost of IKB said:

Off topic but just out of interest what dcc number did people use for APT-E? 

Not a number in sight to help with that one. I settled on 1523, for 152.3mph!

I used 369 on the basis that the APT-P was 370 and the E train was before it. Disregarding any guidance on it not being a conventional EMU of course.

Neil.

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, 97406 said:

You'd be a bit scuppered with classes 87, 56, 58, 59, 90, 91, 60, 92, 66......etc!

Also Class 76, 77, shunters, prototype diesels. That raises another question. What number should one use for the prototype Deltic, DP2, Falcon, Kestrel, etc. Goodness, what have we all started? 😁😃

But I don’t allow any of those on my post 1968 pre TOPS layout! 😉

A more relevant clash for us is when we get the time machine out and lurch back to the early 60s and those lovely Castles appear … 7007 Great Western or D7007? 

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, newbryford said:

Depends on your DCC system - some use a descriptive system with  the address "in the background"

Roco and ESU for example.

I have a Multimaus on the yard on DL and it has 08632, 08417, 31233 and 73138 in the memory stack. (The four digit addresses can be used conventionally on the Lenz handsets)

It can also use alpha characters, so I could have "Yellow 08" for example. [*]

The ESU ECoS and Roco Z21 systems can also use images of the loco.

The Hornby HM7000 is also capable of image use, but I've yet to find out how it will work in conventional DCC control mode via the legacy dongle to an Xpressnet system - when it is released.

Getting back on-topic.

[*] Although "yellow 97" will cover three locos when my 97301 arrives..... hopefully not too far away now.

The description does help on ECoS although it plays no part in the way locos are listed or searched for … both use the chip address.

We really do need 5 digit alpha-numeric addresses! 

Edited by Phil Bullock

17 hours ago, 97406 said:

For Deltic (DP1) and DP2, I came up with the numeric positions of the letters in the alphabet, so D = 4, P = 16, thus DP1 is 4161 and DP2 is 4162.

Falcon, Lion and Kestrel are easier as they all bear numbers anyway, D0280, D0260, and HS4000, thus they become DCC addresses 280, 260 and 4000, respectively.

Edited by SRman
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

The description does help on ECoS although it plays no part in the way locos are listed or searched for … both use the chip address.

On the "Select" page on the ECoS controller you can sort by the name (I tend to do this) in addition to the numeric address. I do find the name much more useful - though it does depend on you sticking to some kind of formatting to find things. Along with the ability to filter by steam/diesel/electric and use the different list numbers you end up with a reasonable choice of filters.

• Agree 1