Class 37, by Accurascale

• RMweb Premium

Accurathrash speakers are back in stock... ...go go go!

https://www.accurascale.com/collections/dcc-decoders-and-accessories/products/accurathrash-dcc-sound-speaker-pack-of-1

Need the clips (prefer this to black tack) but getting there, though will also need the firmware update too so will be another couple of weeks or so for 37027 to be firing on all cylinders.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Wayne 56089 said:

Started dispatching Large Logo ones yesterday morning according to a reply from Accurascale on a Facebook comment. 

Really looking forward to 402. 

043 is the first Accurascale loco I ordered in April 2020, so I’ll be near the front of the queue, which is nice. I have a week off and rubbish weather forecasted, so I can spend time indoors fettling it.

Edited by 97406
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 97406 said:

043 is the first Accurascale loco I ordered in April 2020, so I’ll be near the front of the queue, which is nice. I have a week off and rubbish weather forecasted, so I can spend time indoors fettling it.

Behind me Sir. Paid for Jan 2020! 😉

Roy

• Like 4

On 18/07/2023 at 20:25, Phil Bullock said:

Don’t recall seeing a photo of a loco with a lamp on the WR irons though….

Will tail lamps do?

https://flic.kr/p/2e3ffb2

There's plenty more examples.

When the Welsh  type 3's began to be transferred to the N.E. in the mid sixties they initially kept their standard GWR lamp irons.

D6820-Catchgate-GT-DBT-LironsPwDcollection.jpg.2ad3ba791e8bac77087632630fc65c94.jpg

As said above as time permitted and after heating to cherry red. the irons where "clinked ower" through 90 degrees with a big hammer to accept standard lamps.

49424834882_b219c22ae3_b.jpgEnglish Electric Type 3 D6819 by Tony Lambert, on Flickr

Then the original irons were burnt off, leaving a witness mound if the burner couldn't be ar$ed to grind the remaining stub flush.  I've also seen picks of NE "welsh" 37's with all four brackets but cannot find my references at the mo.

5978806515_5cb155458d_b.jpgClass 37 at Pelaw June 1967 by Chris, on Flickr

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 10

• Accurascale staff
11 minutes ago, 97406 said:

You’ll have to let us know when it’s despatched.

About an hour ago :) 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Porcy Mane said:

Will tail lamps do?

https://flic.kr/p/2e3ffb2

There's plenty more examples.

When the Welsh  type 3's began to be transferred to the N.E. in the mid sixties they initially kept their standard GWR lamp irons.

D6820-Catchgate-GT-DBT-LironsPwDcollection.jpg.2ad3ba791e8bac77087632630fc65c94.jpg

As said above as time permitted and after heating to cherry red. the irons where "clinked ower" through 90 degrees with a big hammer to accept standard lamps.

49424834882_b219c22ae3_b.jpgEnglish Electric Type 3 D6819 by Tony Lambert, on Flickr

Then the original irons were burnt off, leaving a witness mound if the burner couldn't be ar$ed to grind the remaining stub flush.  I've also seen picks of NE "welsh" 37's with all four brackets but cannot find my references at the mo.

5978806515_5cb155458d_b.jpgClass 37 at Pelaw June 1967 by Chris, on Flickr

Very nice sequence there thanks for sharing! Was “clinking over” an NE speciality I wonder? 

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Agree 1

45 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

Was “clinking over” an NE speciality I wonder? 

Both to the left and right looking through my photos. A lot of pioneering railway talent up here in the Nether Region.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, 97406 said:

Just had the mail. Definitely my favourite livery on them by far. 

Likewise! It'll be my first experience of the full tractor thrash experience. Can't wait to give the hall sensors a go too!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, E100 said:

Likewise! It'll be my first experience of the full tractor thrash experience. Can't wait to give the hall sensors a go too!

I got a Loch Eil with sound. It’s truly great, and often gets used with the track cleaning wagon so I can thrash it up and down the layout a number of times. I also have a sound equipped 419 which is also good, but could do with being backdated into late 80s guise ideally. The sound may just end up in the HTG Tractor I have on order.

• Like 3

On 19/07/2023 at 12:55, apollo 079 said:

Interestingly (well I think so) only locos from this batch onward were converted to 37/4s whilst only locos numbered before 37259 were refurbished as 37/5, 37/7 or 37/9. Does anyone know why?

The last 60 class 37's had different electrics to the previous 259 and the donor locos for the 37/4's were deliberately chosen from this batch.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

8 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Dont recall seeing altered WR lamp irons on 37s …. Standard lamp irons were usually added lower down , either 1 or 2 . Some locos eg 6844 in Scotland had a full set of everything… 2 WR headboard clips, 2 WR lamp irons and 2 BR lamp irons. There’s just no pattern to it! See Brush Veterans wonderful album

Brush veterans EE3 photos on Flickr

Thanks @Phil Bullock - yet another modification on some locos!! Thankfully the ones I’ve ordered from Accurascale (D6600 and D699x) were WR up to a point past the era I’m after (1967-9)!! Not sure if they’d been ‘molested’ by then…. hopefully not! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Its official,i have had the e mail...........

Items in this shipment

37402 "Stephen Middlemore" × 1
DCC Sound Fitted

Hopefully I’ll get my email shortly 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, MidlandRed said:

Thanks @Phil Bullock - yet another modification on some locos!! Thankfully the ones I’ve ordered from Accurascale (D6600 and D699x) were WR up to a point past the era I’m after (1967-9)!! Not sure if they’d been ‘molested’ by then…. hopefully not! 

Even the WR ones got molested ! Take a look at 6885 for example in that Brush Veteran collection on Flickr …. 4 years apart admittedly but very different fittings on either end! And not a WR lamp bracket in sight

6885 A end May 73

6885 B end Sept 69

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Even the WR ones got molested ! Take a look at 6885 for example in that Brush Veteran collection on Flickr …. 4 years apart admittedly but very different fittings on either end! And not a WR lamp bracket in sight

6885 A end May 73

6885 B end Sept 69

Presumably the reason for it was that (G)WR pattern loco lamps gradually ceased to be available/repaired so brackets had to be provided to take an ordinary tail lamp (or a Bardic Lamp should one have to be used).  We definitely didn't have any WP pattern loco lamps in our stores in 1974 but ordinary tail lamps were very much a stock item.

And the original Western pattern high level lamp brackets must have been a nuisance to get to which might also have prompted the change?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

37043 has just arrived. Very nice indeed. No serious issues at all but do need to try it on the rolling road first.

Only tiny things are:

1. Just a tiny bit of lost paint from the handrails on the lift out section. Nothing a bit of weathering won't hide.

2. A very small mark on one of the double arrows. Again probably done my job for me with the weathering so a none issue for me.

3. My engine room lights are visible through the glazing when looking side on. I will investigate this when I get back from a long weekend as this isn't the case with 37027 and feels like the PCB has somehow moved down slightly further than it should have.

4. The lighter roof isn't quite as kind as 37027 to the lift out section with it being ever so slightly more visible (and by that I mean just can actually only just make out a slightly darker gap with my glasses cleaned especially for the occasion :P)

That's it. The detail is just outstanding, especially around the underframe. Really great job again chaps.