Class 37, by Accurascale

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, GordonC said:

Working fans are neither here nor there, they're only visible from a very limited viewing angle and I cant see what all the fuss is about. Is the rotation speed going to be measured and complained about next?

Given that some people on this thread get hot under the collar about whether or not their particular '37 had an Ariel plonked on the top of the nose , I'd say some might disagree with your view as entitled as you are are to hold it . 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Ruairidh Munro said:

I'm not sure what a popular brand of washing powder (Ariel) has to do with working or non working fans on a class 37 model, but I guss it might be something to do with the aerial.

Sorry, I'll get my coat ... 😉

Thats the fella !

• Like 2

5 hours ago, GordonC said:

Working fans are neither here nor there, they're only visible from a very limited viewing angle and I cant see what all the fuss is about. Is the rotation speed going to be measured and complained about next?

As I recall, there was some satisfaction expressed when servo-driven fans linked to the appropriate sound were produced. They were greeted as a great improvement over the Hornby fans which were driven by an elastic band (sorry, drive belt) from the main motor.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Ruairidh Munro said:

I'm not sure what a popular brand of washing powder (Ariel) has to do with working or non working fans on a class 37 model, but I guss it might be something to do with the aerial.

Sorry, I'll get my coat ... 😉

And who is "guss"?

Always a good idea to spell check before engaging ' pedant mode'. 

On the subject of working fans, just a couple of observations.

Firstly, if they are done right, as opposed to Hornby's rubber band efforts, then they (IMO) have to be a good thing, as the move to high quality sound installations has been compared with some of the poor efforts inflicted on us previously by the likes of Hornby and Bachmann.  Innovators like SLW and Accura have come along and set the pace, prompting the bigger companies to also raise their game, or so it seems. Quality working fans will become expected as time goes on and more models come to market.

I personally dont take much notice of complaints on here about psycholgical price barriers being broken.  Its been trotted out whenever product prices go up, its not that long ago that people on here complained bitterly about the £100 diesel, and foretold that they "would never sell".

As for the idea that they are only visible from certain angles, ie from above, thats the angle that most layouts are viewed from I'd say. Perhaps working fans are more relevant than underframe detail, much of which isnt seen until the train derails!

Trouble is that a lot of us on here are a mixture of old, miserable, opinionated, complainers (including myself), clinging on to tension lock couplings, H&M duettes and train set curves. For every new feature there's a bunch of naysayers that need 15 years to be convinced.  

Anyway when are these locos arriving, cant be long now, surely?

• Like 3
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I was going to let run 2 slip by, with nothing appropriate for a late 70's machine based at either HM, IM, MR, TE or TI. But then I did a bit of digging for 37's with WR style lamp irons allocated to the ER and came up with two, 37246 & 37249. Both of which subsequently received 'standard' irons positioned by the tail lights, in addition to the WR ones. Curiously at some point, 37246 had the WR irons bent around so that they would be compatible with a standard lamp!

37249 in 1977 (John Woolley's Flickr).

37249_1977_03_Goole

37246, in later condition but clearly showing the bent lamp irons! (Kevin Robinson's Flickr).

37246 SB

So unless any guru's can think of any issues, with the addition of the extra set of standard irons, I believe D6992 is a candidate for renumbering to 37249. Of course it'll need the decoration converting to the TOPs era style.

Regards,

Cameron

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I’m keen to see the production samples for the split box ones. Also if they land after 21st April then I get an extra month to pay for the one I ordered from Rails on the credit card.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mophead45143 said:

37249_1977_03_Goole

Interestingly in that picture 37249 looks to have had a partially removed apron around the right side bufferbeam.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Interestingly in that picture 37249 looks to have had a partially removed apron around the right side bufferbeam.

It’s the little trim pieces that tidy things up around the buffers. These were also missing on 37116 and 37183 when they ran in Large Logo with the skirts still in place.

3 hours ago, The Ghost of IKB said:

Trouble is that a lot of us on here are a mixture of old, miserable, opinionated, complainers (including myself), clinging on to tension lock couplings, H&M duettes and train set curves. For every new feature there's a bunch of naysayers that need 15 years to be convinced.  

OMOCs  -  old, miserable, opinionated, complainers.  A handy addition to the vocabulary (myself included).

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, Mike Buckner said:

OMOCs  -  old, miserable, opinionated, complainers.  A handy addition to the vocabulary (myself included).

Sometimes i think I am surrounded by BOMOCs… Bored old, miserable, opinionated, complainers.

Of course you could change the M for L (lazy).

Edited by adb968008
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Sometimes i think I am surrounded by BOMOCs… Bored old, miserable, opinionated, complainers.

Of course you could change the M for L (lazy).

I could, but can't be bothered.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Mophead45143 said:

I was going to let run 2 slip by, with nothing appropriate for a late 70's machine based at either HM, IM, MR, TE or TI. But then I did a bit of digging for 37's with WR style lamp irons allocated to the ER and came up with two, 37246 & 37249. Both of which subsequently received 'standard' irons positioned by the tail lights, in addition to the WR ones. Curiously at some point, 37246 had the WR irons bent around so that they would be compatible with a standard lamp!

37249_1977_03_Goole

37246, in later condition but clearly showing the bent lamp irons! (Kevin Robinson's Flickr).

37246 SB

So unless any guru's can think of any issues, with the addition of the extra set of standard irons, I believe D6992 is a candidate for renumbering to 37249. Of course it'll need the decoration converting to the TOPs era style.

Regards,

Cameron

Two issues I can see Cameron … 37249 has no nose end skirts and also has the reinforced coupling area… both are at odds with the D6992 model

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, The Ghost of IKB said:

Well, I'm 60 so I don't consider myself old, just well worn, I do have opinions, granted, and sometimes complain, but hopefully with good humour, I run a mix of tension locks (perfect name for old complainers) and a well known brand of magnetic coupler, H&M were a coach company based in Burntwood, Staffs, so as far as I know never produced a DCC controller, hence my use of a Roco Multimaus, and the new layout in the garage when I move house in the next few months will allow me to ditch the trainset curves outside the fiddle yard.  That might be why I'm generally happy with contemporary RTR (yes, even Hornby, when they do a good job, my beef is with the way they deal with their retailers) and am in hock to Accurascale for multiple pre-orders!

• Like 6
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Mike Buckner said:

Will the layout in the garage include a garage in the layout?

A whole block next to the Council houses.  Possibly even with a pink Cadillac with steamy windows I once genuinely witnessed from the Ffestiniog Railway when approaching Blaenau, complete with suspension testing rocking motion, parked in a block of lock up garages on the edge of town.

I wonder how easy it would be to simulate coital suspension testing on an Oxford Diecast Cadillac...

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

3 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Two issues I can see Cameron … 37249 has no nose end skirts and also has the reinforced coupling area… both are at odds with the D6992 model

I see, I had forgotten about the reinforcement for the couplings, and not spotted the partial skirt removal around the buffers.

Maybe something in run 3 then!

Cheers,

Cameron 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, franciswilliamwebb said:

Pushing 64, I think I’m just about “run in” 👌🏻

Apparently only after you've run forwards for half an hour then backwards. 

• Funny 9