Class 37, by Accurascale

• Accurascale staff
4 hours ago, 97406 said:

Think that’s one of the decorated samples.

Hi @97406, 

Correct, they are still the first painted samples. As per the update provided last week the first three production samples we have received are 37419, 37423 and 37425. All the rest are the old samples. Once production samples of these others roll in on the phased delivery basis in the coming weeks and months we will show them to you all!

https://www.accurascale.com/blogs/news/a-first-look-at-class-37-production-samples-and-delivery-schedule-update

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @97406, 

Correct, they are still the first painted samples. As per the update provided last week the first three production samples we have received are 37419, 37423 and 37425. All the rest are the old samples. Once production samples of these others roll in on the phased delivery basis in the coming weeks and months we will show them to you all!

https://www.accurascale.com/blogs/news/a-first-look-at-class-37-production-samples-and-delivery-schedule-update

Cheers!

Fran 

The horn grilles and the headlight are what gives it away, as I know they'll be different on the production batch.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GD said:

Not sure the clear lights in the headcodes are too convincing in the scottish one. Still a nice looking loco though.

Agree the box marker lenses would look much better opaque....

Should the White Stripes not be continuous under the cab doors with no gaps ?

• Like 1

• Accurascale staff
12 minutes ago, tractor_37260 said:

Agree the box marker lenses would look much better opaque....

Should the White Stripes not be continuous under the cab doors with no gaps ?

To re-iterate, the reiteration above, the photo is a DECO sample, not production, and the marker lights are opaque and the white stripe correct on the production example, which will be landing in phases as outlined above. Hope that helps!

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

39 minutes ago, McC said:

To re-iterate, the reiteration above, the photo is a DECO sample, not production, and the marker lights are opaque and the white stripe correct on the production example, which will be landing in phases as outlined above. Hope that helps!

Keep saying it Steve and one day......one day.....😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, McC said:

You'll be expecting diesel obsessed internet critic-warriors to actually read AND comprehend what you post.  I gave up on that expectation a long time ago in the era of dial up.

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

34 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Windscreens look better than the Bachmann “ president’s motorcade “ bullet proof version 

I'm sure when the production models arrive there will be lots of positives, areas where the Accurascale 37 will be better than the Bachmann one (the one piece nose is an obvious win for Accurascale) but if you can't see that the windscreens on this model are the weak point vs the Bachmann one you just aren't looking. 

• Agree 2

• Accurascale staff
21 minutes ago, richscylla said:

I'm sure when the production models arrive there will be lots of positives, areas where the Accurascale 37 will be better than the Bachmann one (the one piece nose is an obvious win for Accurascale) but if you can't see that the windscreens on this model are the weak point vs the Bachmann one you just aren't looking. 

Perhaps best to wait for the production models before making calls good or bad :) 

• Like 7
  • Agree 11
  • Funny 1

3 minutes ago, McC said:

Perhaps best to wait for the production models before making calls good or bad :) 

Are the windscreens significantly different on the production models to the production samples? (If they are it seems that these aren't really samples of the production run as they name would suggest). 

It just looks that the way they have been designed, which I'm sure was done for a good reason and has benefits elsewhere, means that the windscreens aren't going to look as good as they are made up on the insert. Add to that, some will (as we've already seen and you've admitted) be fit less than perfectly or could come loose with slightly over zealous handling it just looks like this will be the weak point of the model. So unless the whole design concept has been re-done between production sample and production model (which clearly it won't have been) then I think we can start to make judgements. That's ultimately why you show us production samples in super high res professional photography isn't it?

You're making models and I'm sure it's impossible to get things perfect due to the scaling down of a huge prototype which comes with challenges and material and manufacturing tolerances. Whoever is designing these models has made a choice, and to my eye it seems they made great choice when designing the nose and a less great choice making the windscreens, but maybe one necessitated the other? I don't know, but I'm sure your designers had their reasons and I'm sure they stand by them. Doesn't mean another company making another decision can't have made a better one? No. 

• Agree 1

Of course, choice is a great thing for us customers. But I guess for you guys it creates direct comparisons which can be good, bad or indifferent depending on how your model stands up against the competition's efforts. That's all that is happening here.

I have no expectations for you to come out and praise your competition or point out flaws in your own model,  like you say you have skin in the game and you should (rightly) be proud of your efforts. But it doesn't stop the community/customers having a debate or conversation on a public forum that was set up by modellers for modellers. It's great that we can use this forum to speak directly with the powers behind (some of) the manufacturers that make our hobby great, but occasionally it gets a little annoying that we can't say something slightly negative without people from those companies bringing out the overly defensive posts or the PR talk and spin or even just laughing emojis. I'm not talking directly about your post tonight Fran, all perfectly reasonable and I'm interested to see a competitors model with replacement glazing in in the flesh. 

It's a balance because some companies don't interact and that means we can discuss pros and cons of their models to our hearts content but don't get that personal touch that is great on occasion too, or a burning question answered straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak. Talking of which, I still don't really understand how the final production models are different to the production samples. Genuinely thought they were a random sample of the production run sent ahead so companies could do reviews/promo pictures/whatever else. Can you clear that up?

• Like 1

• Accurascale staff
22 minutes ago, richscylla said:

Of course, choice is a great thing for us customers. But I guess for you guys it creates direct comparisons which can be good, bad or indifferent depending on how your model stands up against the competition's efforts. That's all that is happening here.

I have no expectations for you to come out and praise your competition or point out flaws in your own model,  like you say you have skin in the game and you should (rightly) be proud of your efforts. But it doesn't stop the community/customers having a debate or conversation on a public forum that was set up by modellers for modellers. It's great that we can use this forum to speak directly with the powers behind (some of) the manufacturers that make our hobby great, but occasionally it gets a little annoying that we can't say something slightly negative without people from those companies bringing out the overly defensive posts or the PR talk and spin or even just laughing emojis. I'm not talking directly about your post tonight Fran, all perfectly reasonable and I'm interested to see a competitors model with replacement glazing in in the flesh. 

It's a balance because some companies don't interact and that means we can discuss pros and cons of their models to our hearts content but don't get that personal touch that is great on occasion too, or a burning question answered straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak. Talking of which, I still don't really understand how the final production models are different to the production samples. Genuinely thought they were a random sample of the production run sent ahead so companies could do reviews/promo pictures/whatever else. Can you clear that up?

Hi Rich,

I appreciate that you said my post above is balanced, but I don’t think I have been overly defensive before or full of PR spin? I really try not to be, and I’m happy to communicate and be open once obviously respect is reciprocated the other way too. I think that’s very important. I even chip in late at night after office hours after working 8 days straight as we’re passionate about our models and our customers. I’m not saying you have been disrespectful by the way, but I’m confused by that element of your post to be honest. You might disagree, but I think it’s a tad unfair. 

Indeed, RMWeb was set up by modellers for modellers (isn’t that a tagline for a model railway manufacturer? LOL) as was Accurascale. Do you feel we shouldn’t engage?

Production models are off the production line for us. Perhaps I didn’t explain that properly last week. We feed back on that and recommend some final tweaks around assembly or areas like DCC programming etc.

Cheers!

Fran

Edited by Accurascale Fran
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 8

2 hours ago, richscylla said:

Windscreens , not windscreen shape. Better than the prismatic , highly over thick Bachmann ones which make it look toy like in that area - or resemble the windshield off the machine below .

B167D2F8-8274-49FC-835F-1D52D49D569A.png.b559067ddf3bf2a025b8bf6240db52f8.png

I am looking, but having not ordered one , as the original ones are out my era I have the luxury of awaiting the production version for a close up.

Edited by rob D2
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Windscreens , not windscreen shape. Better than the prismatic , highly over thick Bachmann ones which make it look toy like in that area.

I am looking, but having not ordered one , as the original ones are out my era I have the luxury of awaiting the production version for a close up.

Fair enough, from what Fran says it sounds like there is an option from EE for those now. 

28 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Rich,

I appreciate that you said my post above is balanced, but I don’t think I have been overly defensive before or full of PR spin? I really try not to be, and I’m happy to communicate and be open once obviously respect is reciprocated the other way too. I think that’s very important. I even chip in late at night after office hours after working 8 days straight as we’re passionate about our models and our customers. I’m not saying you have been disrespectful by the way, but I’m confused by that element of your post to be honest. You might disagree, but I think it’s a tad unfair. 

Indeed, RMWeb was set up by modellers for modellers (isn’t that a tagline for a model railway manufacturer? LOL) as was Accurascale. Do you feel we shouldn’t engage?

Production models are off the production line for us. Perhaps I didn’t explain that properly last week. We feed back on that and recommend some final tweaks around assembly or areas like DCC programming etc.

Cheers!

Fran

I'm not saying you should, or shouldn't engage, I'm sure there are pros and cons for you doing so and it's up to each company to choose how they interact with these forums. I guess as you become a manufacturer as well as a modeller it does make things more difficult though, I'm sure 10 years ago you could have said the latest Hornby model had an incorrectly represented wing nut without causing a Anchor Man style fight out the back of an exhibition hall.

Like I said, I like that we can interact with yourselves and the other manufacturers that are on the forum, I think that's great but you must admit at times there are times where you see things being said that you (as a company) feel you want to respond to. There are just good ways and bad ways about doing that. I'm really not having a dig at you personally in either tonight's posts or previous ones and it's obvious you care deeply and work the long hours repping your company (make sure it's all well documented for the annual PDR). Tiresome laughing emojis from others at any post that dares to air an opinion that isn't 100% favourable does get old quickly though.

Thanks for the clarification on that, although I still don't think it will change my views on the windscreen shape in this instance but we will see and I'll happily admit I was wrong if I look at a production model and feel differently.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

I for one am looking forward to mine arriving, whether it needs fettling or not. I am currently working on the expensive competition, which is a scary propect given its price.

Edited by 97406

57 minutes ago, 97406 said:

I for one am looking forward to mine arriving, whether it needs fettling or not. I am currently working on the expensive competition, which is a scary propect given its price.

I would be interested to know what you are fettling as I have a couple on the go and have improved a few areas as well as made some changes to fit a specific prototype example (but perhaps that’s for another part of the forum).  On price, for me the difference is in the wash now - I picked up my examples of the other model for £180 posted.

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Nick-L said:

I would be interested to know what you are fettling as I have a couple on the go and have improved a few areas as well as made some changes to fit a specific prototype example (but perhaps that’s for another part of the forum).  On price, for me the difference is in the wash now - I picked up my examples of the other model for £180 posted.

Fitting Laserglaze to the front cab windscreens (and maybe more of the windows if I feel like it) on the Bachmann one. I’m not bothering with anything else as that is the main feature that needs addressing.

With the Accurascale model, depending on how the production version looks, I am thinking of removing and resetting my  the inner windscreen moulding so it sits a little flusher in its surroundings, as the ridge looks a little too pronounced on what I’ve seen so far. Possibly also fill the seam a little with diluted acrylic paint applied with a small pointy brush, a technique I’ve already used on the Bachmann 37 to reduce the appearance of the nose seams without the need to fill and respray. It has helped, but the seam remains visible, just not as much as out of the box.

I’ll post what I do on the AS one on here as I can see it looking absolutely the mutt’s nuts after a little work. Of course when I have it on the workbench, I may not need to do anything, but I have a plan for if I do! 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 97406 said:

I’ll post what I do on the AS one on here as I can see it looking absolutely the mutt’s nuts after a little work. Of course when I have it on the workbench, I may not need to do anything, but I have a plan for if I do! 

Any chance of sharing your plans?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, newbryford said:

Any chance of sharing your plans?

It will be documented with pics when I have a banger blue stripey one (or an LL one if that comes first) to play with. Will be posting pics of t'other one as I go along too over the next few days.

• Like 1