Class 37, by Accurascale

Well I paid off my invoice some time ago having ordered a couple of models 3 years ago. I’ve been sulking since Fridays announcement of yet another delay. I feel like a kid who’s been told that Christmas has been postponed yet again. Disappointed, very disappointed. But I don’t blame Accurascale at all. The world is a crazy place these days. I’m pretty sure the lads at Accurascale are far more disappointed than I. Our models will arrive soon enough. There’s no point in any of us getting bent out of shape over the delays. 
But a message to Accurascale, carry on as planned and announceme what is to come in the next batch. I’m sure a Leicestershire based competitor will be focusing their efforts in this quarter. No competition for their class 20 so I expect I’ll have to wait for 148 or something suitable to tickle with the Tcut and transfers. 
I don’t yet own an Accurascale product, purely because the West Highland extension didn’t have MGRs, Nuclear traffic or chaldrons etc.
My respect for those guys running the show has gained my brand loyalty, im

absolutely confident that these beasts will be worth the wait and delays and I look forward to ordering the next loco(s) of interest. A nice banger blue RSH example with cutaway cowels and oval buffers would be very well received. 
Ive had my strop, but it was only at my own frustration, not at the manufacturer.

Lets just have one final bout of patience and pray to God that China doesn’t invade Taiwan.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, jonnyuk said:

i could be wrong (i have not ordered a 37 i have no axe to grind) but is the issue that AS have asked for payment with the promise of the loco arriving in the next few weeks, payments made and now the loco is 3 months away?

I paid for my rake of 36 Cavalex HAAs just before the issue was found. Still haven’t got them despite having paid out over £1K, but that is life and I am sure Cavalex, Trains4U and KMS are more fed up by it all than me. 

Similarly, I am sure Accurascale are desperate to get their models in their customers hands. 

Roy

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

We absolutely understand the frustration, and believe me, nobody is more frustrated than us with the situation. When we offered the update in October it was based on the information given on the factory. None of us were to know that the Chinese government would radically change their standpoint on Covid and now have 900 million people infected with the virus. As stated in the update it now runs into Chinese New Year, so another 3-4 weeks ground lost on production. All timelines given are given in good faith by us as it’s what the factory tell us. They give it in good faith too, like October, but stuff like government policy on a global pandemic can cause issue. As plenty have pointed out, all companies, both model railway and other manufacturing outlets. If you want evidence of the issue just look at other announcements this week in the model rail industry and associated delays.

Once again we apologise for the delay, but believe us when we say nobody wants them here more than us. We’re doing everything possible to get them here and in your hands.

Cheers!

Fran 

Fran I really don’t think you have to apologies on the basis of one post the majority of followers understand and accept the situation that is happening In the real world and some of us are also affected, as stated before keep up the great work you are doing and keep the faith

• Like 2
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Perhaps when, as in my case, you have lost a parent to Covid, you are a little more patient and understanding?

Some things are really important, our models are not. 

Roy

Nothing more important in life than life itself .

So I'm sorry for your loss.

My O.P. asked whether anyone thought the delivery dates for forthcoming models were realistic .

Recent missed dates suggest they're not hence my view that it's probably better to say nothing about delivery dates than pick dates out of the air which then come and go .

That said , it is all rather petty when set against the loss of a loved one.

Nevertheless,  it wasn't unreasonable to ask the question. 

Albie

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I think it’s brilliant the way Accurascale has the time and energy to interact on here …and quite the opposite of how some companies operate. 

Delays are unfortunate - and can’t be helped . I won’t say it’s “ first world problems “ as I detest that phrase , but I’ve still got 25 years modelling or so left so as long as I get my 50 in that period I’ll be happy !

• Like 5
  • Agree 8
  • Thanks 1

It’s not the end of the world at the end of the day so not really a massive problem.

Always more to come anyway, and looking at Run 1 (the liveries that is), Run 2 should be just as good! (Better see if I can find some wiggle room for a second 37/7 to go with 37 714)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• Accurascale staff
1 hour ago, The Ghost of IKB said:

Me too. I'd rather pay when they are nearer to delivery, I've still not finished paying for Xmas this year.

Hi guys,

We will of course extend this to when the locos arrive in stock. Apologies for not addressing this last night.

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, jonnyuk said:

i could be wrong (i have not ordered a 37 i have no axe to grind) but is the issue that AS have asked for payment with the promise of the loco arriving in the next few weeks, payments made and now the loco is 3 months away?

Don't you also think that AS had to make payments on products now delated too?

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, TomScrut said:

And so it should be, you're effectively lending them money not the other way round!

AS would have already made the payments for them, so a buyers tiny 'loan' keeps the unit prices down going forwards

53 minutes ago, reddragon said:

AS would have already made the payments for them, so a buyers tiny 'loan' keeps the unit prices down going forwards

54 minutes ago, reddragon said:

Don't you also think that AS had to make payments on products now delated too?

Maybe so, although (and willing to be corrected here) I doubt the models are fully paid for until they are finished (possibly even signed off in the UK), it will probably be on some sort of stage payment and letter of credit system that Accurascale will know about before they even place an order. Not saying it's not something to sympathise with them about, but it's not a reason for us to hand our money over early IMO.

If the company is dependent on people paying for models up front then it would be more like what @newbryfordwas saying (tongue in cheek) yesterday in the thread (crowdfunding by stealth I think the term was). I do however, doubt that is the case. I fully expect their business model is orientated around people paying for stuff when it arrives, like the rest of the industry.

It is also worth noting that the stage payments of stuff coming from China would probably apply to the other manufacturers (other than Bachmann perhaps with the Kader link), not just Accurascale. Actually it probably applies to almost anything you walk into a shop and buy that has originated there.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

If the company is dependent on people paying for models up front then it would be more like what @newbryfordwas saying yesterday in the thread (crowdfunding by stealth I think the term was).

Which bit of the smiley face did you miss?

• Funny 1

2 minutes ago, scumcat said:

I like paying in instalments it helps me out, however I am not naive enough to believe it’s all about being good for me.

Exactly. I aren't being critical of anyone doing it. I just don't see AS having had to lay a load of cash out as a reason to do it (as is what @reddragon was inferring).

3 minutes ago, scumcat said:

but the big negative for me is that the £1000 is with the company if things go belly up.

There is that, which is one aspect to it. The other aspect for me is even if I have the money I would rather still be in control of that for as long as possible.

1 minute ago, newbryford said:

Which bit of the smiley face did you miss?

I wasn't suggesting you were making an accusation, but putting a smiley face after it doesn't change what you actually said in terms of it's relevance to what I said IMO, where I was also clear in saying I don't think that is the case. Apologies if you disagree, and I will adjust my post to make it clear it was tongue in cheek on your part.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Where is all this crowdfunding/loans tosh coming from. Accurascale don’t ask for any payment other than a small deposit prior to the models being in stock. Any payment in advance is voluntary. 

It feels like some posts are trying to create a problem where none exists. 

Roy

• Like 2
  • Agree 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Accurascale staff
20 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Where is all this crowdfunding/loans tosh coming from. Accurascale don’t ask for any payment other than a small deposit prior to the models being in stock. Any payment in advance is voluntary. 

Roy

Indeed Roy. By supporting almost 140 retails shops you can in many cases preorder with nothing down or wait for the stock to land as we try to gauge numbers to have a little headroom. 

On the cash point of view, no stock leaves China without being paid in full and no work starts on assembly without down payments. For clarity we have many unpaid orders for the 37 alone as well as vast sums already paid out to China that now has to wait. 

On top of that all the other projects have to keep moving and the new projects tooling has to be done and samples made and so on. 

I don’t think anyone is naive enough to suggest our business model has even a slight crowdfunding connection :) 

Edited by McC
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 4

20 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Apologies, it started from a comment of mine a while back. No intention of creating a problem, and I don't think one has been created either.

8 minutes ago, McC said:

On the cash point of view, no stock leaves China without being paid in full and no work starts on assembly without down payments. For clarity we have many unpaid orders for the 37 alone as well as vast sums already paid out to China that now has to wait.

I do feel for you in the situation, so don't take my comments as being unsympathetic. It is more that as much as you have your cash flow to look after so do I with mine 😅

4 minutes ago, McC said:

I don’t think anyone is naive enough to suggest our business model has even a slight crowdfunding connection :)

I certainly don't feel like I have, my intention in my post above was to explain that I felt it was quite the opposite.

• RMweb Premium

Im sure these guys get enough grief off the good old HMRC without us lot analizing there business,i see theres even a thread popped into existance with there tax details..........the 37,s will come so lets not give them stick over stuff thats out of their hands.They have done so much good and been open all throught it,lets cut some slack and talk trains.

• Agree 7
  • Thanks 1