Class 37, by Accurascale

2 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Ok, as an aside then, your starter for 10!

Which was the first loco to lose its split headcodes for centre ones?

Mike.

D6791 first then D6773 and D6774, the latter 2 believed to be as they crashed into each other. D6772 felt left out so later in life also got a centre box at one end only. Then came the ones Laira mutilated ;37031/047/053

• Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, 37114 said:

D6791 first then D6773 and D6774, the latter 2 believed to be as they crashed into each other. D6772 felt left out so later in life also got a centre box at one end only. Then came the ones Laira mutilated ;37031/047/053

Possibly the best feature of RMweb is the ability for someone to pass on the knowledge like this. 

Would those split > centre conversions all retain their nose horns ? Pretty sure the Laira ones did. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, Covkid said:

Possibly the best feature of RMweb is the ability for someone to pass on the knowledge like this. 

Would those split > centre conversions all retain their nose horns ? Pretty sure the Laira ones did. 

The Laira conversions were done in a different era for different reasons, Doncaster did the job properly back in the day and fitted roof mounted horns!

Mike.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Covkid said:

6773 seemed to a fighter as even after its first nose job, it got another busted nose…

31221 & 37073 Doncaster Works 22.6.86

D6773 as 37073, 1984.. flickr url, not mine.

and the first prang..

37073 p

again flickr url, not mine,

edit…

it was definitely a Northern friday night raver… even at its very end, it appears to have had a 3rd busted nose…

DSCF0037

another flickr url, not mine..

(as side of the prang at the front end, look at the droop at the rear cab.)

(but at least the horn question is answered)

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, Covkid said:

I have been patiently waiting for Accurascale to announce the second wave of class 37 developments - the centre headcode "Welsh ones". It has occurred to me that A/S have announced production of pretty much every development - starting with the 37/6, then the first split headcode 37s, then the Scottish 37/0s, then the Cambrian 97/3. 

I am a patient guy though 😬

Me too! 

10 hours ago, adb968008 said:

6773 seemed to a fighter as even after its first nose job, it got another busted nose…

I can't see Accurascale going to the works and asking if they can run a 3D scan before they fix one that's been  in prang.

Even if they did, I can't see the works allowing them to do it.

Anyway, doesn't that tail lamp indicate it didn't have a busted nose - it got one hell of a kick up the backside!

• Like 1

On 20/04/2022 at 08:45, Covkid said:

I have been patiently waiting for Accurascale to announce the second wave of class 37 developments - the centre headcode "Welsh ones". It has occurred to me that A/S have announced production of pretty much every development - starting with the 37/6, then the first split headcode 37s, then the Scottish 37/0s, then the Cambrian 97/3. 

I am a patient guy though 😬

WR ones? Yes please!! In green (as built), and early blue with D numbers pre late 68 (presuming there were any?)

• Agree 1

On 20/04/2022 at 23:31, adb968008 said:

D6773 as 37073, 1984.. flickr url, not mine.

and the first prang..

37073 p

again flickr url, not mine,

edit…

it was definitely a Northern friday night raver… even at its very end, it appears to have had a 3rd busted nose…

DSCF0037

another flickr url, not mine..

(as side of the prang at the front end, look at the droop at the rear cab.)

(but at least the horn question is answered)

Yep it got pranged when in France hence the damaged front/droopy rear cab. The generator lives on in 37003 from memory.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Since the dash lights up on these i guess the yellow paint lines on Lord Hintons wheels will be there on the model....................cough cough......

Should be present on all locos with tyres fitted to detect slippage. Normally they are white. 

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

I had forgot about seeing this on the west coast ML in 2019

image.png.feebaf35abf7f55e86039cd45507e17f.png

image.png

I wonder why the orange cantrail stripe is lower on the modern large logo repaints, as opposed to being on the join between the blue and the grey. Make it stand out a bit more?

46 minutes ago, 97406 said:

I wonder why the orange cantrail stripe is lower on the modern large logo repaints, as opposed to being on the join between the blue and the grey. Make it stand out a bit more?

I suspect a change in the rules regarding distances from OHLE.

Bruce 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 26/04/2022 at 12:43, 37114 said:

Yep it got pranged when in France hence the damaged front/droopy rear cab. The generator lives on in 37003 from memory.

37003 did indeed receive the power unit/generator from 073 when it was at the EARM, most of the air tanks from 073 went into 37275 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 27/04/2022 at 22:57, 92912 said:

37003 did indeed receive the power unit/generator from 073 when it was at the EARM, most of the air tanks from 073 went into 37275 

The power unit served us (C37LG) well until 2013 when it presented it's own challenges; firstly with leaking cylinder liners and latterly (2019) with the discovery that the main crank was cracked. As it stands the top end of the ex-073 power unit is being fitted to the replacement block/crank that we have been able to source. Work on this is progressing well and we hope that we will be able to announce the completion of this in the near future.

- James (C37LG)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

Appreciate not strictly c37 related, but have you chaps at accurascale any plans in the pipeline for a run of various brake vans to compliment some of the excellent wagons you are churning out? 
I suspect there might be one or two of us in the que for those, if so! 

JM.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Super-Sloth said:

Appreciate not strictly c37 related, but have you chaps at accurascale any plans in the pipeline for a run of various brake vans to compliment some of the excellent wagons you are churning out? 

JM.

Perfect post for the more model ideas thread

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Super-Sloth said:

JM.

Personally happy with the existing offerings - Hornby 20T standard and Stanier brakevans, Bachmann SR pillbox, and any number of WR Toads.

I would much prefer Accuracale to continue their quest for "Building Britain" with hoppers and steel carriers.  A decent BR standard 21T hopper TOPS code HTO and HTV in original and rebodied form is crying out to be done. Also the various ironstone and mineral hoppers like the HJV and HKV and forerunners

• Like 4

Sad to see 37409 being put on the disposals list by DRS.

Wasn't it recently repainted into Large Logo as part of the 'retro liveries' that also saw 425 in RR and 419 in Intercity?

I was about to order from a retailer but will hang off now and wait to see what the future holds for her... (preservation or part-out/scrap)

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

Sad to see 37409 being put on the disposals list by DRS.

Wasn't it recently repainted into Large Logo as part of the 'retro liveries' that also saw 425 in RR and 419 in Intercity?

I was about to order from a retailer but will hang off now and wait to see what the future holds for her... (preservation or part-out/scrap)

I very much doubt it will go for scrap, and as a large logo blue one, It wont need repainting out of DRS.

I can see at least 3 mainline operators aiming for this, maybe as many as 5, forget preservation just yet.

I suspect 409 was put up as a tester, to see what a 37/4 is worth.

its a bit like 20 years ago when DB stood down there 37’s and DRS swooped in… 419 was “a dead cert scrapper” if you listened to the wibble way back then too… done well hasnt it.

37’s are still good machines, and at £3mn a pop for a poor battery hybrid substitute, and a near enough ban on new diesels, what weve got will need to make do and mend a while… HS2 will swallow 60+ locomotives once the real work starts… and theres not much to pick from at the moment, outside of Toton.

I suspect thats why GBRF are bulking up on 69’s, Euroimports and class 99’s to free up capacity for HS2 contracts for aging 66’s , DBS will probably do the same with Euro sheds, and perhaps thats why Freightliner hasnt despatched its 86’s quite just yet.

What happened to 37405 ? Wasnt that on the January tender list  ?

Edited by adb968008
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1