Can you still get round French depots?

alcazar

Seven or eight years ago I used to regularly visit French sheds, almost always being given a guided tour, some even offering to move locos for me to better photographic sites.

At a few I was told it was OK to go round, let us know when you've finished, but if the SNCF police come, we haven't seen you. That was outskirts of Paris, mind.

The only places I was refused since I had no permit were the Paris central sheds of La Chappelle, ad La Villette.......I DID get permission to go round Paris Sud-Ouest, though, as well as Sud-Est and Charolais.

However, last summer I was in the area near Avignon, and walked to the depot and asked, as usual, only to be politely refused. This was one of the sheds I'd been to twice before and had tours and moved locos. An approach at Miramas, 20 miles away got me round as usual.

So..........anyone know what it's like now? Has it all tightened up since 9/11? Or did I just approach Avignon at the wrong time, since the lady I spoke to did tell me the shedmaster was away at a meeting?

Maybe you missed the hint there. Read between the lines: no, you can't go round. The shedmaster is at a meeting.

Probably meant: have a look round, the shedmaster's at a meeting, so he won't see you.

Maybe you missed the hint there. Read between the lines: no, you can't go round. The shedmaster is at a meeting.

Probably meant: have a look round, the shedmaster's at a meeting, so he won't see you.

Nope, my French is good enough to do OK in pretty angry arguments, if needed, so I can do "read between the lines". The lady was very apologetic, no-one to give me permission and no-one avilable for a tour, couldn't let me in on my own, etc.

Anyone else tried recently?

While French railways really aren't my thing , I recall reading online that they had had a big security crackdown in the wake of the various terrorist attacks in Europe.

I believe the operation was known as "vigipirat" , and basically things like access to depots and non-passenger areas was restricted ,along with a heavier police/security presence.

I'm not sure if the process is still in place, or indeed what sort of level of vigilance is in place , but assuming they are on a similar alert level to ourselves , I wouldn't expect to get far.

• 3 weeks later...

The above is pretty much what I thought. I'll be in Limoges this summer and the depot is right next to the station, so I can but try.

Thats where I will be in July. I have found that when I take pictures of departmental trains in the past around the branch lines in the area that they do give rather odd looks and when I was in Ussel taking pictures of a stationary train in a platform the driver was looking very concerned at me. I have not been asked to move along but I know some people have in the recent past in public places such as stations. However I have heard that it is quite hit and miss in terms of what you can do and where.

I doubt I would get to go around the shed in Limoges this summer (although I might try if I can manage to get there with someone who speaks better French than me) so I would be very interested to hear about your adventure into the depot there.

I never knew that it was possible to get access to sheds like that in France. It is certainly something I would not have thought to ask about without seeing this topic.

While French railways really aren't my thing , I recall reading online that they had had a big security crackdown in the wake of the various terrorist attacks in Europe.

I believe the operation was known as "vigipirat" , and basically things like access to depots and non-passenger areas was restricted ,along with a heavier police/security presence.

I'm not sure if the process is still in place, or indeed what sort of level of vigilance is in place , but assuming they are on a similar alert level to ourselves , I wouldn't expect to get far.

It's Vigipirate, and in France it's the red level for vigipirate.

That mean, there is a real threat, they can be terrorist attack so we protect us, a lot of military patrol and police patrol turn into main station and main airport. Also with the sensitive point like La Defense or Le Champ de Mars. Because of this and other thing we can't go anymore in cab train, or visit main sheds.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Jed. I'll try, but I won't hold my breath.

Stephen: the only place I've been picked up whilst photographing and videoing is Toulouse Matabiau station, where I was approached by two plainclothes police officers, who asked if I had permission.

My response that I didn't know I needed it as it was a public place, led to me being told it wasn't important, but that a request to the station manager was best. I have done this since everywhere, and never had problems, just sometimes a lecture on safety, but since I have a high-vis vest in my camera bag, they are usually happy. (It came from Hull, Botanic Gardens on the day of it's closure).

Taking pics of TRAINS, however, especially at stations, has found me being asked for copies by the driver.

• RMweb Gold

Vigipirat is not usually a long drawn out affair but restricted to a relatively short period - easy to tell when it's on as you're likely to see armed troops patrolling with police on the large stations. If they stop you to carry out a search don't argue - the rifles have butts for a reason :rolleyes:

Vigipirat is not usually a long drawn out affair but restricted to a relatively short period - easy to tell when it's on as you're likely to see armed troops patrolling with police on the large stations. If they stop you to carry out a search don't argue - the rifles have butts for a reason :rolleyes:

The Police and soldiers aren't really the problem- the real pain are SUGE, who make the average nightclub bouncer look like a calm and reasonable being. Don't even think about arguing with them- they skipped the Philosophy classes at school. They have at various times beaten up police officers they disagreed with and even arrested a driver at Lyon Perrache for 'gross indecency' for having a leak out of his cab whilst waiting for signals at 02:00!

VIGIPIRATE can be comical at times- one permanent feature is the provision of barriers to stop parking outside schools and other public buildings; perhaps reasonable enough outside the Senate, but somewhat overdone when applied to the school in our village in Beaujolais. All that happens is that parents double park and block the road, causing far more of a risk than any potential terrorist.

I would think twice about bunking any depots- the problem is not railway staff themselves, but the security personnel. Even when taking photos on a small station, I would inform the station staff, if any were present. Friends who work for SNCF do this themselves when anywhere outside their home territory.

Archived