The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

UFOs - Is anybody out there?

Ohmisterporter

• RMweb Gold

Ok, this is only my take on the subject and I am incredibly ill-informed so probably shouldn't be taken any notice of, but anyway...

The universe is big, I mean really big; don't try to understand how big or you'll fry your brain.  Of course there is bound to be life out there, and a certain amount of it must be 'intelligent', whatever that is; any other conclusion is clearly irrational and untenable.  But the chances of any of them ever encountering any other of them, or us, are extremely low, I mean really low; don't try to understand how low or you'll fry your brain.  This is because, no matter how many trillions of developed alien 'civilisations', whatever they are, there are in existence out there, they are so incredibly far apart, I mean really far apart, that their species will become extinct in the natural order of things long before any of them get anywhere near enough to actually contact each other, or us.  So they, and we, can probably forget about it.

And it's no good developing something that will go faster than the speed of light to get the travel times down to something manageable, either.  You'll only go backwards in time and get there before their life forms have evolved into anything you can have a conversation with, and probably before their home planets' stars have coalesced out of the primordial interstellar dust.  In fact, you are limited to 14.5 billion years back in time anyway, as that's the big bang and there wasn't anything before that.  Don't try and think that there was; you'll fry your brain.

This is why you can't see any distance more than 14.5 billion light years, or trace anything further than that with radio telescopes or such.  The universe could easily be much bigger than we can be aware of; if we are on the outer edge there are likely to be galaxies 14.5 billion light years the other side of the event horizon location of the big bang, making them 29 billion light years away from us and therefore untraceable.

There can't be other universes; the word means exactly that, so the universe is by definition all there is.  But you can't have infinity either, because some clever d*ck is always going to +1.  So the universe can't be infinite, in which case what's beyond the edge?  Nothing, of course, I mean really nothing, the Outer Void, which brings me to the paradox; only nothing can be infinite, hence infinity cannot exist, since to exist something must be something, and hence finite and defined.  So there is no Outer Void...

I think therefore I am.  Or at least I think i am.  And what I am is someone that is going sit down in the corner with his thumb in his mouth drooling and gibbering at the thought of it all...

• Like 7
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Ok, this is only my take on the subject and I am incredibly ill-informed so probably shouldn't be taken any notice of, but anyway...

The universe is big, I mean really big; don't try to understand how big or you'll fry your brain.  Of course there is bound to be life out there, and a certain amount of it must be 'intelligent', whatever that is; any other conclusion is clearly irrational and untenable.  But the chances of any of them ever encountering any other of them, or us, are extremely low, I mean really low; don't try to understand how low or you'll fry your brain.  This is because, no matter how many trillions of developed alien 'civilisations', whatever they are, there are in existence out there, they are so incredibly far apart, I mean really far apart, that their species will become extinct in the natural order of things long before any of them get anywhere near enough to actually contact each other, or us.  So they, and we, can probably forget about it.

And it's no good developing something that will go faster than the speed of light to get the travel times down to something manageable, either.  You'll only go backwards in time and get there before their life forms have evolved into anything you can have a conversation with, and probably before their home planets' stars have coalesced out of the primordial interstellar dust.  In fact, you are limited to 14.5 billion years back in time anyway, as that's the big bang and there wasn't anything before that.  Don't try and think that there was; you'll fry your brain.

This is why you can't see any distance more than 14.5 billion light years, or trace anything further than that with radio telescopes or such.  The universe could easily be much bigger than we can be aware of; if we are on the outer edge there are likely to be galaxies 14.5 billion light years the other side of the event horizon location of the big bang, making them 29 billion light years away from us and therefore untraceable.

There can't be other universes; the word means exactly that, so the universe is by definition all there is.  But you can't have infinity either, because some clever d*ck is always going to +1.  So the universe can't be infinite, in which case what's beyond the edge?  Nothing, of course, I mean really nothing, the Outer Void, which brings me to the paradox; only nothing can be infinite, hence infinity cannot exist, since to exist something must be something, and hence finite and defined.  So there is no Outer Void...

I think therefore I am.  Or at least I think i am.  And what I am is someone that is going sit down in the corner with his thumb in his mouth drooling and gibbering at the thought of it all...

Were you having trouble sleeping, last night, Mr Johnster..?? :scratchhead::mosking:

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, The Johnster said:

The visible universe is actually about 14 billion parsecs in radius, or 45 billion light years, so much, much bigger than just the age x the speed of light.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, The Johnster said:

How we choose to define words doesn't limit what there is, so what you're actually doing is expanding the definition of universe further than is normally understood. It encompassed everything we could (in theory, if certainly not in practice) see and reach using conventional methods. When people started considering the possibility of more than that the question is whether the word should also be used to include those or not.

As for infinite, gets tricky, and into territory it's not really possible to get your head around. There isn't necessarily a paradox there - keep going (if you can put the expansion of the universe to the side) and you'll get back to where your started. But trying to get our heads around that, that space isn't the straightforward, consistent three-dimensional thing we're used to - don't try!

The ever-reliable Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy explains it all:

"Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space."

Edited by Reorte
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

There must be life somewhere out there in some shape or form.

There wouldn’t be life on Earth without water and water is from space. (Water also defies the laws of physics)

Water isn’t exclusive to Earth either.  Other planets millions of miles away could have water on them too.

Edited by PannierTanker14
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Reorte said:

Water defies the laws of physics?

Aye.

it gets bigger when it gets colder, and smaller when it gets hotter. Other Elements like iron do the opposite. In reality, all water should be a gas at normal temperature but it definitely isn’t. It’s the alien stuff that doesn’t make sense sometimes.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

Water isn't an element, in the chemistry sense.

C6T. 

...and the expansion of water as it freezes is well understood in terms of hydrogen bonds. Water is an unusual liquid but there's no mystery about the physics.

• Agree 1

And now I'm really grumpy.  The title of this thread sent me off on a search earlier for an item which now appears to have gone for good - the lovely 3" diameter RAF button badge which I've treasured since my flying days, with the slogan ...

UFOs are real. 

The RAF is an hallucination.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, spikey said:

And now I'm really grumpy.  The title of this thread sent me off on a search earlier for an item which now appears to have gone for good - the lovely 3" diameter RAF button badge which I've treasured since my flying days, with the slogan ...

UFOs are real. 

The RAF is an hallucination.

Someonething beamed it up,  they don't own want the evidence seen,  The truth is out there... Somewhere..